458 - 458 vs 458 speciale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 458 vs 458 speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by darkbard, Sep 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Consider S line, higher pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mattytoe23

mattytoe23 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I was stunned to hear about an 82.5k mi Speciale for sale, so had to look it up for myself.

One part of the listing says “8,250” and other “82,500”.

I think I have seen this car for sale before and believe it to be the 8,250 mileage number.

does anyone know of any speciale’s with 50k + miles?

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Need both…..V8 and V12
    Traded old Speciale for TDF, missed agile V8 platform, so added Speciale again.

Need4Spd likes this.
  4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I would not trade my 458 towards an 812. The 812 is a remarkable car that perfectly compliments a 458 in a two car collection, but it’s not a replacement.

430jm, wthensler, Need4Spd and 2 others like this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I don’t know if any Speciales with 50k+, but there are many Italias with 50k and even 100k.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  6. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    As a newbie here, I am wondering if it even make sense to drive a Speciale so much? If I had the space and the will, I'd buy both. a 458 and a Speciale, drive the 458 a lot and keep the Speciale for collection and some track work. I'd feel that you don't want to overuse a car like that, it will stand as an all time classic eventually, IMHO.

7. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    I have an hard time finding one 458 that I like. There is one Bianco Fuji in USA that looks interesting, but importing it to DK will make no sense.

Too bad I don't like the 296 or F8, as the best for me would be to buy a new one and make it my own. The only NA option is 812, but as I said above, it is not my kind of car. I prefer mid engines. I guess there is zero option that Ferrari will make another NA car, right? :)

8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    You lost all credibility with that statement.

ekosan likes this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes. That’s what was recommended. Personally I wouldn’t decat. Much louder and you’ll get fuel smell in the cockpit.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. But the block and heads of the 458 and Speciale are basically the same. The differences structurally are:

• Compression is raised to 14:1
    • New, lighter pistons
    • Revised combustion chamber
    • Shorter runners in the intake manifold
    • New intake ports
    • New camshafts

Those are not big differences, but that does result in 35 additional horsepower.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

AGrigio and Bas like this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    We have one member here, @italiafan, who has one which he drives all the time. See if his will be a ‘collectible’ in a few years - and whether he’s had any regrets about the mileage he’s put on it.

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Nope! None. :) @darkbard Take it from a guy who has spent many years watching people’s lives take a terrible zag when they were planning on a zig, that life is undeniably short. And even Steve Jobs with all his brains and billions couldn’t buy more time.
    My advice is to buy a car you love driving, looking at, sitting in, and thinking about and not worry about what others think, or depreciation. If depreciation will keep you awake then lower your target price for the car you seek, and go low enough so the depreciation specter won’t haunt you. (Same as investing: if your are laying awake at night worrying about your investments then throttle back the risk in your portfolio.) Whether that is a 458 or a Speciale is up to you. Yes, the Speciale is a bit more special, a bit more finely tuned and honed. If I had to put a number on it I’d say it is 15-20% a “better” car than the 458–whatever that really means. The 458 is awesome in its own right.
    My only concern with piling on miles is the wear and tear on the vehicle itself. I want it to stay nice and not be worn and rattling over every bump.

Tarek307, Altoria F and JTSE30 like this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Haha….here’s proof positive he does care what certain people think about his car. Pic taken recently from a random stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We met a couple and their two kids. The boy is obviously smitten…..and check out his little sister eyeing up the car, lol ….
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Petrolhead#32, JTSE30 and italiafan like this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    They’re going to study extra hard and work extra hard to some day get their Ferrari’s! :) Parents were super nice too.

wthensler likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Actually, IIRC he said he liked your interior better because of the leather! :)

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hahaha…..about the only thing I can boast about, lol.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rexcat458 and italiafan like this.
  17. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I'd go for the 458 Spider. Here's why:

1) It was also my first Ferrari, and I think this model is arguably the best 'ambassador' to the Ferrari brand, ever?
    2) Due to the hard top, it's 3 cars into 1: a) Comfortable coupe 'GT-like' to cruise and have a phone conversation on the highway, b) racy track toy with an engine note unlike any other on the planet (which I wouldn't touch! It's perfect the way it is), c) pleasant convertible ride when the weather permits
    3) Best mix of price, reliability, elegant looks and comfort in the entire market. Hands down.
    4) Given all three above, I think it's great choice for Denmark (I love Copenhagen! ;)

I love the Speciale, but given the price, to me it is only the better option if a) money is not a word in your vocabulary, or b) if you plan to track it often. Otherwise, to me the 458 S does it all. BTW, love that you tried all those models and eventually decided for the 458! Way to go!

BTW, about to hit the 1st year anniversary Oct 16th, everyone! I'll have added 10k amazing miles to my 458S by then. Daily driver, 3 track days and a ton of hard mountain canyons drives. Not a single issue (except for some squeaky noise that I can live with and wheel vibration corrected with new tires and alignment work), one oil change for $450. I love it more every week.

Attached Files:

Gn_, Tarek307, Rexcat458 and 2 others like this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What a beautiful car. It is so pure. The 488 and F8 look more aggressive with the rear wheel vents, but the 458 is in in perfect symmetry and the most pleasing to the eye.

19. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    #44 Petrolhead#32, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Thanks a lot. It also helps that these were taken by pro photographers :)

Here's a few more...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rexcat458 and italiafan like this.
  20. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Yeah, the spider is a great option, I agree. I am struggling finding a good one, though, as the ones on the market right now have either a lot of miles or are quite poor on the options side.

One little downside of the spider is the line, as I prefer slightly the coupe one, especially when the top is closed. But it is minor, it is still a stunning car.

Denmark may not be the best place every for a spider, but when the summer comes it is great to drive without roof!

italiafan likes this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If you want a track focused weapon, then the 458 Speciale is probably a great choice. If you want an amazing super car, which you can take your wife to dinner in and otherwise is an absolute thrill ride and sounds amazing, then it's nearly impossible to beat the 458 Italia.

I had a 488 GTB also.. calling it numb is polite. I have more engagement driving my Toyota pickup.

Ray

22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Your point of reference is what you read on paper. My point of reference is how it feels behind the wheel.

I own both. The Speciale engine has an entirely different personality/dynamic than Italia.

JTSE30 and plastique999 like this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LOL! But I know what you mean. Same feeling Pista and 765LT for me. Sure, more aggressive of course, but pales compared to the visceral nature of the NA cars.
    I say that but am secretly hoping the AM Valhalla and 918 replacement will have exceptional sound still and will be saddened if they dont.
    SVJ Roadster on the short list.

plastique999 likes this.
  24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Side note, I’m not sure you will enjoy the SVJ…

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Oh I do, have been in the ‘63 and raced along side my Perf Spyder.
    AV is far from perfect, but the drama is unmatched, outside of Pagani and K.