Classiche Certificate of Authenticity & Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Classiche Certificate of Authenticity & Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Specter, Aug 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Specter

Specter Rookie

Aug 31, 2021
    No problem to move the car. Now she is in EU

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Very interesting car with special external and internal features originally owned by Gianni Agnelli's younger brother, Umberto.

Sold by RM Sotheby's at the Leggenda e Passione auction in September, 2017. Said to be matching engine and gearbox numbers in RM Sotheby's description here.

Classiche Certification was also applied for then.

Stand4x likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Second owner Phil Baumgarten was a dear friend although he sold this car before we became acquainted in the late 1970s. He may have had it at his Michigan home. He retired to Florida and became a partner (with Bob Cressman) in the Ferrari dealership which is now Ferrari Maserati Ft. Lauderdale. Phil had some very nice Ferraris and Maseratis in a fairly eclectic collection which included several antique fire engines.

4. Specter

Specter Rookie

Aug 31, 2021
    amerikalei, 456-boy and Stand4x like this.
  5. Specter

Specter Rookie

Aug 31, 2021
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    YES, very much so, but are you sure it really needs a full restoration at the moment or even in the near future ?
    Or is she mechanically well enough to drive "as is", at least for a couple of years (or more) ?
    Just curious.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well said. +1 restorations are the enemy of driving. After spending so much money, driving only makes things worse.

Dogdish, Lusso123 and Jakuzzi like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In the business world, we say, "Perfection is the enemy of progress." I can see how this might apply in the vintage car world.

Lusso123, Jakuzzi and TTR like this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    This ^^ reminds me of a phrase I was taught/told by a friend “in the vintage car world”, referring to efforts or extents I go to while working on them, “(trying to make things) better is the enemy of good enough”.

Or a story I heard long ago about a composer (E.W. Korngold, IIRC ?), back in the day, working in Hollywood, on some film score when some studio production exec. comes by and asks him how is it coming along, to which said composer replies something like “Well, I’m having difficulties making this one part perfect” and the exec. says something like “Listen, we don't want it perfect, we want it by Tuesday".

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Perfect! ;)

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The question is to Drive or to Display?

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    THIS!

Marcel Massini

roma1280 likes this.
  13. FRENCHRACER

FRENCHRACER Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2017
    Los Altos Hills
    Full Name:
    HENRI RICHARD
    This message is for Marcel Massini. I would want to commission a report on my car but do not understand if it is even still possible to do so and what is the process if it is. Thank you in advance for your help with this inquiry.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I received your PM, thanks.
    And will reply shortly.

Marcel Massini

15. Specter

Specter Rookie

Aug 31, 2021
    Very simple. I started buying Ferrari recently and this one is my first Ferrari. That’s that.

16. FRENCHRACER

FRENCHRACER Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2017
    Los Altos Hills
    Full Name:
    HENRI RICHARD
    Thank you so much Mr Massini. I am honored that you would answer ! For quick reference my chassis is #13181

17. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Some time in the 1990's I sold this car to an American living in HK who also bought what is now John Vardanian's 250PF coupe. The cabrio ended up in UK at our MHT Ferrari Dealership in Gloucestershire. Lots of unpaid bills and an unpleasant parting of the ways. Nice to see that it survives today looking pretty much as it did then. I have some print photos filed away which I will scan and post.

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You mean April 1997 when you had it for sale.
    It went to Mr. C. in HK.

Marcel Massini

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hello Mr Specter........

Marcel Massini

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  20. Specter

Specter Rookie

Aug 31, 2021
    Thank you very much. Much appreciated

21. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore
    The tendency has been for the committee to approve original color combinations. If a non-original color is used, an applicant is still in pretty good shape and should be approved so long as the color(s) was available in period.

That said - I have experienced some cases where the color used was technically available in period but seldom if ever used on the example in question. That met with extreme push-back and certification took nearly two years.

The chemical make up of the coating products used has had no role to play. It's on us as restorers to educate our clients towards making decisions which yield and authentic product (single stage versus base/ clear).

Lusso123, enio45, readplays and 7 others like this.
  22. Specter

Specter Rookie

Aug 31, 2021
    Hello to all. I wanted to share my recent experience with you: I contacted the Ferrari classiche department and had a fantastic conversation with the sales manager who explained to me that they are improving the certification process a lot compared to what was done in the past, improving communication and reducing costs and times. Even with regard to the restoration of the cars, today things work in a very different way from what happened in the past, reducing times and above all costs, that are aligned with the best body shops and offering a better, transparent and engaging service for the owner of the car. I am sure that if I have any needs regarding my classic cars, this and the next ones that I will buy, I will call Ferrari Classiche first and their sales manager.

readplays likes this.
  23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Prancing Horse #112, Third Quarter, 1994 says, in addition to owning 1381GT and 1779GT, W.C. also owned 1777GT which was turned into a Nembo Spyder.

john

24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have had 2 Classiche Certs done in the past 2 years (58 Ellena and 67 GTC) and both have resulted in positive results, good timeframes etc.

I don't have comparison on prices, but they do publish a price list for various models as to the Cert Process cost.

Most importantly for me was the use of John Amette, who came out from Newport Beach Ferrari and did all the legwork and pics
    required to submit the package to Italy. Johns longtime experience in certifications in my opinion is key to the process. He knows what to look for,
    what is required and what pics/quality of pic is critical.

Jack-the-lad and SAFE4NOW like this.