Labor estimate to R&R all 7 hydraulic top cylinders on Spider? | FerrariChat

Labor estimate to R&R all 7 hydraulic top cylinders on Spider?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CSX55, Sep 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CSX55

CSX55 Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    Hello fellow Spider owners, question for anyone who has had the pleasure of having to go through a full replacement of their hydraulic top cylinders on either their 360 or 430. Right now, I have actively leaking secondary cylinders and have noticed one of my guard cylinders is leaking; the previous owner had replaced the locking cylinder just before I took ownership, so I think at this point full replacement of all of them is probably warranted.

I've seen recommendations for two cylinder suppliers - Top Hydraulics and Cabriolet Hydraulics.

Top Hydraulics - Inventories spare cylinders and can offer a full replacement set (with core charge) to prevent downtime between mailing off the originals and waiting for the rebuilds, but ships cylinders complete with lines (except for secondary cylinders)

Cabriolet Hydraulics - I don't see an option for up-front core replacement but they do offer a splice kit to prevent the hassle of having to R&R the lines (which is what makes this job most difficult, so far as I can tell)

So my questions for the group are,

1) What kind of labor estimates have you received (or been through) to have a tech replace all of the cylinders? I'll provide the replacement units one way or another through one of the above suppliers, but with the exception of the two secondary cylinders (which simply bolt in/out), the remaining 5 would require line replacement (if using Top Hydraulics). So far, I've gotten one quote of 30 hours at about $4000 in labor + shop fees; was wondering if this was in the ballpark based on others' experiences.

2) For anyone who has utilized Cabriolet Hyrdaulics, what was your experience with the splice kits? Introducing a new potential leak area has me nervous, but it sounds like I would be able to R&R all of the cylinders myself if I didn't have to replace the lines, which has at least $4000 in value to me based on the quote I've already received.

Thank you all!

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    @CSX55 seems to be looking for removal and installation labour costs, not component overhaul costs. As far as I can see, these companies only provide component overhaul.

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I missed that

sorry

certainly is not a low cost expense

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The two secondary rams can be replaced in about 15 minutes each. Total DIY. Unless you absolutely need the three large rams replaced, skip it. The entire capote module needs to be pulled to do that. I think 15 hours is typical just to R&R.

I used Top Hydraulic to rebuild the secondary cylinders. FedEx'ed them out on a Friday, had them back exactly one week later. I think it was $540 including FedEx return.

Need4Spd likes this.
  6. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    #6 Bob in Makiki, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    I just picked up my 360 from the local Ferrari dealership, where I had all seven cylinders rebuilt. I would say the labor cost quoted you is quite reasonable, and is in line (a bit less) than what I paid. As John mentions above, pulling the entire capote module to remove and repair the lower cylinders is quite a job. The dealership has a special jig that they can use to mount the assembly off the car and to then operate it. From my mechanic's observations, I think that jig is likely essential. So, for example, he identified a cylinder that needed to be sent back for further work after running the mechanism on the jig. The dealership also used Top Hydraulic, and they seem to be a solid rebuild shop.

I think John raises a very valid point as to whether you really need to rebuild the lower cylinders if they are not actively leaking. I would suggest discussing this with your mechanic and with Klas Witte of Top Hydraulics. I decided to rebuild all seven cylinders, on Mr. Witte's recommendation to my mechanic, but I'm not at all sure that is the right decision for everyone.

I will post some photos of the jig and my car with the capote module removed.

7. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Here are photos of the jig, the jig control module, and the car with the capote module removed. Note my mechanic's careful marking of alignment points (the blue tape) on the module and on the body. Getting the damn thing back in where you took it from seems like a big part of the replacement effort!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis and Scott98 like this.
  8. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
  9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    clever and good shop to have that jig to test the top prior to re-installation

I am sure that bill is not going to be pleasant

nice going

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    wow, that is a JOB for sure, and correct, having the jig to test before install is a must....