Difference in service difficulty between 360 coupe and spiders? | FerrariChat

Difference in service difficulty between 360 coupe and spiders?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jaymac, Sep 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    Hello all,
    I’ve been watching the market and hunting for my first F car for some time now, and as I’m getting closer to jumping in, I’m wondering, as I weigh the pros and cons of coupe vs spider, what are the biggest considerations for maintenance items between the two?
    Specifically, I’m a DIY guy. I always acknowledge my limits, but I do everything I can by myself to the extent of my abilities and equipment. That said, I know the construction of the spiders makes some things more challenging. Off the top of my head, fuel pumps? Is access for timing belts obstructed? Obviously any work involved with the top and components itself.
    anything else major or minor I should consider, specifically related to the ability to DIY anything I can expect to encounter as ongoing maintenance, that will be made more difficult by virtue of being a spider?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Spiders 2001-1/2 forward have an access panel for the fuel pumps.

The top mechanism often malfunctions due to failing components but these are very diy so not really an issue for the diy guy.

The coupes are great but nothing like cruising with the top down.

Gated 360 Spider in Azzurro California / Crema
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I’ll add that the top does not get in the way for timing belt changes. Spiders have the same access panel behind the seats. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Jaymac

Jaymac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Jeremy McCurdy
    EastMemphis, that’s too funny; the Spider I’m considering is the exact same color combo as yours! Any idea what the production numbers were for the Azzurro California’s?
    And Need4Spd, thanks for that info. I was concerned about the available space to access Cyl #1 for locating TDC during belt changes, and for spark plug changes as well.

Need4Spd likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I know of one other coupe. It's a rare and quite beautiful color. When I was looking, I had the choice between a nearly identical Rosso Corsa car and it just paled to the Azzurro California. Besides, the color name is quite lyrical.

I rebuilt my capote mechanism and it works perfectly. I used to be afraid of operating my top any place but inside my garage. Now, I'll do it anywhere. I even cycled the top at a Porsche Club meet a few months back. That took guts. Maybe six guys videoing me do it. Would have really been a laugh if it malfunctioned but it worked perfectly like I knew it would.

I wrote up an article on replacing the elastics.

https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/09/capote-elastic-bands-and-more.html

6. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Minimal difference. Get the car you want!

/

Jaymac likes this.
  7. B1ff

B1ff Rookie

Jan 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Perhaps if you need to change the wind blockers the spider can be “more fun”.

Jaymac likes this.
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Spiders are harder to do cam timing on. Access is reduced.

Jaymac likes this.
  9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Spiders are worth it......

10. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    back in 2012 when I was looking for a 360 I came across Azzurro California F1 spider in Brisbane QLD. One-owner low-mileage car. The owner, a retired doctor, was toying with the idea of upgrading to another Ferrari, but asking crazy money for his car so wasn't really serious about selling it. So there are a few Azzuro Cali cars around :)

11. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I believe access to the headers is slightly restricted due to having to disconnect the alternator if one wants to uninstall/reinstall headers. But that is not something i see people addressing more than once.

12. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    The alternator sits almost below the engine. I can't comprehend how a coupe or spider would be different in that area

13. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    If I recall correctly its near the belts and up against the firewall where the spiders have less space anyway due to the mechanism. I know the P/S pump is in a different location on the spider due to space constraints in that area. I believe normal guy supercar had to disconnect the alternator to install headers on a spider, not sure if a coupe has the same space issue.

14. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I have a spider and I changed my headers. The alternator is at the lower area of the engine on passenger side. You can easily access from the panel, but also need to access from below

Sent from my SM-G781W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EastMemphis likes this.