FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - Zandvoort../QUALIFYING....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - Zandvoort../QUALIFYING....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀...

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, sort of ... On the day, Sergio was helped by Max' misfortune and one of Hamilton's rare mistakes.

A win is a win, I know, but Perez win at Baku was a very lucky one, not reflecting reality.

But I was glad for Perez all the same. We need circumstances like these to spice the season, I guess.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Maybe Perez's used PU has been detuned to "save it" that Perez's RB16b underperformed???? So RedBull changed it to a new one.....regardless of the penalty since Perez is starting from the back anyways.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Let's talk about lucky results--Emilia Romagna, Silverstone and Hungary where Bottas effectively took out both Red Bulls. All "lucky" results for Lewis. Do they reflect reality or something else?

Ah yes, Lewis's magic act.:eek:

classic308, Picchu88, Bas and 2 others like this.
  4. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    ESPN screwed the pooch today
    No qualifying coverage
    I suppose talking heads blabbering about college football is more important

5. Kilster

Kilster Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Over the years Red Bull cars have been tweaked to suit Max’s unique driving style and preference, which many F1 drivers find disconcerting. Max likes a slight oversteer entering into a turn. Gasly and Albon prefer a more traditional suspension tuning. Even Perez, who is a very experienced driver, is having a tough time adapting his driving to the rear-end nervousness. It will be interesting what the true gap is if the cars are tuned to a more normal driving style.

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I watched on one of the ESPN channels . It was listed on one and not shown, on another ESPN it was labeled as sports center but it was F1. Weird

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Like I said, a win is a win. That's what get written in the record book year after everyone has forgotten the circumstances.
    Hamilton had lucky results for sure over the years, I am not denying that, but they are a very small part of his overall success.
    He certainly didn't have 99 lucky wins.

ktu likes this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's interesting...
    I am surprised that at Red Bull, Verstappen's team mates are not allowed to chose their own settings, and have to copy his, according to what you say.
    I find it astonishing, since that's what you learn in racing schools, in junior categories, etc... "to taylor your car to your driving tastes" as my instructor used to say
    There are many different ways a driver can adjust a car to your preferences, like damping rate, corner weight, tyre pressure, toeing, castor angle, brake balance, etc... Of course you cannot alter the basic characteristic of a car, but you can make it more compliant to your skills, less nervous, more docile, and so on.
    In fact, most racing cars give a choice of adjustments, and it's part of the skill of a racer to know how to tune his car, with the help of his engineer.
    That's usually done in practice. Most experienced drivers are very meticulous about setting, and wouldn't be imposed , for love or money, the settings of another driver !! Some are absolutely useless about settings, and have copy someone else's.
    For example Prost was fastidious about settings, and jealous enough that Senna had to be kept away from his car not to see them !
    But in the opposite Ronnie Peterson didn't have a clue: he trusted Chapman or his mechanics and used his driving skills to overcome .that deficiency.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    jpalmito and Bas like this.
  11. Kilster

Kilster Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    I understand where you are coming from and I thought the same when Gasly struggled and even asked Red Bull to modify the car to suit his driving style.

Now that I have seen two more drivers struggle, my conjecture is that there is a basic set of driving characteristics for each team’s cars. You can adjust these parameters somewhat, but these adjustments won’t change the fundamental characteristics of the car’s handling.

On the contrary, Mercedes cars’ driving characteristics may be more in the mainstream. While Russell is very talented, he felt comfortable driving the car immediately.

12. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Dream on.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's more and more apparent that Red Bull only serves well one driver and is pretty ruthless at sacrifying the other.
    I suppose it goes deeper than car settings, but also with strategies, data sharing, etc ...

Of course the same probably happens in several teams, including Mercedes, but it's not so obvious perhaps because they don't sack their scapegoat in the middle of the season !

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If we take the deficit both AT/STR drivers had when they moved to RBR and they barely improved their times (certainly for Gasly who is just plain faster in his AT), there could be some truth in that. Unfortunately impossible to prove unless they can get Max to test in that car...and that's not allowed by the regulations.

The car is what it is. To modify the chassis to suit the slower driver doesn't make any sense, nor spend significant money/time into making the car deliberately slower.

That doesn't make any sense, nor excuses the rest of the season. This is about the worst place after Monaco to take an engine penalty...

