The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You ought to be a politician...

Back on ignore you go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Corvette sells for 25% of the price of an F8. It offers tremendous value and for those who cannot or will not spend the price of a nice house in the US suburbs, the C8 looks like a sports car and drives like one. It will not compete on any level with an F8, EVO RWD, Mclaren 720S, and it would defy every law and norm of economics, if it did.

therryzsx likes this.
  3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A lot of angst in this thread. Since most of you have not checked the C8 thread in the American Muscle forum I have cut and pasted “The Mayor’s” review of his C8 below. It it a very fair and balanced review. Hopefully this will answer some of the questions posted earlier:

First, this it the most unAmerican American car I have ever driven. Sitting in this car, aside from the obvious GM touchscreen (which is excellent BTW), you wouldn't know its from Kentucky. No ugly plastic. Excellent front view. Very good steering, brakes, and engine sound. I'm honestly shocked. Is it a Ferrari 458? No. Not even close. But its just a darn good car and worth every penny.

This car is so different than the C7 its impossible to even try to equate them. First, let's talk about fit and finish over the C7. Its like 1000% improved. It has better panel gaps than my 458 did. Second the creature comforts are remarkable. HVAC, cameras and safety warning devices, comfortable seats, complete adjustability of the cars dynamics from mild to wild, and honestly-- really good looks. I think the convertible is much better looking than the coupe, especially with the top down. I'm not sure I would say that about the 458.

About the driving experience. Well, its plenty fast. I floored it once and let it hit the redline to shift. When it shifted into 2nd I thought something was wrong. The car just leaped and snaps your head back. The engine has so much torque. Yet its so easy to just putter around town. But if you put their foot into it -- woosh!

Mag ride: Worth it. I've adjusted it several times to see if there is a difference. In touring mode its comfortable, in sports mode you get the feeling its a sports car, and in track mode you feel everything as it appears stiff.

Steering. Really good for an American car. Not quite as good as Ferrari but sooooo much better than the C7. The C7 seemed artificial to me like a programmer tried to figure out how to make steering feel. This one reacts I would say normal and is very responsive.

Engine: You can tell its a big American V8 back there. It sounds like one but a bit more refined. IMO, the 458 V8 is probably the best modern sportscar engine ever made. Running it to 9000 RPM is something you can't replicate. But this car has power on demand and is easy to modulate. It beats the 458 motor in low end torque.

Exhaust: In tour mode its probably too quiet. I put it in the loud "sport" mode and this thing has a large "POP!" out the exhaust at most gear changes. It also burbles when off the gas decelerating. This was the one thing the 458 lost from 2012 to 2013. And when it starts up, the noise is really impressively loud. It has several exhaust loudness levels -- at least 3 I can see.

Front lift: OMG how did I live without this before? What's cool is you can raise the car about 2 inches in like 3 seconds and then store the information by GPS. Then the next time you approach that area it raises automatically. It makes transitions from parking lots to the road worry free. I haven't scraped the car yet.

DCT gearbox: I have said before that the 458 gearbox wasn't as interesting to me as the F430. In the F430 I felt like actual gears were slamming together back there. The 458 seemed a bit too smooth and even artificial at times. This Tremec box is darn good. Shifts down immediately. Shifts up are pretty smooth. It does "creep" at a stoplight which I don't like (McLarens do also) but I think its to get a harder acceleration. Honestly -- a darn good box if they don't break over the long haul.

Acceleration: Its in the OMG territory. Frightening but not squirrely. Very stable. I think the eDiff is keeping it straight.

Brakes: Honestly this was my biggest surprise. I really worried about the electronic brakes but they are really, really good. I don't feel them as artificial. The brake is hard and the throw small. I've nailed it a couple of times and it stops really well with no drama. Impressive.

Handling: I really haven't given it its all yet but I drove in some twisties today trying to get a feel for it. Compared to a C7 I have complete confidence in this thing. It has a real bite to it coming out of the corners.

Dash TFT screen: IMO, overly complicated with too much information. It looks like someone saw what McLaren does and just kept adding more and more stuff. I do like the tach graphics though. Easy to read at a glance.

Daily driving: You can certainly drive this car all day long and not feel stressed out. But I love the cameras. Yesterday I parked it in a small lot and I used the front cameras. I saw in the camera a concrete block that without the camera, I surely would have hit it. It has a "overhead view" system that makes it look like you're above the car looking right over the front end. I see this concrete block and I'm like: "WTF is that?" I get out and see the block about 6 inches from the front spoiler. I just saved my first "ooops". And the back up camera is excellent, even in low light levels. But this is no way a "small car". It fills up a parking space pretty easily.

Cowl shake: None. No seriously -- none that I've seen. I haven't tried to drive it over railroad tracks at 50 MPH but I see no cowl shake at all anywhere. No squeals or rattles either but most of my driving has been top down. Maybe the mag ride helps with this.

Storage: IMO, the back trunk is a bit of a joke. My Alfa 4c has a more usable trunk. The C8 rear trunk is pretty thin so you can't put a bag back there. And it does get a bit toasty so don't put any ice cream back there on the way back from the market. The front trunk is OK but the 458 has more space. I can put one airline overhead bag in there and a thin laptop bag on top -- but that's about it. So if you go on a long trip, pack light and use soft luggage for the rear.

Convertible driving: Driving at highway speeds has little buffeting unlike the coupe version. I really like that you can start the car top down while pulling into space. But you have to hold the button so you have to pull in with one hand. It does seem a lot like the 458 but with the 458 you had to be at a complete stop. You can do this up to 30 MPH. Like the 458 you can lower the rear glass with the top up. I really like this feature on both cars if you want to drive with the top up.

HVAC: IMO the biggest downfall of the 458 spider was the HVAC system. There was just not enough airflow in hot weather. The C8 does not have that problem although the vents are a bit bizarre. Still you can drive around in warm weather and the AC will keep you comfortable. And it has so much heat if you want it you could run topless in Fairbanks on Christmas day.

Information system: Pretty impressive but its standard Chevy. The screen is large and easy to navigate. It has Apple car play built in for running your music or Waze. I used the phone and had no problem talking even with the top down. I like that it gives the speed limit of the road I'm on and alerts for School Zones. Almost everything in the car is adjustable on this touch screen. Gives all kinds of data on the system in real time (G force, tire pressures, etc). This beats Ferrari by a mile (if you care about this stuff). AND, on top of all that, the touch screen is a new material that doesn't leave ugly fingerprints. My C7 used to look just plain gross from smears all over it.

Heads up display: Not bad but I really don't use it. Certainly readable even in strong sunlight. Its also adjustable for different information, brightness, and location.

HVAC: IMO the biggest downfall of the 458 spider was the HVAC system. There was just not enough airflow in hot weather. The C8 does not have that problem although the vents are a bit bizarre. Still you can drive around in warm weather and the AC will keep you comfortable. And it has so much heat if you want it you could run topless in Fairbanks on Christmas day. I was worried that the aluminum vent details would constantly reflect into my eyes -- but it hasn't happened.

Looks: I have to say I love my color combo. That being said, the tan dash does reflect into the windshield and can bother your ability to see in some situations. People who see the car know its a Corvette but compliment the looks. Most say it looks like a Ferrari or Lambo but know its a Chevy.

The seats: Very, very comfortable. And unlike Ferrari they come with every imaginable power adjustment standard. I get the feeling the seats are higher in the C8 than the 458. The C8 is a little easier to get in and out of but the door is really wide.

Did it come with any problems?: As far as I can see, the only thing that isn't working is my "Home" button on the Info screen. Because of this, when using Apple car play there's no way to get back home to exit out. So I have to unplug the phone. I'm waiting to see if anything else pops up before taking it in to have it fixed.

Does it have "soul"? Kinda. When you drive a Ferrari, you really get the idea you are in something special. The C8 doesn't give you that feeling but it does have its own personality. As I said, you forget this car is American after about 10 minutes of driving it.

Fun to drive?: Absolutely. This is no Camry. Its a luxury sports GT with an awesome kick in the pants when you want it to show off. And I love driving topless again. This is the first convertible I've had in 5 years. If the C8 did not come as a convertible, I would not have bought one. Its the best $7 grand option ever.

Things I like: The convertible top is a marvel (so was the 458 spider though). The drama when putting your foot to the floorboard. The creature comfort stuff. The safety stuff (I already had the side warning go off in a parking lot saving me from backing into a car coming from the left that I could not see). The square steering wheel (I was sure I would hate this but I actually like it). The radio is pretty amazing. Even top down at highway speeds you can blast it and the sound quality is great. Again I think this is one thing the Americans do best. The lack of a blind spot when looking over your shoulder (only in the convertible -- the coupes seem worse than the 458 coupe). The "wall of buttons". Actually it looks stupid but works really well. Much easier to adjust than using the touch screen menus. Lastly, amuse your friends by making the top go up without you being in the car and then start the car remotely! Its like a magic show to most people.

Things I don't like: IMO, the paddle shifters are too far away from the wheel and the throw is too long. I've moved the paddles not enough some times and nothing happens. You really have to move them all the way down to make a shift. Also it has the paddles attached to the wheel like McLaren's do. IMO, I prefer the Ferrari method but its not a deal breaker. My Alfa 4c has the same set up attached to the wheel. I replaced the tan carpets with black ones from Lloyds. The first footstep into the car the mats looked horrible. Not sure why Chevy didn't make the mats black in the first place. As I said, the tan dash can reflect and obstruct vision at times. C8 is a bit big and thirsty. It goes through gas pretty quickly even if just puttering. I'm getting like 16 MPG in the city and 27 on the highway -- even in 8th gear. The stripes to me look cheap. Too thick and obviously vinyl. I thought it should be more like a decal. AND I don't like that you have to drive it 500 miles before the car gets all its power. Seems like a waste to me.

All in all, its a great daily driver Sports GT. Better than a Porsche? Probably not but certainly no slouch. Is it a replacement for a used Ferrari 458? No way. But for 90 grand and low maintenance (the first oil change is free at 7500 miles) as well as a 3 year warranty, its a hell of a bargain.

And believe me --- when you put your foot down it gets up and GOES!

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The description above is so ebulliently glowing on virtually every parameter of performance, fit and finish, as well as ergonomics, why is it not competitive with a Porsche or a Ferrari? The review does not take into account the price factor until the conclusion and offers no detailed explanation as to why the C8 is not competitive with the named super cars.

5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    You clearly are...(a politician, that is). Make up a story, get called for doing it, and then play victim.

Since I'm on "ignore', you'll never see this. Just as well.

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    #306 mdrums, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    I do not really put a whole lot of my decision or thoughts into exhaust sounds on the internet. They are normally recorded on a phone, compressed and played through another phone or tablet... I would not judge the exhaust note too much from that video.
    I watch a ton of Ring video's..yeah I am weird... lol...there are a few Youtube channels that are nothing but cars going around the Ring. To me the C8 ZO6 sounds really good compared to other cars at the Ring recorded on a phone.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  8. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Agreed as a 458 owner to an extent, however the 458 still sounds better of course. Chevy is obviously 100% targeting Ferrari in every aspect w/ the new Vette and I applaud them for their efforts. I've seen a many and it's to me now a "poor mans Ferrari" or to a Vette enthusiast possibly the holy grail. However, to me it's still a Chevy anyway you shake it.....

SECRET likes this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This thread amuses me. Ferrari owners are upset, C8 owners are upset. Meanwhile all the cars are great and everyone needs to chillllll

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    On a side note, all these cars suck compared to the 765LT so let’s fight about that.

Thecadster, rob5819, Coincid and 3 others like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I explained to you what I mean, and I never said you made the comparison. I said it was something that was said in general. I never said that you said Porsche would be knocked off its pedestal. I said the C8 would need to do so in order to be a big success. Again, general statements you then put your spin on and take personal.
    Minor leagues? Where did I use that expression? Please show me.

