Ferrari F12, GT4 Lusso, FF, 599, Ultimate DIY Guige | FerrariChat

Ferrari F12, GT4 Lusso, FF, 599, Ultimate DIY Guige

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by nguyennhatquang, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Hello, As The owner of a Prancing Horse, I want to creat a thread and Sharing all the information for Ferrari Owner who excess the manufacturer Warranty, Someone want to DIY themself, the way to fix and Maintain our car. Something simple like DIY oil change, Tire, or anything.
    I hope it will be a great guide for everypeople who want to working on our car...

1st : Where to get parts ?
    the simple answer and the cheapest I can Find online is : eurospares, Scuderia.. I myself bought manything from Eurospare ( I'm not the reseller) so I'm not advertising for them, but that is the cheapest I found online, they base on UK, and they has some issue like very slow to get part.. and doesn't accept paypal.

2nd : What is the Ferrari Diagnostic software
    There're 2 kind of Diagnostic software : original and Copy from china..
    I myself had bad luck with the Launch X431 from china.. when It can use to read data and clear trouble code but when i'm using it to reset the Wrench Light from my cluster it suddenly blank out everything... like that-----

The original As I heard is come from Ferrari or Acrini, As I found some of the information, the Acrini can use for Programing, Coding of the car, it actually made for Ferrari..
    There're a Ferrari software for independent shop which call Ferrari DEIS Light, which will work with all kind of J2534 hardware, I just don't know how to get it yet.

Tobe Continue

2. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    How to do an oil change on F12
    Our V12 F140FC need 12.5 Liter of 10W60 oil and oil filter.. due to drysump system.. it has few drain plug.. I took a video from my car which did by my friend to demos trade that

Flea7, Solid State and ANOpax like this.
  3. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Great video! I wasn't sure how bad it was but it doesn't look too bad to change the oil on an F12. Probably just as easy on the 812 I'm guessing.

Flea7 and nguyennhatquang like this.
  4. Yellow355

Yellow355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Subscribed as I came to the forum today looking for reasons why my battery tender doesn't see the battery at all, any DIY threads would be invaluable to other Ferrari owners even if they don't do the work themselves as at least it'll give educate all of us on what's involved and not get taken by the stealerships and indys.

5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The steps are identical on the 812. Only differences in procedure are the oil weights, and the filling process is just slightly different.

6. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    excellent! thank you.

usually I wouldn't attempt to get all the DIY's into one thread. that would be disorganized quickly. why not just start a new one with DIY-F12 oil change? this is fantastic

7. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    I did start it with 1 thread and after that people forget about it.. I just want to make 1 thread so people can go in and find all the information they need for them car.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Make one thread with links to other threads

Label the first one all links for DYI projects for 812
    And then the sub threads are the individual items

9. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    How to change the solenoid cover gasket..
    As I saw it is the common leak on the F140 engine.. not the valve cover gasket.. please check it first
    it is easy to replace.. and very cheap

10. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Thanks for the videos

11. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Thank you for your efforts !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Great Idea!

13. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Has anyone had good success using standard off the shelf OBD-2 readers to diagnose and reset faults/service lights etc...?
    I'm curious to know what the limitations are in reading and managing the ECU without needing to take it to a dealer.

A buddy of mine loaned me one a while back for my 550 which worked well, read both banks independently without any Ferrari specific software needed.
    I forgot the brand/model but I'm going to borrow it again and see how it works on the FF.

14. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    rhern213 likes this.
  15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Since this is the DIY thread, here is a list of some of my notes

-Parts List-

Engine Oil Filter 280459

Engine Oil Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10W60 13 liters

Brake Fluid Shell Donax UB Brake Fluid Dot4 Ultra 1.2 liters (I will see if Castrol SRF might work instead)

Power Steering Fluid Pentosin CHF 11S 1.6 liters

Windshield Washer Fluid 6 liters

Air Filter Cartridge 223039

Pollen Filter 82035700

PTU Gear Oil Shell TF 1055 3 liters (I will see if Redline 74W90NS might work instead)

DCT Gear Oil Shell Transaxle 75w90 / Spirax S5 3.5 liters (I will see if Redline 74W90NS might work instead)

Clutch System & DCT Controls Shell DCT F3 7.75 liters (I will see if Redline 31004 DCTF might work instead)

Spark Plugs 297423

Cooling Circuit 50% Shell Glycoshell / 50% Carix G30 16.9 liters

AC System Refrigerant R134a 560g

AC System Compressor RL 897 200mL

PTU Electrohydraulic Actuator Shell DCT F3 0.6 liters (I will see if Redline 31004 DCTF might work instead)

Lift Hydraulic System Shell Donax TX / Shell Spirax S4 ATF HDX 1.1 liters (I am not sure what a replacement might be for this)

============================================================================================================

If you are covered under the 7 year maint I believe this is the list of services your car will get (there is a lower limit and upper limit time wise, so you can't just request the service when you want)

-Ferrari Authorized Service-
    Annual Service or 12,500 Miles -a-
    Annual Service or 12,500 Miles -b-
    Annual Service or 12,500 Miles -c-
    Annual Service or 12,500 Miles -d-
    Annual Service or 12,500 Miles
    Brake Fluid Change -each 2 years-
    Auxillary Belt Change -each 4 years/37,500 miles-
    Annual Service or 12,500 miles
    PTU Gears Oil Change -each 4 years/12,500 miles-
    PTU Gears Oil Change -each 4 years/12,500 miles-
    Annual Service or 12,500 miles -e-
    Air Filter Change -each 2 years/12,500 miles-
    Auxillary Belt Change -each 4 years/37,500 miles-
    Annual Service or 12,500 miles -f-

