Maserati MC20 | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Compared to Ferrari, the number of colors offered for the MC20 is very poor!

TheMayor likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Beautiful in this color

boralogist likes this.
  3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not so much the interior but I don't like dead gray interiors. I'd bet that the leather color from Bora #1044 would look spectacular in that anthracite color. Perhaps a bit too wild for some though. I suppose once they get rolling with production there will be more customizing available.

Who was in charge of picking these early colors????? The selections should be knocking the ball out of the park. They aren't.

6. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
    The exterior gray color looks most beautiful in the photos and is also the cheapest. In reality the matte white color is the most beautiful

7. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Color selection and how body shape interacts is a funny thing. I once asked Tom Tjaarda about this as he's the only designer of some international repute that I've had access to. He was a hell of a nice guy as well. I couldn't get an explanation that yield an ah hah! moment for me.

But once observation with is car that I've noted is that there is so much dark area in the car that these areas tend to break up the flow of the body sculpture. I think that makes it less beautiful over all. For some it makes the car more aggressive looking which they like. With the anthracite there's far less contrast and the beauty of the overall shape is enhanced.

9. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Simply STUNNING:)

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    spent a lot of time with Tom over the years, when discussing colors, he had told me that that Pininfarina had always felt that Silver showed the lines of a car better than any other color. I never thought to ask if it was Sergio or his father Battista as he was still alive when Tom worked for Pinifarina.

11. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    There is something about the Bora, even these many years later, when done in certain colors that makes it both elegant and aggressive at the same time. No other mid-engine car of it's era did it. Giugiaro is still one of the giants of the 20th century when it comes to design

staatsof likes this.
  12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Given the current competitors the MC20 is very similar today to the Bora vs its competitors in period

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I guess? I'm not sure enough of them have been driven yet to really know.

Very different times in history. The competition in this sort of sector is incredibly tough as there are a ton of options, far more than in 1971.
    In todays urban environment where can you really drive such cars?
    I guess it's all about bragging rights for most.

14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    IMO there is one and only one test for the MC20; whether it wins the Le Mans 24 hrs or not. It wins and the rest is history. If like the Bora and the MC12 she never even gets to start due to another f-up, she will never get the recognition she deserves!

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Don`t agree with you here! While the Bora did not get anything, the MC12 won everything....beside Le Mans. The MC12 is by far the most successful race car in the history of Maserati!

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hmmm...I don`t think so. The V6 alone gives the MC20 a huge distance to the Bora which was clearly not build to become a race car. The MC20 has all the necessary genes to be developed to race cars specs - same strategy as was used with the MC12.

The Bora was a very distinctive cruiser - the MC12 can cruise, yes, but was can also much different things...

17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #542 boralogist, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Agreed.
    Yet a single Le Mans 24 hrs win simply generates the kind of global publicity that catapults you to a different league.

Anyway, I was trying to point out something different, namely:
    '...Maserati announced the MC12’s creation to commemorate its 90th anniversary. Target: Le Mans 2005.
    From there things get strange. The MC12 (for Maserati Corse V12) was ready to roll...The FIA GT Championship quickly approved the car for racing once 25 homologating road cars were built, but sanctioning body ACO wouldn’t approve the MC12 for Le Mans. Neither side has offered a satisfactory explanation as to why Maserati might build a Le Mans car that did not meet Le Mans rules.'

Just worried that they will somehow manage to pull a similar stunt w/the MC20.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's a black one on the streets. This car looks awesome

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Both, the ACO and also Maserati was too proud to find a compromise in 2005.
    But fact is, that an MC20 (in race specification!) could -best!- only fetch a class win in LM today, nuttin` mo`under the current ACO-regulations.

boralogist likes this.
  20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Walter, my reference to the MC20 being like the Bora is the fact that both cars are more understated in design than it’s over the top look at me competitors. Like the Bora the MC20 is not the most powerful but apparently is more refined and usable than its competitors.

22. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Who are the MC20’s competitors? If it’s a GT, then certainly the 992 Turbo is a prime competitor and and the MC20 won’t be nearly as refined or usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbaeumer likes this.
  23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm not sure that can be said just yet. I think we'll need a lot more real world experience with it first.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Its somehow strange to hear that Maserati (and this Gentleman) refers to the "famous Maserati blue"! Well, blue was NEVER the offical maserati color. And referring to the 1950s, it was "Maserati RossoCorsa" a bright red-orange! And while Ferrari would always offer their historic colors to customers on their new or current models, Maserati offeres ...nuttin`like that or something that was made "famous" in the last 20 years by their marketing division.....

TheMayor likes this.
  25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don’t care what anyone or what Maserati says.

this is what the Alfa 4c should have been.