I have been offered a pair of Daytona spec front brake callipers, one has a repaired crack | FerrariChat

I have been offered a pair of Daytona spec front brake callipers, one has a repaired crack

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Captain Boogaloo, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Captain Boogaloo

May 16, 2014
    Been offered a pair of Daytona spec front brake callipers, one of which has had a 'small crack in a mounting lug repaired'; is this safe to use or is it a disaster waiting to happen?
    Thanks for any replies in advance,
    The Captain

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Repair = meaning welding? I would not mount a caliper that has been welded on the mounting lug. Cast iron can be welded but load carrying lugs with cracks should be scrapped in my opinion.

Best, Peter

readplays likes this.
  3. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    yep junk it
    Maybe you could buy used BMW, don't remember the model, and use the mounting side of that one to make a whole good Daytona one.
    The BMW one fits 15mm discs from memory so you need 20 -22(?) for Daytona but the both sides of the caliper are the same.
    This is all very old memory for me but do some research yourself -- it can be done.

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    It really depends on exact location of the crack and how exactly was it repaired, all which would require visual, perhaps magna-flux inspection to determine if its operational safety aspects have become compromised or if there are additional cracks or damage elsewhere in it.
    In worse case the broken/repaired caliper might be useful for spare parts.
    Should you choose to obtain them, but have no direct need, I could be interested in buying them.
    If they become available, you’re welcome to PM me your contact information.
    Timo

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Who would even take that risk on a braking system? Maybe for a classic car that was for show and only go is out of trailer onto the show grounds?

NYC Fred, readplays and 375+ like this.
  6. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    How much money (for a new caliper) are we talking about here? Would it be worth to take the risk of a failing brake which would end in disaster?

readplays, turbo-joe and miurasv like this.
  7. Captain Boogaloo

May 16, 2014
    Thank you Gentlemen; reading back my own words ( and your comments) has meant I've reached the only sensible conclusion - namely that calliper will be swapped out for a bmw Bavaria unit and the Daytona spacers used to correct the disc width.
    I can always use another paperweight!
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Now, does anybody have a pair of Daytona seat slider/mounts that are surplus to requirements?

Cheerio
    The Captain

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Captain, as far as I know, BMW caliper interchange won't apply to front ones, only rears and even on those, other than what "daytonaman" mentioned, there are notable differences...

9. Captain Boogaloo

May 16, 2014
    Hello Ttr,
    the spacers used by Ate/Ferrari certainly seem to be the only difference between the (front) Bmw Bavaria and (rear) Bmw 2002ti 1970s cars, it's a (relatively) well known way of sourcing replacement calliper parts. And certain Mercedes used the same door locks too ( for those of us with one eye on the bank account!!) as the Daytona.
    anyone know of any other 'crossover' parts for the Daytona?
    Cheerio
    The Captain

10. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Timo what differences do you know -- piston size ? -- or ?

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #11 TTR, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Howard, this is also from fading memory, but when I needed to replace OEM rear calipers on a car long ago, I seem to recall something like the inlet fittings for flex hoses were different.
    OTOH, I don’t have experience with BMW or their calipers and was just told replacements I was trying to install originally came from one.
    Perhaps they were actually from something else ?

12. Captain Boogaloo

May 16, 2014
    Well, chaps I can't give you a definitive answer for at least six weeks, as my parts are included in a shipment; I have ordered a pair of the Bmw Bavaria callipers however, soooo I will report back. I still think, with the addition of the spacers and longer bolts, they will be identical.
    Cheerio
    The Captain

13. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Thanks Timo, I have a pair in my shed somewhere which I will dig out and photograph for you.

14. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Admittedly couldn't compare them side by side but they look the same to me

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In general appearance, so did the ones I encountered, but the devil was in the details and IIRC, specifically in some of the hardware fittings, etc.
    OTOH, these are recollections from 15-20 years ago.
    I probably photo documented it all, but countless cars/jobs/restorations and likely 100,000+ photos taken since…

16. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli

Captain - I have done a number of seat refittings and I've found that seat rails from a FIAT will work perfectly in a Ferrari. In fact, I have used them in my own GTC and they are much better than the originals.
    The ones I've used are from FIAT spiders in the 1978 to 1985 range.
    Also, you don't have to modify your original seats except for possibly a few holes for mounting bolts.

Bob Z.

17. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    If 365 GTB/4 calipers are the same as 365 GT4 2+2 and 400 they are equal to several BMW's with part nr. 34111101093 and 34111101094. Repair kit is 34111103723.
    Corresponding ATE nr's are 13.4401-8021.2 (left side) and 13.4401-8022.2 (right side). Repair kit is 13.0441-4018.2

The spacer for thicker disc and longer bolts must be installed. Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Captain Boogaloo

May 16, 2014
    Hello Bob Z, that's a great tip, thanks very much indeed; I'll have a look for some spider seat rails.
    And Arvid, that's a quite superb post, complete with pictures too! Outstanding job with the part numbers also - happily they jive with the new units I have ordered from Carid, so if I can get some new bolts/nuts and seals, I'll effectively have new front brake callipers; another step closer with the Daytona project. Thanks to you both Gentlemen.
    Cheerio
    The Captain

Arvid likes this.