Service at 62,500 Miles
    Spark plugs change -each 37,500 miles-
    Spark plugs change -each 37,500 miles-

============================================================================================================

This is a list of what I expect to be done

-Every Year Annual Service-
    Inspect Brake Pads and Rotors, Replace if necessary
    Inspect for Leaks
    Inspect Engine Drive Belt, Replace if necessary
    Replace Engine Oil Filter
    Replace Engine Oil
    Inspect Power Steering Fluid, Engine Coolant, Windshield Washer Fluid, Top up if necessary
    Replace Pollen Filter
    Replace Windshield Wiper Blade
    Check Tire Pressure

-Every Two Year Service-
    Replace Brake Fluid
    Replace Air Filter Cartridge

-Every Four Year Service-
    Replace Engine Drive Belt

-This ends up being my maint schedule-

12,500 miles
    Every Year Annual Service

25,000 miles
    Every Two Year Service

37,500 miles

50,000 miles
    Every Two Year Service
    Every Four Year Service

62,500 miles
    Change DCT Gearbox Gear Oil
    Change Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid
    Change Spark Plugs

And repeat

papou, otakki, rhern213 and 3 others like this.
  16. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I wanted to place in here the discussions in another thread for the FF/Lusso on how to check for the possibility of an internal seal leak of the PTU.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ff-ptu-design-flaw.605529/page-27

The general idea is if the internal PTU seal is leaking, then the hydraulic fluid from the reservoir tank will drain into the PTU and eventually cause it to fail. So it would be a good idea to periodically check the reservoir tank (I would say at minimum during each annual service) in case of it being drained.

It's a simple check to see that the reservoir tanks fluid is at the minimum level, all that's needed is to remove the engine bay cover on the LHD side.
    There are 2 tanks for the fluid, a filler tank at the top and the tank that actually holds all the fluid right underneath. The top filler tank would usually be empty as this is only there to have easy access for re-filling. The larker tank underneath is what needs to always be full.

Removing the engine bay cover is straight forward, just remove all the allen head screws that are easily visible. There is 1 allen screw that is hidden towards the center of the cover underneath the weather stripping. Once removed you'll see the tanks next to the headlight. The lower tank will have a minimum fill line mark that is visible. If your fluids are above this line then all should be good. If it's below the line then you'll probably want to have the car checked out for possible external leaks, or a proper check of the fluid inside the PTU to know for sure if it's mixed.

Picture guides are below, good luck!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

andyrichter, papou and otakki like this.
  17. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    I have exposed the PTU oil reservoir on my 2014 FF to top off the PTU. The correct lube is Shell DTC-F3 . I am hoping this will clear the fault codes I am having.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki and rhern213 like this.
  18. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Where to purchase Shell DTC-F3 in the U.S.?

19. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Not sure about the Shell oil specifically, but I would guess you can get it from dealers. Also to note Ferrari is not the only manufacturer who uses it, I believe VW group and Mercedes use the same in their DCT's so perhaps it can be bought from them as well.

Alternatively, most of the smaller oil brands, liqui moly, red line, amsoil, etc... have their own DCT fluids that meet the same specs as the Shell version. And you can of course buy any of those directly from them.

20. isellair

isellair Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    I purchased a quart on ebay. GTE engineering in NJ has it available as well although its not the Shell brand 973-324-7841

Solid State likes this.
  21. FF66630

FF66630 Rookie

Oct 20, 2023
    Dubaj
    Full Name:
    AD
    I am trying to Wrap my head around this, so may I ask the following questions and ask for help to fully comprehend?

1. The first Reservoir is the transparent one with the easy to fill top, which takes a 75w90 oil and mit NOT be filled till the top?

2. Where is that second Reservoir exactly that needs the hydraulic clutch oil? And how does that oil differ if it's also a 75w90?

Thank you for your help!

22. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    No, the front transmission filler tank side does not use standard 75w90 gear oil. Do not use that or you're going to have a bad day.

The filler tank side of the front transmission uses DCT fluid.

Both the top and bottom front reservoirs are connected together. You pour the fluid into the top tank and it just flows into the bottom tank. The top tank serves as a filler/expansion, so it is actually important the top tank not have much of any fluid in it so the bottom fluid is allowed to "spill over" into the top tank. If the top tank is filled there won't be any space for the fluid to expand into, causing too much fluid pressure that can can damaged the pump.

The bottom tank is the main one that feeds the pump directly and should always be filled to the top. Note that when the car is turned on and the pump is primed it will suck-in fluid, and when the car is turned off the pump will sort of spit the fluid back out into the tank

Both tanks are transparent btw

23. FF66630

FF66630 Rookie

Oct 20, 2023
    Dubaj
    Full Name:
    AD

Attached Files:

24. FF66630

FF66630 Rookie

Oct 20, 2023
    Dubaj
    Full Name:
    AD
    And on the attached Diagram, i marked it up too, is that correctly understood by me that there DCT Fluid only is put in?

And where exactly does the 75w90 then go anyway?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Yes your diagram arrow is where you put the DCT fluid.

Keep in mind, those filler tanks where the DCT fluid goes is not the PTU. It's only for the hydraulic pump that's the smaller control unit in that diagram.

The PTU is the larger unit in that diagram. That's where the 75w90 gear oil goes. They are 2 separate units that require different types of fluids. There really isn't any reason or need to flush the PTU gear oil.