812SF front bonnet issue when driving above 250km/h | FerrariChat

812SF front bonnet issue when driving above 250km/h

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by nasko812, Sep 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nasko812

nasko812 Rookie

Mar 7, 2021
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Nasko
    Anyone noticed something strange with the front bonnet of the 812SF when driving with over 250km/h?

I recently drove my car in Germany and when I was driving with 250 - 300 km/h I noticed that the airflow pushes the bonnet up so much that you can see difference in the height of it compared to the fenders.
    I even stopped and checked if everything was OK and the it was properly locked and everything seemed fine.
    I then found a POV video on Youtube with the 812 going over 300km/h and even tough it is very hard to judge on the video because the focus is not there, it was quite obvious that the bonnet was going up.
    It is quite strange but could be normal.

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    scary for sure!! There is a video on Youtube where the wipers are constantly moving back up to the vertical position at very high speed though.

3. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I'm not an aero expert, but I'd imagine it has something to do with the air coming in the front and exiting the hood ducts. I could be wrong, but that would be a first guess. My guess is that the air exiting the vents doesn't have the force to push down the very front of the hood. Here's a picture from Ferrari's aerodynamics video showing what I'm talking about. Link here: https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/812-superfast
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. nasko812

nasko812 Rookie

Mar 7, 2021
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Nasko
    It is exactly next to the ducts where the hood is going up. I think it must be a structural flow because there is nothing to hold the hood at this area. It is being hold only at the top and the bottom.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Be careful at those speeds as the rear windshield will fly off as well. Do you have a picture of the hood rising on your car? Air getting trapped under the hood. A design tradeoff between looks and performance. Manzoni added the front and rear vents to the original PF design for looks. I don't think the rear vents do any real good either especially the one blocked by the gas filler hardware.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Was doing 330+ recently in the GTS and the bonnet did not lift. I'm always looking for that, because many fast cars do this. The pressure under the bonnet is one of, if not the biggest reason for front end lift. It stayed completely flat and the car ran straight with no drama.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    so I watched again this video and I believe I can see the side of the hoods getting slightly higher than the fenders when above 300km/hr. Look at around 19min, he accelerates from 200 to 340km/hr.

8. nasko812

nasko812 Rookie

Mar 7, 2021
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Nasko
    I watched exactly the same video when I was looking into my issue.
    It is obvious that the hood is lifting slightly up at high speed.
    It is very strange.

It won't be easy to replicate by my local dealership because of the speed limit, though.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nope. Everything on a Ferrari has to be signed off by the aerodynamicists first. It's simplistic to think that the add vents for looks alone.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'm sure everything has to be approved but it seems he adds flaps and gills as a matter of design on every production car. Those rear vents disappeared on the GTS but kept the front vents or else it would have looked too much like the F12B that they are all based on.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If you follow F1, you will see that they might add something in one place and detract another thing in another place. It all has to do with overall design. The GTS has different aero (worse aero overall), but they need to run it through the aero tunnel anyway.

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Not correct. There are many cases of Ferraris following form over function over the years. e.g the testarossa family have a very un-aerodynamic front grill even though there is no radiator or cooling behind it. Just a blanking plate. Just there for looks because they didn't want the front to look like a tesla 3 :)

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I was talking about modern Ferraris. When the Testarossa was designed aero wasn't such a big concern.

14. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Never noticed it. The 812 SF does 250 kph on the front straight and 280+ kph on the back straight at COTA.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat