FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021....RACE....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀... | Page 20 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021....RACE....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀...

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's not only grip that's the problem, it's the lack of visibility created by the massive spray.

A skilled driver on his own can deal with a wet track, but when you are in the pack following other cars, you hit a constant wall of water.

And larger tyres only amplify the problem, as they lift more water.

ricksb likes this.
  2. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In "a bit of rain" yes; in heavy rain probably not.

Apart from a few who will try their luck, most will adopt a "survival mode" and just circulate without trying too much.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What pissed me off was that Quali was also delayed, and by the time they finally made a go of it, there where already cars out there on inters. And that's not the first time that happened, either.

The best way to help a track dry is to get fast cars to drive over it. Perhaps an idea is to hook a trailer with a HUGE V8 powered fan (a la brabham fan car) and shoot the water away from the track to do a lap. A hillbilly can build such a device for 5 grand. Got to be cheaper than another farce like this. And more than cheap enough to at least try. If it doesn't work, they pissed away 5 grand. If it does, they re-gain some credibility.

subirg likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The problem was that the rain on race day was unrelenting.

william likes this.
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you mean like the jet dryers Indy and NASCAR have been using for 30 years?

:p

(and, in fact, built by actual hillbillies)

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yeah:D

Hugh Conway, furoni and GuyIncognito like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Good after a shower, but useless if it pours down all day. We have them on drag strips in UK.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've seen them used on road courses to remove standing water and get the track to a race-able condition

obviously ovals and drag strips have much higher standards of dryness :)

william likes this.
  9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    F1's managing director Ross Brawn said the sport had no real flexibility over its decision due to the weather but defended half points being awarded.

"It's pretty rare to see a weekend where the weather has been so intense, so consistently," Brawn said. "Every effort was made to get the race underway safely and normally, there is a window when you can bring the safety car in, but that wasn't possible.

"Half points were awarded. It's not ideal but if you can't reward someone for the race, reward them for the bravery in qualifying. A lap like George Russell did in qualifying in the absence of a full race should be rewarded. As I say, it's not ideal, but it's where we are. The weather just wasn't in our corner on Sunday."

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not even going to comment on that ****-show and all that. What I did find funny was that Ric seems to be the only driver who thinks half points should have been awarded. What a joke! He lucked out that his teammate crashed out, Perez crashed out, and Bottas had a penalty.... and most importantly... that race was never raced. Best finish he's going to get this year. Ric getting 4th, Ham getting 3rd, Russell not being able to race after a near pole on merit, and Lando blowing his chance at a true pole and not beating Ric again are the real tragedies here.

william and 375+ like this.
  11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The best part of the entire coverage was watching Mick drive his father's Jordan car. And the best part of that for me was watching Seb come to the car and give him tips on the shifting. That was a great moment and you could see the genuine emotion from Mick afterwards. I thought that was great.

Hocakes, Bas, jcurry and 1 other person like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well of course Ross Brawn will justify this decision !

For me, the FIA hasn't shown any honesty or leadership in the circumstances, instead, they retreated behind obscure rules and cheated the public.

They couldn't have a race (they said), but they wanted to show a race (for contractual reasons perhaps), so they called 3 neutralised laps a race !

The irony is that the points awarded after that farce may have a decisive influence in who's going to win the championship this year. Let's hope not !

TonyL likes this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In the past F1 would have taken the position:: "It is the same for everyone:: let's race !"

Bas and william like this.
  14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If Ross feels that way about George's qualifying lap, then award points for qualifying. I think that's a bit of a disingenuous explanation by him. Most likely, George would not have held onto a top-5 position, so Ross is saying it was right to give him race points for his qualifying effort? It sounds like the decision was subjective when he puts it that way.

You may want to think that one through. That sentiment changes how points are currently awarded in F1. I'm not saying George didn't drive a great lap either.

Picchu88, Bas, fer312t and 1 other person like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I guess the new generation of officials at the FIA is a different breed.

mcimino likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Since when you get 9 points for qualifying second?

Since last Sunday !

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Jeronimo GTO, Isobel and 375+ like this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Anyone else find it amusing that the masters of the pinnacle of motor racing display so little planning and forethought into a strategy to allow for flexibility for a weather event that even small series do to ensure that a race could be delayed until a Monday or Tuesday. I think the FIA and the powers that be are showing the emperor may not have any clothes. F1 has been neutered for years, but the lack of contingency plan for a series that races in locations that usually have weather issues demonstrates a complete lack of professionalism.

Picchu88, Jeronimo GTO, Bas and 4 others like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly !!
    What a way to run a business !!
    Complete lack of leadership.

DF1 likes this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Just like everything else in NASCRAP.

22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Totally agree, It does actually show that these people are not as smart as they like to think they are but I dont think its that easy in all reality to run the race the next day, TV rights and money are the real motivators behind the decision to run a "token" race behind the safety car to appease the masses.

It kind of reminded me of those two bookies (Harry Guardino) in the film "Any which way you can" when they realise they have to pay up because Clint Eastwood won the big fight with William Smith, they decided to make a run for it & lept out the window clutching a suitcase full of money.

The real losers are the people who paid to watch it on pay per view TV and those that travelled to the track. Some tickets for Sunday were 555 euros each Give them there money back and grow some balls, you lost this one, i am sure it wont dent your profits that much.

Spa Grand Prix official statement

SPA GRAND PRIX : STATEMENT
    Spa Grand Prix SA expresses its deepest disappointment to the outcome of this weekend, which was supposed to be the one of reunion, the conclusion of a year of hard work during which we overcame all obstacles. It started well, the show was there, but the weather conditions were not in our control and the decision made by the race direction must be respected, as the safety of the drivers must remain the priority.

We share the disappointment of our customers, who have been exemplary in the way they have suffered this incredible day, but also in the way the evacuation has been carried out,. This underlines, once again, the quality and the perfect behavior of our public of enthusiasts.

We now look forward to tomorrow, to a bluer sky and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Priceless!

As for warning bells

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-20210720-1799.pdf

Best

Tony

DF1 and william like this.
  23. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I think postponing was no option because of the short time until the upcoming event in Zandvoort. Also, having been one of the people on site who have spent a lot of money and time to attend, and being hugely disappointed for me and especially my young son, I was very well aware when buying the tickets that weather in Spa is absolutely unpredictable and such things can happen. However, for the same reason, what what was REALLY annoying was the fact that the organizers obviously didn't have any fallback plan for that scenario. As I already posted in this forum from the track on Sunday, it was very obvious from around 3:30 pm onwards that the conditions would not change. under these circumstances I don't understand why they still tried all the time and even seemed to start discussing on how to handle the points given etc. at a time when there was no way for a normal race anymore anyway. This could all have been planned for a long time before - which would have spared F1 a lot of bad publicity, internal political discussions - and cold, wet feet for spectators...

24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Gives me the willies thinking about it. That guy escaped 3 almost certain ways to die. Look at the tiny space he had to get out of!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and Bas like this.
  25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Jet dryers are safe unless Montoya is on the circuit.