575 Horn Volume | FerrariChat

575 Horn Volume

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Joel Delman, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Hi All,

So after getting cut off by a rude Dodge Challenger on the 10 the other day, I find the volume of my 575's horn somewhat lacking. My mechanic says they all came that way, though I've never heard another to compare.

Has anyone else been dissatisfied with the volume, or tone, of their horn? Anyone made a modification that still sounds "italian"?

Best,

Joel

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    F456M and Joel Delman like this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 Ferrari55whoa, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    I know this is ridiculous but both my ‘69 bronco and my track ‘00 Miata have “ferrari sound” air horns (dual trumpets and a little compressor).

Joel Delman likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Check your compressor (may need oil) and hose connection to the trumpets. Mine is loud enough.

Joel Delman likes this.
  5. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Thanks, I'll take a look at those potential issues

6. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    when I first got my 550 had similar horn response, turned out one of the hoses (clear tygon) had slipped off the horn body and was just blowing air into the wind.
    Check connections.

Joel Delman likes this.
  7. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Going to do that this weekend thanks!

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Even my modern Lusso has an Italian sound to the horn.
    Not dissimilar to my older Italian cars.
    I guess they don’t want the sound to be too aggressive, given that the average Italian will, on average, use his horn about 800 times a day.

308 GTB likes this.
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I totally agree with you. The horn is way to weak. The best horn I have had was on my 1991 Maserati 222 4v. It blew cars off the road and could give old women a heart attack! Best Italian sound!

Joel Delman and 308 GTB like this.
  10. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    On the 456, those hose connections to the horns are buried up inside the front underskirt. The compressor is easy to get to, the horns not so much. There is one hose down from the compressor to a splitter where a hose goes off to each of the horns. Faults are usually at the splitter. Don't know the layout in a 575 yet (soon to learn with having just purchased one) but trace the hose and find the splitter.

11. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    I found the attachment of the hose to the horn to be just under the headlamp, I was able to get my hand down there and feel my way to attaching it to the horn.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    My 575 horn works as it should. It sounds musical and a bit comical. But then 575 drivers were not supposed to use their horns. Just a little shoo wave with their fingers and a raised eyebrow would suffice.

Joel Delman, F456M and papou like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Comical is the right word for it. Perfect when you want to say HI in the kind way. But when you need to have a powerful horn, I find them to be insufficient.

Joel Delman likes this.
  14. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I work for a company designing superyachts. We once had a costumer who insisted to have the most powerful horn possible. We advised against this but installed a huge 146dB horn from a supertanker including dedicated 35 Bar compressed air system to power it. Years later we spoke to the captain of this yacht who told us he'd never used the horn even when he should have, as he felt so embarrassed to wake up everyone within a 10 mile radius with his shiny yacht.

Getting attention is what you need, not causing heart attacks. IMO a GT Ferrari, like a superyacht, should show some modesty in this respect. Saying HI in the kind way.
    Having said that, my 456 could use a few more dBs as well.

Joel Delman likes this.