Every damn time I say anything, you spin it to be me talking about you, or try to condesend to you. Trust me Jimmy, you are not that important for me to make it all about me trying to put you down. And in your elaborate attempt to make me look bad, also completely ignore the fact that I stated more than once that I like Corvettes. But I guess that does not fit with your agenda, now does it Jimmy? And apparently neither did it that your attempt to make me look ill informed about the the firing orders, as well as me not knowing a thing about the automotive industry. You pick and choose to make YOU look like the victim! And when I finally call it quits because this crap is not going anywhere, you can't leave well enough alone and call me out for pulling cheap shots before disappearing. You must really be an insecure and sorry old sod, if the fact that someone in Europe aren't as thrilled about the C8 can get to you in that way. Can't you get it through your head that those of us who live in Europe and are part of the sports car and exotic car scene might have a bif more insight into what GM is up against? And why the hell do you take it personal that I don't think Tadge is 100% right in his assesment? That has ZERO to do with you, or your purchase.

You are pissed off because not all of us agree and don't hold your pride and joy in as high regard as you do.

And while we are on the subject of ******** condesending comments. Euro dealers needing the US more than GM needs Europe?! How ****ing self-endulgent and arrogant is that statement? We are talking about GM trying to open up the Corvette to the European market. Who needs who in that context? Well GM very much needs Europe. And I think it is safe to say that Ford and FCA would hate to lose the Euro market if we are talking brand value across the sea. The US manufactures matters to the EU and the EU manufactures matter to the US. Do you seriously think it would only hurt the EU if Daimler-Benz, BMW, and VAG shut down their US operation? Get over yourself Jimmy.
    GM is trying to establish a small niche in Europe, not a major implement. GM recently sold off their biggest Euro asset to the PCA Group, and now only have the Asian Chevys, or Daewoos as it were. Do you really think either the US government or the EU will change their import and VAT policies, just so that GM can sell 2000 extra cars per year in Europe? The EU doesn't even like the car just because what it represents. With the eco craze the EU is on, do you seriously think they want to help GM so that they can sell a few more Corvettes? Not in a million years. That car represents everything the EU does not want.

And before saying crap like me running while playing the victim, you might want to take a long hard look at yourself. Nobody can say anything to you or tell you anything without you take offens or making it about you being put down.

And just so we are clear. I'm not the victim and nor do I want anyone to view me as one. This is by my own admission. I'm leaving this utterly ridiculous argument with you, because one of us has to stop this nonsense. That has f all to do with being a victim, but everything to do with just knowing when to say enough is enough.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My dad can beat up your dad...

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I explained to you what I mean, and I never said you made the comparison. I said it was something that was said in general. I never said that you said Porsche would be knocked off its pedestal. I said the C8 would need to do so in order to be a big success. Again, general statements you then put your spin on and take personal.
    Minor leagues? Where did I use that expression? Please show me.

Every damn time I say anything, you spin it to be me talking about you, or try to condesend to you. Trust me Jimmy, you are not that important for me to make it all about me trying to put you down. And in your elaborate attempt to make me look bad, also completely ignore the fact that I stated more than once that I like Corvettes. But I guess that does not fit with your agenda, now does it Jimmy? And apparently neither did it that your attempt to make me look ill informed about the the firing orders, as well as me not knowing a thing about the automotive industry backfied on you. You pick and choose to make YOU look like the victim! And when I finally call it quits because this crap is not going anywhere, you can't leave well enough alone and call me out for pulling cheap shots before disappearing. You must really be an insecure and sorry old sod, if the fact that someone in Europe aren't as thrilled about the C8 can get to you in that way. Can't you get it through your head that those of us who live in Europe and are part of the sports car and exotic car scene might have a bif more insight into what GM is up against? And why the hell do you take it personal that I don't think Tadge is 100% right in his assesment? That has ZERO to do with you, or your purchase.

You are pissed off because not all of us agree and don't hold your pride and joy in as high regard as you do.

