F8 - Recommended break-in period | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Recommended break-in period

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by stretchgeneral, Aug 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ya:cool:
    Bang bang:D

I'm not that politically active, so can't do too many revolutions per minute:p

italiafan likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Haha, got me on that one:p

While doing pet peeves. What do you guys think about "VIN number"? So Vehicle Identification Number Number? Ew!:D

Nospinzone and italiafan like this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, seriously funny,original copy, plastic glasses, old news, almost exactly, same difference, pretty ugly, awfully good, deafening silence.

Nospinzone likes this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I see nothing oxymoronic about “military intelligence.” There are a great number of extremely bright and dedicated men and women devoting their lives to protecting the interests of their nation.

In fact every one of above examples would be easy to pick apart if I could be bothered...

USMMA90 likes this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks for not bothering.

Lance F likes this.
  6. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    I've tried but leaped frogged the 5k a couple of times with aggressive downshifting.but only for a nano second.
    Salesman says -not to worry-no problem at all.

7. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    ouch!

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually I should clarify. I was speaking of dealer salespersons. Many are very nice people and some are friends, but I swear I've never met one who knew more about the car they were selling than I did.

Chizz, Drson and c8spidey like this.
  9. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    Anyone know what page(s) this info is in the manual?

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Drive it like you stole it I have done this with every new car I have owned. Which numbers in the mid 30’s and I have never had any issues.

11. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Warm the oil. Drive it like you stole it.

Chizz and OSUferrari like this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    whats important imo is do the first oil,filter change 500/800 miles to get any break in particles out and start fresh oil,filter and change again in 5000 miles or one year

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Well Ferrari doesnt have that early oil change and for the oil change Ferrari doesn't do an oil change every year for any car after Feb 2019.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO follow the manual but dont go on a freeway to get that mileage. You should be using the gears so the revs rise and fall. To do that you need to put some load on the car. This will help the rings bed better.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well I at least let it get warm before I give it the boot. Ferrari has already broken in the engine, so just go drive. I think it's hillarious that Ferrari has not changed the wording for their recommended break in period for over 40 years, and yet the engines are totally different. If Ferrari cares that little, so do I.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe, Chizz and Thecadster like this.
  16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I’m all for jumping on it early and often. It is a little concerning considering the warnings to take it easy. I asked one of the instructors at Corso Pilota last November and he too recommended not exceeding 5,000 rpm until 600 miles. I don’t think he was just giving me the corporate line but I also don’t think I have the self control to stay under 5k for that long. Maybe 200 miles? No idea! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

TR007 and Chizz like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think he was. Been to plenty Corso Pilota events where they ran cars straight off the line. Got one at one point that had 78 km on it. Sorry, but I think he was just parrotting what the owners manual says.

AD211 likes this.
  18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    on any new vehicle i purchase i do first oil,filter change with in 500/800 miles than i do regular schedule time just something ive done to all brand new cars ive purchased.on my f8 i had first oil,filter change in 600 miles on my dime

MANDALAY and Chizz like this.
  19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i will still have the oil,filter change every 12 months or 5k miles even if ferrari does not pay i will

MANDALAY and Chizz like this.
  20. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So the 7 year free maintenance program does not include annual oil changes?

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

This is IMO the biggest BS Ferrari has done.

The 7 year free maintenance was introduced Feb 2012.
    Exactly 7 years later Feb 2019 they announce ( well they actually didn't ) people found out post Feb 2020 when they went in for their first annual service that they were told that Ferrari has stopped the automatic annual change of the oil and filter !

The addition of an algorithm the computer now tells the service whether to change the oil or not. IMO its BS.

I know of a car that did 10,000 kms of track in 1 year and it still said no oil change required. These are Turbo cars . Oil MUST be changed regularly.

I bet you Ferrari didn't tell you this when signing for the new F8.

As you know I have a late 2018 488 GTB , my mate has a Pista April 2019 I get the annual oil/filter change he doesn't.

Its all about the $$$. Ferrari stand to save b/w 30 - 50 Million removing the annual oil/filter change.

Question did we actually buy a Ferrari because of the free annual service ? I dont think so but what they have done is underhanded.

Ild bet algorithm or not once the car is 7 years old Service will be TELLING you that an oil change is a MUST if you want the extended warrantee ;)

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you for the detailed explanation; I was unaware, and was not informed by my dealer of this change. It's very disappointing that FNA chose to enact such an "underhanded" policy.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    From my dealer:

“The annual services on the newer models work off of what Ferrari calls Preventive Maintenance. This allows for them to determine what services are due based on time and mileage driven. If you rarely drive the car, they may only request to replace an air filter and perform standard checks and updates. If you drive the car more often they will may require fluid services as well as the items specified earlier.

In my experience, they will service the fluids regardless every 2 years of service if the car is rarely driven.

However, we recommend to service the oil and brake fluid yearly to maintain clean service records that show above and beyond care for your Ferrari.”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe, Chizz and blkdiablo33 like this.
  24. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I plan on staying below 5k RPMS for the first 5 - 600 miles.

Chizz likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why? The engine has been broken jn and has been redlined during testing. Just go drive it.

OSUferrari likes this.