Scuderia Ferrari 2022 | FerrariChat

Scuderia Ferrari 2022

Discussion in 'F1' started by jpalmito, Sep 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Ray Smith, Bas, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Been hearing next year since 2008.

3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree.
    Next year is our year.
    We just can only hope isn’t it ?

4. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Eventually our year will come and hopefully it will be 2022 that will be the start of Ferrari's ascendency.

Forza Ferrari

F2003-GA, Ray Smith and pilotoCS like this.
  5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My prediction is that SF will struggle next year and beyond (hope i am wrong) as they [possibly] havent got or invested in technology with ground effect cars. It will be a steep learning curve for them and are behind the race to the front of the grid, unless they buy in the expertise. Who do they poach?

Take Mercedes involvement in Formulae E, the cars are basically ground effect cars, they have participated in the series for a number of years and gained critical data and design evolution/s for use on the 2022 cars and moreover escaped the budget limitations handicapping the other F1 teams.

I now see they have pulled the plug on Formulae E for 2022, theres a surprise - coincidence? Well designed and planned in my opinion, its served it purpose.

6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sincerely hope you are wrong.
    Don't think Mercedes needeed the formula E to bypass the budget cap.

TonyL likes this.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The Formula E cars are designed by Spark, and their aero is quite restrained compared to next year´s F1. Also the tracks, tyres... everything is completely different. So I don´t think they could have learned much.

ingegnere and jpalmito like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes but this time we really mean it;)

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I sincerely hope i am wrong!

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Beginning to sound like Coulthard.

11. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    That interview is pretty much in line what I read earlier in the Spring; Binotto is pretty much convinced that the new Ferrari engine is going to be atleast on par with everyone else (he has hopes that it could be the number 1 engine in 2022). And with their new state of the art simulator now in good use, there shouln't be much correlation problems.

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    This talks about the new hybrid portion of the PU that will be introduced with PU #4, likely in Turkey, and which should give a sizeable power boost and good in-race development testing ahead of its use in 2022.

jpalmito likes this.
  14. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    2022... "Make Ferrari Great Again"!!!!

john a barnes, stavura and E60 M5 like this.
  15. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Only time will tell. I want to see our guys at the front again. It's been way too long.

16. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Ferrari now says LeClerc will use the new PU this weekend in Russia, along with the grid drop, but hopefully we will see an increase in performance starting now, just a preview of next year.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I've never understood this stupid rule at all..with Max taking an engine change, if things don't go well from here, this could be the whole point of his WDC challenge.

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#18 DF1, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferrari-never-compromised-2022-f1-car-in-fight-for-third/6818739/
    Ferrari "never compromised" 2022 F1 car in fight for third
    By: Pablo Elizalde

Co-author: Christian Nimmervoll
    Nov 25, 2021, 6:53 AM
    Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto says the Italian squad "never compromised" the development of its 2022 Formula 1 car in order to secure third place in this year's constructors' championship.
    The Maranello outfit has been embroiled in a season-long battle for third with McLaren, but has pulled ahead of its British rival in the latter part of the campaign, especially thanks to the results in the last three races.

Ferrari is 39.5 points ahead of McLaren with just two races remaining after the Woking team managed to score just four points in the latest triple-header in Mexico, Brazil and Qatar.

But despite the progress made by Ferrari - which finished sixth in the standings last year with less than half the points it has scored in 2021 - Binotto insists the focus has been on developing its 2022 car for the introduction of new regulations.

"We never really developed the current car," said Binotto. "We introduced a couple of developments at the very start of the season and that's it.

"Except for the power unit later on but the power unit, again that was a development in view of 2022, so all our efforts from the very start of the season has always been the 2022 car, we never compromised it.

"So let's say that it never came into our mind even to at some stage try to penalise 2022 at the benefit of 2021.

"We knew that we could have fight for the third place at the start of this season, we knew it could have been very tight but we knew that our main objective in 2021 was not third place but to try to improve in all the details as a team and third place has simply been an output of it.

"I think if today we are reaching third place it's because the team, the way they are working at various weekends has certainly improved a lot since the start of the season and not because the car itself has developed," he added.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Carlos Sainz Jr., Ferrari SF21, battles with Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing RB16B

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

Binotto reckons that several factors outside of car and engine development have contributed to Ferrari taking a leap forward this season.

"I think the race team since the start of the season has made a lot of progress," he said.

"It has made a lot of progress in terms of strategy, the way we manage, the communication with the drivers, the understanding of what we are doing. It has improved a lot in terms of tyre management.

"I think that the team since Paul Ricard developed a lot of small tools, methodologies to try to do it better.

He added: "If I look at where we were last year, sixth, with little points in the championship, I think we made the most of we could do with the current regulations and most of the car had also very limited opportunities of development as well about the car in 2021.

"So overall, I think that the team has made great progress with what was possible to do, and for that I am so happy because yes, the third position is a great output of the efforts."

john a barnes, ingegnere and pilotoCS like this.
  19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wonder if Enzo was ever so satisfied with being #3.........

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Or 6th place.(2020)

22. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Nobody said they were happy with third. They knew going in to 2021 that they weren’t able to close the gap to the leaders (from 6th as mentioned) due to the token system and so set to improve from their 2020 lows which they have done pretty well.

They’ve not developed the car all year except for introducing the new hybrid system in advance of 2022 and that showed good promise.

Pretty sure Ron Dennis would not be happy with McLaren 4th and Frank Williams would not be happy with his team 9th. Just like Ferrari will not settle for 3rd next year.

375+ and classic308 like this.
  24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Binotto seems to be pretty satisfied.....going from not very good to not quite as bad. It seems to have become the standard season-end assessment.

25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yup, I’m sure he’s very happy for this achievement of lifetime, finishing 3rd.

Jack-the-lad and Marcel Massini like this.