And while we are on the subject of ******** condesending comments. Euro dealers needing the US more than GM needs Europe?! How ****ing self-endulgent and arrogant is that statement? We are talking about GM trying to open up the Corvette to the European market. Who needs who in that context? Well GM very much needs Europe. And I think it is safe to say that Ford and FCA would hate to lose the Euro market if we are talking brand value across the sea. The US manufactures matters to the EU and the EU manufactures matter to the US. Do you seriously think it would only hurt the EU if Daimler-Benz, BMW, and VAG shut down their US operation? Get over yourself Jimmy.
    GM is trying to establish a small niche in Europe, not a major implement. GM recently sold off their biggest Euro asset to the PCA Group, and now only have the Asian Chevys, or Daewoos as it were. Do you really think either the US government or the EU will change their import and VAT policies, just so that GM can sell 2000 extra cars per year in Europe? The EU doesn't even like the car just because what it represents. With the eco craze the EU is on, do you seriously think they want to help GM so that they can sell a few more Corvettes? Not in a million years. That car represents everything the EU does not want.

And before saying crap like me running while playing the victim, you might want to take a long hard look at yourself. Nobody can say anything to you or tell you anything without you take offens or making it about you being put down.

And just so we are clear. I'm not the victim and nor do I want anyone to view me as one. This is by my own admission. I'm leaving this utterly ridiculous argument with you, because one of us has to stop this nonsense. That has f all to do with being a victim, but everything to do with just knowing when to say enough is enough.

14. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not that I want keep reading this back and forth but if jimmy responds to this latest post, he hits 1000 posts!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    How would you compare the Corvette to the 765? I can only buy one. But which one. I would consider a Pista since it would offer the most prestige which of course would not be the case with the C8. I will not consider a Lamborghini since I like fast cars and the member who has turned this thread into a complete tedious bore claims " Speed kills. Buy a Lamborghini and live forever. " I know he claims that he is totally impartial and objective when it comes to super cars but he incessantly criticizes Mclaren, Lamborghini and preys at the alter of Ferrari. Any way, too many decisions to make.

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    Easy.
    If you're secure, buy whatever you want.
    If you're not, well, you know that answer...

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Jesus, you're exhausting. You know what you wrote, I know what you wrote, I am way too old to look for hidden meanings in things.
    You may now have the last word...

Coincid likes this.
  18. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    Isn't this backward? The top one is Ferrari's numbering and the bottom one is Ford's numbering?

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Problem is that Ferrari has changed the numbering over the years. Some have parallel numbers, the 360 for example, where others have a horseshoe pattern.

Normally Ford uses a parallel system, but the info I have shows a horseshoe pattern.

I did make a mistake though. If the numbers are parallel, the firing order is 18364527.

If the numbers are in a horseshoe configuration, it is 15374826. This goes for Ford flat plane, Porsche 918, some Ferraris, and McLsren.

At any rate, the firing patterns are identical, and even if there are flat plane V8's out the with a slight change, they have one thing in common. They are ALWAYS even fire engines. That's just how the layout is. The companion cylinders do not allow for an odd-fire pattern.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hmmmm. Good question. I'd say a Pista is for poseurs. A 765 is only for rich *******s. The C8 is what you want.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Good advice my friend. You have saved me a bag full of cash that I can now spend on hookers, gambling and travelling to exotic locals like Las Vegas and indulge in all you can eat buffets.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Crazy Horse has a good weekday buffet. Kill two birds with one stone.

Coincid likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I can live without the gambling.

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ash Patel and Napoli like this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One of the best features of the Corvette, was the fact that it was the Harley Davidson of cars. Not meaning that it drove like crap or always broke down, but rather that it was so easy to wrench on, modify, and change. Two Cjrvettes were never the same, because there was a slew of aftermarket components available, and the garage guys could do all kinds of small to big engine mods. All that is gone with the C8, and that's a shame. The Corvette was never trying to be an exotic or European sports car. As much better as it is now with its centre mounted engine, dct, and so on, I suspect that GM has lost a significant part of their buyers. Even with the base model that just has the little LT2, it is not that easy to mod. If you want to put a Whipple on it or a Procharger, you are looking at a much more complicated task, and that's before you start plumbing for a heat exchanger for the intercooler. And while the 4l80e, 6l90e, and 8l90e were easy to send to Hughes, ATI, Jakes etc. fir mods to handle the power, you are pretty much stuck with the stock 8 speed Getrag units.

So as an engine guy here too, that's one thing about the C8 that completely turns me off.

It's a different car.