GTS Whats it Worth? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTS Whats it Worth?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by DrNik, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NA_V12

NA_V12 Rookie

Aug 1, 2021
    FL, USA
    Anybody in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area?

2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Fascinating seeing the differences regionally - GTS in UK was £30k under list very briefly end Q1 early Q2, is now very spec sensitive. A good one of broad appeal will fetch £15K under with an independent and maybe list at an authorised dealer. No chance a premium and can still get H2 2022 slots if connected, though running out faster. It for sure will hold money better than the coupe, I predict the bottom at say 75% of list versus 60%.

3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I'm in the UK and find this info very interesting. I recently bought a high spec 812 SF from a main dealer with 1.8k miles for about £100k under new invoice cost. Are your predicted future values based on trade prices or retail as there is a sizeable spread between the two.

4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Exactly opposite in the United States. I was just offered 200K over for mine.

RamsHmb likes this.
  5. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Who knows John, I think SF is a great buy at that money. As open top V12s are historically rare, likely to be slightly less supply I think they will be a touch more resilient.

Enjoy your car

6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Nice, lucky boy. If you look at Race trading statement supply is down in US probably due to FX.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Take it!

8. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Not worth taking the short term capital gains hit … especially when there are smiles for miles.

I have a 812c coming in so might have to make room in the garage but ignoring this for now. Similar to the Speciale I think the 812 GTS is a very special car and even if values dip over time they are going to come back high. The end of NAV12 aside, Covid, microchip shortages, and an already limited production run are going to be hard to account for in the long run.

RamsHmb and Thecadster like this.
  9. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Curious…have you participated in any of the racing programs w Ferrari? I missed out on the c with a relatively decent history but not in the challenge program. I did get an early GTS which I love.

10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Yes :)… tbh I’m not sure how I feel about the back of the 812c but wasn’t given the option of the 812ca…

RamsHmb likes this.
  11. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    That actually makes me feel better . It is interesting. When I first saw the photos I thought hey were air ducts and cool…when I realized they were fins that were stuck on…a little less cool. Don’t get me wrong, would take one in a second if offered. Congrats!

Avia11 likes this.
  12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    To the OP
    Local dealer sold for 799 against 530 spec. Subtract 6% for consigning fees. So 200+ at 6 months. Nice spec. White car CF race seats etc.

@Avia11 how/ why reporting gains? Don’t usually make money on my cars but curious.

ScottS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    my understanding is the law states you're supposed to report it on your tax return? am I wrong?

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Unsure of the mechanism but in Vegas they report. Real estate same idea. Not sure how the cost basis is tracked etc with cars. That said maybe others with experience ? If you keep a car and it becomes collectible,do people report those cars as well? Never thought about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA

I believe it’s only applicable if you sell it. So if you buy a GTS and sell it for 200K over you have to pay short term capital gains. If you keep it and sell it after a year you pay long term capital gains. That’s why I default to just keeping them. My dealer told me the cost basis was the cost of the car + add ons (PPF, ceramic, exhaust etc) + sales tax. I don’t know for sure though.

16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Crazy that the US charges capital gains tax on a car (for personal use)! I don't suppose you get a tax credit / offset for selling at a loss?!

ScottS likes this.
  17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Unfortunately it’s called depreciation not a capital loss

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No one reports that I've ever heard of. Perhaps if it was a business vs. an individual.

ScottS likes this.
  19. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
  20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I bought it as an individual, not as a business, so I don’t have to report it on my tax return?

21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Peculiar…for sure.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am not sure why you would report it unless you feel obligated for some reason. No one would know otherwise.

23. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Even if it's personal-use you'd still report it as a capital gain. https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

25. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA