Italy Seeks to Shield Supercar Makers From Combustion Engine Ban | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Italy Seeks to Shield Supercar Makers From Combustion Engine Ban

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JTSE30, Sep 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    With Ferrari and Lambo forever increasing production numbers, they won't be exempt for long. Companies like Pagani..maybe over the long term could get away with it..

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    They have been working on graphene batteries for decades.

Talking about the advancement of batteries in this short amount of time is silly and out of context. Everyone acts like electric cars have been around for 10 years and look how far we've come in 10 years...

I built electric race cars 20 plus years ago and I learned all about this stuff and there were people doing it long long long before me...

I mean the first cars that were ev were 100 plus years ago...

The bigger argument isn't over evs. It's the battery tech... And literally we have been using batteries and trying to improve the battery forever.

I'd urge you to not get caught up in the latest articles about battery tech. They are literally the same articles from 20 years ago.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You do you.. and I'll look after me. 20 years ago is not today. Yesterday is not today. I'll leave it at that.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Cool story.

anunakki and Shark01 like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You make sense, but none of this makes sense. The EPA banned two-stoke motorcycles a while back. Seriously, how much pollution can a 250cc engine create?

DBomb117 likes this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

I love the lobbying that has turned nuclear power into a negative thing due to the waste but go ahead and get yourself a bunch of batteries that's the wave of the future and totally green all those batteries LOL

DBomb117 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have what i think is a decent comparison.

Im a professional sculptor. My first 16 years as a professional sculptor were using clay and wax. There was no digital sculpting software.

Then the digital software appeared, and I started playing with it. Its now been 18 years using digital sculpting software. More than the years i used traditional clay and wax.

While the digital sculpting software makes life easier in that there is an 'undo' button, 'clone' button, etc...it lacks soul. Its mechanical in feel, not organic. I never think 'man cant wait to get up tomorrow and get my fingers back onto the stylus.' Nothing about the software can compare with that perfect thumb stroke that dials a traditional clay or wax sculpture in perfectly.

This is the same feeling i get when i drive my buddys Tesla or BMW i8. Its a fun novelty, but its not enjoyable in the same way driving an ICE vehicle is. And a modern ICE vehicle isnt enjoyable in the same way a 70s or 80s vehicle is.

So, I use digital sculpting for 99% of what I do professionally. But when i want to sculpt something for my personal enjoyment? Its ALWAYS clay or wax. This means I can see myself having an EV as daily driver, but Id always, ALWAYS, have the ICE for pleasure.

Us professional sculptors have had this discussion now for decades with most people staking a hard stance on one side or the other. Knowing many of them personally, I have found a pattern. Those who love the digital are more practical, more methodical, its the destination not the trip. While the clay folk are more abstract, less methodical, and for them, its the trip, not the destination.

Im not sure one is better than the other, but they sure are different perspectives.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Agreed. I think you captured the essence of this perfectly.

In another way that relatable to some...

The apple watch is so much better than any other watch...

Yet...

The Rolex market and luxury watch market is completely bonkers and off the charts. It's never ever been stronger despite absolute obsolescence.

Because that's not what it's about.

DBomb117 and anunakki like this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    GMG up 22% today. Hit 3 bucks a share..

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    And for all the different organizational software on the market, I still prefer my pad and pen...

Nembo1777, bw929 and technom3 like this.
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's never going to happen. Just don't make the mistake of hanging on every article or announcement of battery break throughs. It will happen but to date there have been more announcements of break throughs than actual break throughs.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I was driving my Ferrari through a right-on part of London last year and a guy on a bike shouted “polluter”.

He was with his two small kids on other bikes so I said nothing, but I thought, hm, I drive this car 1000 miles a year if I’m lucky, I walk to work. Have you taken your kids on a beach holiday this year, used non-renewable electricity to power your home, bought anything that requires ships and trucks to manufacture it’s components or deliver it? Any clothes, or household accessories made on the other side of the world? How did the marble for your new bathrooms get here?

maybe you’re the polluter and me in my Ferrari, I’m the green guy.

13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #38 JTSE30, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Or, maybe we are all polluters, there's no doubt we all are.

From every exhale (CO2), to skin/hair that is always 'on the move', to bio-remains we all create....

I think that individual could just as easily be talking about their own existence...

'takes one to know one' might be an appropriate response, even in the presence of children

others that come to mind:

"yes, we all are"

"thank you, and same to you"

"it's part of living, we all do it"

"I forgive you"

"I'm weak, thank you for your strength and leadership"

and....

"nobody's perfect"

grogger and anunakki like this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Biggest mistake ever. Its not the EU. Its the German state.

JonnySK likes this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The exact same debate has been raging in the auto industry for the last 20+ yrs.
    Digital vs. analog

anunakki likes this.
  17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Super batteries that never die, leak or explode- have been promised for decades- just like cold fusion and clean energy.
    They do not exist and unlikely to in the near future. This does not mean we should stop striving for those goals but Progress will likely be slow unless Vulcans land on earth and show us the path with dilithium crystals

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    You don't have dilithium crystals??

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  20. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
  21. Arnold55

Arnold55 Rookie

May 5, 2020
    Especially since CO2 in reality has little or no effect on the planet's temperature!

bw929 and JTSE30 like this.
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    all we need is one......zuckerberg, bezos, gates etc that loves supercars and the bans will magically disappear. those with the real money and power will make a difference. or should i say get their wives on board as we all know who makes a lot of the decisions for these wussified politicians.
    AND how many exotics can live if just one 1950’s era cars in cuba died?

23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Not at -20F.

JTSE30 likes this.
  24. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    #49 therryzsx, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    zuckerberg, bezos, gates live in USA and 2035 ban is in some countries of Europe, after 2035 Ferrari still can sell petrol cars in America and Asia. this ban is on registration new cars not on production but maybe Ferrari will need to make road tests outside Italy,

JTSE30 likes this.
  25. Rossospider

Rossospider Rookie

Sep 3, 2021
    Northwest Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Richard Reagan
    #8 wire, 40 amp circuit, 50amp breaker in every suburban garage for at least one level2 charger seams to be a much more critical issue than the battery tech advancements required to really replace a majority of ICE vehicles. That is a huge number when you start to look at power demand required, especially when everyone wants to come home at 5:00pm and plug in. That’s not going to be reality. Guess we can burn more coal to produce that amperage.

Edward 96GTS likes this.