U.S. Monza street legal package? | FerrariChat

U.S. Monza street legal package?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chuckheifner@ yahoo.com, Sep 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chuckheifner@ yahoo.com

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Charles Heifner
    Have any Monza owners received a call from their local dealership in the U.S. regarding the upgrade package to make their vehicles street legal for up to 2,500 miles per year yet? I received my yesterday but with no follow up information, just wondering. Thanks for anything you have heard.

anunakki likes this.
  2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yes, for a fee i have a much simpler solution....

3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    seriously, get a dealer license

rampante550 likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There was a Monza at a Cars & Coffee yesterday and the owner said FNA was working on getting the cars made street legal.

ryalex and anunakki like this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    technom3 likes this.
  6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is she out driving that thing around?

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Get the conversion. It's going to be worth whatever they charge when you go to resell.

If you have a 7 figure car paying the upgrade fee is more than doable plus your car will be much more marketable in the event you go to sell it

9. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    What happened between last year and now that even made this an option?

10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    But will the kit be bolt-on/fully reversible, or require drilling and permanent alterations?

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Production for the USA (actually it may be all product has to be complete before the petition for the "show and display" exception can be filed, that's what changed

more on what show & display is

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs

from FAQ #11:
    Certain motor vehicles that are deemed to be of unusual historical or technological significance can be imported for purposes of show or display. Information on importing a motor vehicle for those purposes can be found on NHTSA’s website at nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle. When a vehicle is imported for purposes of show or display, it cannot be driven in excess of 2,500 miles per year. As a general rule, a motor vehicle will not be determined eligible for importation for purposes of show or display if more than five hundred vehicles of the same model were produced, if a version of the vehicle was originally manufactured for sale in the U.S. and certified as complying with all applicable FMVSS, or if the vehicle has been determined eligible for importation based on its capability of being modified to comply with all applicable FMVSS.

rampante550 likes this.
  12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    How do you do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think much will depend on in which state you are going to register the car. I know Massachusetts has insane requirements, but another state like Florida might let you put anything on the road with minimal alteration. They don't even have vehicle inspections so who would know whether it is street legal or not. :D

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    depends on the state

i had a GA license at one time. i had to go sit in on a 4 hr class. application and a surety bond. not hard.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. bzambranog

bzambranog Rookie

Feb 4, 2022
    Key Biscayne
    Full Name:
    Bernardo Zambrano
    Someone is offering me a SP2 in Europe… my question is if it’s possible to bring it in (USA) as show & display indefinitely or has anmax of 12 months to stay within the USA?

Vermilion.Automobili likes this.
  16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    12 months? From what I have read about Florida, you don't have to register it, insure it or have it inspected, and can drive it to your heart's content until the wheels fall off. You don't even have to pay for the street legal package. :D

17. bzambranog

bzambranog Rookie

Feb 4, 2022
    Key Biscayne
    Full Name:
    Bernardo Zambrano
    This is what the carrier answered me back: "
    The show and display provision is for NHTSA (highway) portion, but does not cover the conversion for the EPA part. This would need you to go to a conversion shop to keep it here.

A foreign resident is allowed, upon approval, to enter the car for a 12 month period, but no longer than that."