New 348 Owner - Need advice on a problem | FerrariChat

New 348 Owner - Need advice on a problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by larrymika, Sep 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika
    I just took delivery (shipped) of a 94 348 Spyder. I kept killing the engine unless I revved to about 4K rpm, and it really wanted to bog down. Going to second gear was a worse bog down and I was hearing "tinking" noises.

I then noticed the "Park" light was on even through the parking brake was all the way down. Pulling and releasing the parking break didn't feel like it was actually engaging or disengaging anything mechanical - it just kind of flopped around.

Is this just newbie stupidity, or does it sound like the parking break is "on" but disconnected from the handle? Does a 348 really need to rev that high to not kill the engine in first gear?

Thanks!
    Larry

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are your CHECK ENG lights working? They should appear on startup. Is there fresh fuel in the tank?
    How handy are you with tools? Anyway, check the basics.... Fuel and ignition.
    When were the belts last changed and by whom?

Your handbrake sounds like it has a few problems. It may pay to pull off the handbrake cover to see what's happening. There are a few message threads on the forum showing how to adjust the handbrake, but make sure there is enough meat on the brake shoes and the cable is still connected at both ends.

e.g. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/how-to-adjust-the-handbrake-on-the-f355.62780/

The switch which controls the light is close to the pivot point of the handbrake. Check to see if it is damaged or if something is shorting out the pins on the back of the switch.

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    This is a normal feature of the 348 handbrake - you pull it up to engage then it allows you to lower (without pressing the button) the handle so that it is easier to "climb" out. If you want to release the handbrake, pull the handle up and keep it pulled a bit harder against the upper point of resistance then press the button and lower the handle.

PS. I hope you haven't driven it much with the handbrake engaged.

A348W likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are driving around with the hand brake on.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  5. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    It is designed to go back down , so you can get out the door easier. To remove, well the way I do it, I pull up holding the button then put down, seems to work for me. If it flops around then it suggests it is still on.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Seems I overlooked the obvious newbie mistake. Many Ferraris, including the 348, have a "fly-off handbrake". I guess that would explain all your symptoms (if your handbrake was permanently engaged). The tinking noises was probably your brakes overheating.

7. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika
    I drove it for a few hundred feet only. Figured something was wrong so I stopped pretty quickly

8. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika

The last owner responded to me – does this sound kosher?

Good morning Larry, to remove the handbrake you must first go with the button pressed up and then lower it by making a slight force towards the seat and thus the handbrake is released, in all Ferrari 348 and F355 it is the same.

The brake lever seems to be loose when the brake is still on, it's easy but you have to know the trick

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What does this have to do with the handbrake question, and engine bogging down question?

10. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika
    I had the same question, but FWIW, the car has 18,500 miles and has never had a major service - which I plan on doing soon

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, good idea - are you sure "never"? In any case, do one now and then you can start with a fresh cycle of the major service.

12. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika
    I bought the car from BAT and it said no major. The last owner was kind enough to make me a video clip of how to disengage the parking brake so now it works fine. I'll schedule an inspection and an estimate on the major in a few weeks.

Thanks all for your comments! Appreciate it!

allandwf likes this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I was thinking of a engine timing issue after a belt change.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Usually the correct solution is the easiest. ;)