2005 Quattroporte For Sale - What Do I Need To Know? | FerrariChat

2005 Quattroporte For Sale - What Do I Need To Know?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by dave80gtsi, Aug 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Hey guys - There's a local dealer here who is offering a 2005 QP (billed as "Base Model") for sale. Looks nice in pictures, 48k miles, asking price of $16k.

I've always liked the looks of these, especially the posh interiors, but I know very little about them. I was hoping that someone here who is far more knowledgeable than me could point me towards a Buyer's Guide thread (or something similar) for this era and this model.

I've been wrenching on Italian cars for 4 decades, so I am not necessarily intimidated by this potential plunge into the abyss. But what sort of things / issues / details should I check out? Any known trouble spots? Reliability concerns? That sort of thing.

With many thanks - DM

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I would recommend going for the 2007 and up model as that has a ZF transmission versus the problematic and jerky single clutch. And to be even more specific I'd say go for the 2009 and up (I think it's 2009) where they switched to the 4.7 engine which isn't as prone to the variator issue.

3. peterpaul

peterpaul Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    I drove that model for a year and the transmission is very jerky. I would advise you drive the car before you buy it and see if it it acceptable to you. Apart from that I had minor Italian issues like a broken off gear box lever (known weakness, easy fix). some parts falling off, light under outer rear view mirror, rubber trim. But apart from that beautiful car and fantastic to drive on the motorway. Less for town use. Had no issues with the engine and gear-box below lever level.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Negotiate the sticky interior fix into the price because everything will get sticky....

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith