How to deal with a dealership? Poor experiences. | FerrariChat

How to deal with a dealership? Poor experiences.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by luckyboy, Sep 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckyboy

luckyboy Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nino
    Hello all, I am new to the forums.

I am seeking my first Ferrari purchase. I'm a huge car guy, and growing up Ferrari was the only word I would say when I was a kid. I'm sure you all get it ;)

Can anybody give me pointers as to how to talk to a salesman at Ferrari? I'm striking out left right and center.

*I understand the current market conditions*

I have contacted one local dealer, and three out of state dealers.. Is it normal for these sales people to be friendly, yet nonchalant? I get "not a single care in the world" vibes from Ferrari dealers.

I make contact, they talk about what they have in stock... I bring up my trade, they say they will trade emails so we can both provide details about our cars.... Then poof! They disappear and I end up chasing them... When I finally do get a hold of them it's about 3-4 days until I even get a trade in number on my car which turns out being very low. All four dealers offer the same amount and they're off by 30k. At that point their numbers are so off I get deterred so I don't even begin negotiating.

Is it out of this world to get a proper interaction? If I just got a fair trade in offer on my vehicle I'd pay full asking price for their cars which are greatly marked up.

Any tips?

Thank you all.

2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ive only dealt with one or two dealers and found they like things simple

And if you can afford a ferrari you can afford a trade in at a crappy value (which will be no matter what brand car you get)

You wont be getting any favors because it’s a Ferrari

kregelin and luckyboy like this.
  3. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    If you do not like the trade in value and other dealers are similar, then sell it yourself, then go to the dealer and be a serious buyer, not an experimental buyer. I am not saying you are not serious, but if they think you are just wasting their time (which you have been if you shop your trade to various dealers), you will not get a lot of attention. What are you trying to trade?

I bought my first Ferrari from Ferrari of Denver. The first few times I went in the dealership, they let me look around, but did not give me much attention. When I went in to buy, it was the same deal, I pointed at a 458 on the floor and told the salesman "I'll take that one right now." Their demeanor changed immediately.

Viperjoe, 430jm, Rexcat458 and 2 others like this.
  4. luckyboy

luckyboy Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nino
    Obviously there won't be any favors, and I am not asking for any... Then again I've read posts about people negotiating in extras like Capristo exhausts and what not. The lack of communication is what's puzzling.

This is not about what is affordable and what is not affordable... I can afford a Chiron, but that does not make a difference. Not going to debate financials, that's child's play. I am willing to buy a Ferrari, but not at the cost of getting bamboozled on my trade while the salesman drools at the "gross" he's making.

5. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ok but is the trade in value $30k less than any other dealer? Or just $30k less than you expect??

You cant expect a personal sale price on a trade in value at a dealer

Personally i mostly trade the cars and dont car about what they offer, as ive made the decision i want something else

Sometimes
    I sell privately

6. luckyboy

luckyboy Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nino
    I am trading in a 911 Turbo S, and you are right. I'm much better off selling it myself but obviously the trade in tax credit is a large factor along with the convenience.

I don't want to waste any time as much as they don't either. My local dealer is a Penske store with cars similar for sale like mine, at Ferrari for well over 50-70k than what they're offering me. My car is nicer with warranty as well. Then again their asking prices are insanely high for a lesser spec 488 vs out of state. None of their cars are certified either, which instead they sell for an additional cost.

I too have noticed that they do not talk to you on the floor, and I get it. No one has time for dreamers.

I do have a good friend who is a high profile client (enzo owner, and collector) but don't want to bring myself down by asking him to speak on my behalf... I just may do that at this point.

7. luckyboy

luckyboy Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nino
    Porsche stores are offering 20-25k more, which I'm sure by negotiating I could get the proper offer. After 5 straight Porsche's, I'm a bit over them at this point lol

I appreciate the feedback!

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Where are you located? One thing you can do as ask to consign your car instead of outright trade in.

luckyboy likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Another option- find a Indy dealer that has all brands. Www.luxuryautocollection.com is an example. Not saying to necessarily buy from there but it’s an option.

when I bought my first Ferrari I got treated like crap from The sales guy at the ferrari store. So I bought from an Indy dealer and just happened to drop by the dealership. The attitude changed when they figured out they lost my business.

10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    very simple, take the trade out of the equation, sell it yourself later..find the car you want, call the dealer, go see it or have it checked out and be ready to buy on the spot..thats how you buy a car, no reason for too much talk

luckyboy, Bandit23, Rexcat458 and 2 others like this.
  11. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    When asking these types of questions please identify your location. Tax credits vary widely by state, literally nothing i have ever even considered here in California. My local dealer (San Diego Ferrari) has never treated me less than their absolute favorite customer when I show up. In ten years I've only bought three cars. Different dealers, different attitudes.

Avia11 and luckyboy like this.
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Same, here in NorCal. If you’re in a state that only taxes the difference between buy and trade-in, you are probably stuck with whatever dealers you have in your state. But to answer your question, not all dealers behave like those you have encountered so far.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

luckyboy and rob5819 like this.
  13. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    The math isn't that hard. If you can sell it for far more, do it. I did. Just buy the one you want and sell your other car. Personally, I hired someone else to sell my old car. Even after eating 2% for that guy and 6.25% for sales tax, I came out more than $10k ahead of trading in. The craziest twist was a different Ferrari dealership bought my old car. (was this the best use of time? Maybe not. But I have a hard time paying that much for something that takes a few hours of time)

luckyboy and EastMemphis like this.
  14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Broker the trade to remove their risk - talk to the Porsche store manager and get their offer in writing, then go to Ferrari and say here’s my trade and here’s what you’ll get for it from this dealer as wholesale but I need you to run it through as a trade to capture the tax credit.

jeffcap64, Wrencher, mj1214 and 5 others like this.
  15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The story goes that the used car market is on fire...
    It's very easy to determine the value of your Porsche...do that, and then walk in the door and lay the deal that YOU are comfortable with in front of them. They'll either take it or they won't.
    When you are doing it the way it sounds like you're doing it, you are just begging to be taken advantage of.

Gazza21 and luckyboy like this.
  16. JasonXander84

JasonXander84 Rookie

Sep 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jason Xander
    I Couldnt agree more with this statement. I think people have this misperception that if your looking for a deal then you cant afford it. Thats absurd and really not a financially responsible way to think. Just because you have the money you should throw it around without question? I think thats absurd. Wise spending comes in every tax bracket.

obertRo, rossodino, luckyboy and 3 others like this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    You want the Ferrari. Take the path of selling the car that makes most sense for YOU!

Keep in mind that, in many states, you will receive a "large" tax reduction on the trade-in. If your state is one of these, you could receive a tax reduction that will, in effect, get you to where or near where you need to be monetarily (in the end). Do the math. Say you trade your car in to your Ferrari dealer for $100,000. That could take $5k, $6k, $7k.... off your tax on the newly acquired Ferrari. Ask the dealer about it. Or, check your state tax laws on trade-ins. When I traded my GT3 in on my 488, the offer from the dealer was low, which made the car attractive for the dealer, but I was made whole - maybe a little more than - in the final counting of $ - due to the tax reduction on the newly acquired 488.

luckyboy and Chizz like this.
  18. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I think if you are able to acquire a new Ferrari, then they’ll be fair with the trade. But that is somewhat rare and it’s anything goes on trading used for used. If you don’t like the offer, the pre owned market is raging right now.

luckyboy likes this.
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Stealer is going to always ream you on the trade in value, question is how much…10-20k?
    I agree that a broker may be worth the time of hassling with tire kickers if you decide to private sell it. The right broker won’t gauge you as much as the stealer. If you want any referrals feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckyboy and Jakuzzi like this.
  20. Bkclients

Bkclients Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    Contact JP at Ferrari of Washington DC, in all my dealings with dealerships both local and out of state he is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

luckyboy likes this.
  21. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I can only imagine how hard it is for a Ferrari. dealership to try and figure out who is a legit customer and who is not. That said - My first purchase went well because I was referred in by a current customer. I have bought 3 cars from one dealership and 1 from dealership in CA. I will say all 4 have been disappointing. For as much as they charge (for car and service), they need to do way better. I have seen a few post on here from some dealerships that seem to get it. Most do not - IMO. I guess they have so much demand they don’t care - but if I owned the dealership I would make sure every purchase was memorable for the customer.

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Welcome to the forum, first off.

Second, yeah, what you are running into is fairly typical of most Ferrari dealers over the years, especially if you are not a known and/or repeat client. It varies among dealerships, but I remember when I bought my first Ferrari - back in 1998 - I barely was able to even get a return phone call.

My advice would be this:

1. Sell your car yourself. In the current market environment, you'll most likely get a lot more money. It will also remove one additional layer of complexity from the Ferrari end of the transaction.

2. Generally speaking, it's usually a lot easier to find a used Ferrari sitting in a dealership and just walk in and buy that. The car is there, they want to move it, you are there to buy, easy peasy. Once you do that, you are much more in the fold and typically it won't be too long after that until they will approach you wanting to upgrade you to whatever the new car is, hoping also to take the car they just sold you back in trade or consignment, so that they can make yet another commission by selling it again.

If you are attempting to buy the latest Ferrari - like everyone else in the Ferrari world - be prepared to get in line and wait several years usually. Also, if you are not a known customer, you may find you end up on a list where you pay a deposit but magically you keep slipping down the list.

It's not like buying a Toyota.

Ray

23. luckyboy

luckyboy Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nino
    Absolutely solid replies in here, you guys are a good bunch!

Great news, I returned a call to a Ferrari dealer in CA and asked them why they didn't return my call. I politely asked "what kind of service is this?". After I hung up, minutes later the sales manager called me back and took down all my information... Few minutes later, BAM! His first offer is literally what I wanted on my trade.. 170k (which is still less than KBB trade in value). My Turbo S spec is stunning and one of the highest MSRP for my model year... I'm sure I could get more for it, but the tax credit saves me roughly $14k. I live in AZ.

Don't want to bad mouth my local dealer, but I just was not a fan.

Wish me luck guys! I hope to bump this thread with some pics!

Sav35 and 430jm like this.
  24. luckyboy

luckyboy Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nino
    Another question for the crew, when you bring in your car for service.. How's the experience? Do they offer loaner vehicles? If so, what do they put you in?

Is Ferrari good with warranty claims? Meaning will they change out faulty trim pieces inside the cabin? Rattles or buzzing speakers?

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No loaners. If you have a ferrari, likely you have other cars. I’m local in AZ and never had a loaner from the Ferrari or Mclaren dealers.

As far as warranty claims- yes they are good with the stuff. The Penske dealership is really good. Speak with Russell Bastian- service manager.