Would you pay 250.00 for a flashlight? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Would you pay 250.00 for a flashlight?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ICULUKN, May 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I guess I'm very lucky that my 430 came with a flashlight. For grins I just looked on eBay and there are 3 OEM ones listed right now.

The bad news is... They are asking $899, $599 and $399 + overpriced shipping charges on all of them.

Just insane cRaZy prices.

one4torque likes this.
  2. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Bob in Makiki likes this.
  3. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    You are right. I got one working. It took a week of patience. There is a new listing on eBay from France for about $275. That’s a far price.

4. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Don’t you know the head of the Maglite should be pointing the other direction?

E60 M5 and killer58 like this.
  5. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I meant t add

6. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I meant to add a happy face. The icon won’t come for me!

patina likes this.
  7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Short answer: no.

My '03 came with the flashlight. Of course, NG and realized I could not open it up without destroying it as you guys have pointed out the batteries will weld the end cap to the body. Now I can afford the money to buy one but I just had to say to myself, I bet I could make a pretty good recreation.

The end with the lens and the text imprinted on it was still good and I was able to get that off of the OEM flashlight. I went to Ace Hardware and got a silver Mag-light for $12.95. The only problem was the new ones have the knurling on them. The OEM doesn't. So I put it in my lathe and removed the knurling to make it smooth and finished it by hand. I bought the Ferrari logo on e-bay as a vinyl stick on but I couldn't get the right size and I wanted to have the "Ferrari" painted on as was the OEM one. So I went to the local sign shop and had them reduce and create a vinyl logo stencil. I used it on the body of the flash light and with an airbrush applied black automotive basecoat to do the Logo.

Now this sounds like it took a good amount of effort, but it really didn't. I probably have less than $30 in it and an hour and a half of my time. Sometimes for me it's the challenge not the amount of money. And it feels good to have the results I got-- and it actually is a working flashlight to boot!

[​IMG]

Dec 24, 2017 Report
    #26 + Quote Reply

Bob in Makiki, Penzinger and AandSC like this.
  8. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Outstanding job!
    Another way: I used graduated drill bits with the Ferrari Maglite in a vice with vice rubber to protect the Ferrari Maglite ( you can use a fair of amount of vice pressure on the Maglite because the batteries are still in the cylinder) until the final drill bit dug into the casing of the batteries. The batteries came out jammed on the drill bit. For me both drill battery casings came out clean jammed on the final drill bit. Any broken parts I cannibalized from a new mini Maglite. I didn't use any lubricants. I cleaned the inside cylinder with vinegar and baking soda.

9. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Here’s the video I mentioned yesterday. If you are lucky enough to get the top battery out with the technique mentioned in the video you will be good to go (I wasn’t - it’s like that battery is FUSED to the sides). Not sure how I’m proceeding - working slowly to not damage anything. Any, this will probably help a few of you -

10. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    My experiences with the leaking batteries in the Maglites are mixed. It depends how bad the flashlight aluminum is.

If the caps can be taken off without issues then it's easy. I give them a backing soda and vinegar bath. Then drill out the batteries and also use a metal rod, ie screwdriver, to pound out the remainder out. Then I use sandpaper to get the corrosion out.

If the caps don't come off then it's difficult on getting good results. This is because of the corrosion and 'welding' of the threads. The fine threads can be corroded and the caps will have a lit of play afterwards. I had some Maglites that will simply not unscrew.

In any case, be careful of the aluminum pieces because they are soft. Soon much torque in a vice will marry the pieces.

Good luck.

Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Mine is done! Thanks to @clex2 and the YouTube video I posted. Neither worked individually for me (I tried a drilled wood screw into the bottom of the battery to ‘pull’ ) & NOTHING worked even to just ‘push’ it through as it instructs in the video (though that hollowed out the battery a little). After that it took a LOT of patience. I essentially had to ‘pry’ the sides of the battery away from the shaft/cylinder by wedging then hammering a small flat head between the battery & shaft) see below for pics of what the mangled battery results look like). Finally, a battery would NOT fit back in so I used a small cylinder grinding stone in a drill (pic below) to smooth it out. Finally, the plastic bits did not survive so I cannibalized another mag lite for the internals. Works like a champ! Flashlight has a few small nicks & but I’m satisfied overall, especially considering the cost of an alternative, it now works, and I paid roughly ($30 in materials, including new mag lite for parts). Thanks again all! -Dom

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AandSC likes this.