I still think that the Red Bulls since switching to honda power (not engine related but this is when they made an entire new car again) have had an inherent aerodynamic flaw that makes it very tricky to drive at the limit. It seems incredibly peaky at the top, which has resulted in plenty of spins. This doesn't give the drivers a lot of confidence. Max seems to have the ability to ignore that and can drive the car at the limit, whereas his teammates struggle to get to that limit for a qualifying lap, let alone a race distance.

Much like the 1995 Benetton that Schumacher drove, which, whilst brilliant quick, had an aerodynamic stall that meant it was on the verge of spinning all the time. None of Schumachers teammates seemed to be able to handle that car. When Berger and Alesi moved to Benetton at the end of that season from Ferrari, neither of them could drive the car. I think Alesi even refused to drive the car after a mornings' testing session, claiming the car undrivable.

Does Red Bull know where the flaw is? I presume so. But I also believe that fixing that flaw makes the car slower overall, otherwise they'd have fixed it already. It could well have to do with the high rake mind you, as Red Bull claims to abandon that concept for 2022.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think all drivers that have driven alongside Max have said he's very open in regards to data sharing. It doesn't make any sense for Red Bull to screw the 2nd driver as it just makes winning races much harder. So that's simply not it.

16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah..F1 on ESPN is like the paper cups and ping pong ball game. It gets shuffled around, hidden, and some luck to find it.

What concerns me now are the two black cars near Max as they head into turn 1, and which car makes it to turn 2 and 3.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At Red Bull, they certainly don't give any coming driver enough time to settle down, and they are quick to send them away!

Other teams don't do that. McLaren, for example waited the end of each season to dispense with Perez, and then Kevin Magnussen's services.

It looks like Horner expects every other driver to step in his car, follow Max and not be more than 1/10th from his lap time. Completely unrealistic.

They have even demonstrated that they show no loyalty and can be ruthless with their Number One if he hits a bad patch.

Vettel was the blue eyes boy, until Ricciardo brought better results, then he was made to feel surplus to requirement, even after they shared 8 titles! .

The honeymoon with Ricciardo didn't last long; as soon as Verstappen came along and showed some promises, it was curtain for the Ausie!

The humilation endured by Kvyat, Gasly in the middle of a season, and later Albon, is not something you see very often.

I don't remember Enzo Ferrari, who was a hard man with his drivers , to proceed in such manner.

I think Max and Red Bull will hit the jackpot this year, and that will be well deserved too, but at what price !

18. Kilster

Kilster Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    I totally agree with you. Fixing the flaw will likely make the car slower. That’s probably why Marko bristled at Gasly’s request and never wanted him back in the Red Bull. I thought that Perez, given his experience, would be able to close the gap to Max by now (maybe 0.2-0.3 sec). We will see what happens in 2022 with the new design.

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do think there'll be a good chance for Gasly to be back in the Red Bull car in 2023 if Perez remains to be slow. Gasly is clearly very talented. It actually looks like he's gone backwards since France.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Sweet dreams to you Angela. Kiss Roscoe for me.

jpalmito, absostone and Bas like this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Gasly is the only one that was cast aside very early. Red Bull felt that Gasly wasn't coping the the pressure, but pretty quickly found out that Albon wasn't much better. Albon was ultimately kept on for 1.5 seasons. Perez has received his extension. Was Gasly let go to early? In hindsight, yes. But it's a choice they could afford to make and had to make it, rather than wait till the end of the season. No in-season testing, the fact they have a second team = the luxury to make such swaps when they think it's needed. After 3 teammates Red Bull now sees their problem isn't the 2nd driver, it's the talent of the 1st driver. They need to make a better car.

Vettel has never made a secret with his love for Ferrari. The deal for him to switch was made quite early in 2014. He wasn't cast aside.

Ricciardo was never cast aside by Red Bull either. In fact, Ric left on his own accord.

Kvyat didn't improve and was at red bull for over a season. He didn't improve, Max showed mega promise, and the switch was made. Anyone saying they where wrong to do so?

But sure. It's much easier to paint Red Bull as the villain. It's quite funny to see the people that are always hounding Ferrari for not swapping their drivers quick enough, are the same ****ting on red bull for doing just that, lol.

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The F1 channel for Roku is well worth the annual subscription.

23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    DirecTV...?
    Things are fine on DISH. I believe I DO have 'record F1' on many, if not all, of their channels.

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It was on ESPN2

Jeffinva likes this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Directv carried it, of course. But you can’t assume it’ll be in ESPN. It may be on one of the sister channels.

I check www.tvracer.com to make sure.