Oil Drain Plug Problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oil Drain Plug Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Glassman, Aug 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    I'll just say be VERY careful you keep to the recommended torque or close to it when re-fitting the plug. Couple of years ago I over torqued mine and there was a creak as I did so - didn't really take any notice but a few mins later it was leaking and a crack in the casting from thread outwards about 1 1/2' was the reason. Changing that part was the biggest PITA and I was lucky to get a replacement at all at that time....

Just my 2 cents....

Mark

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Anyone using a better washer than the copper that seems to need a lot of torque to seal? How about the hollow copper crush washers, or as a poster noted an aluminum crush washer. Bel metric has a bunch of different washers.

https://www.belmetric.com/drain-plugs-and-gaskets-c-11/?zenid=aiousa9t8oleuejv0s6c467c51

What about the red or green fibre washers, or as I note the hollow copper ones? The Dowty ones, I have seen some of those on off road ATV's, they must seal ok isn these rougher applications? Since there are many types, and OEM's use different types, what is the engineering logic to use one verses another?

Never in Fchat have I heard any of the experts use anything other than the old style copper washer, and all the talk about annealing old ones, you probably use more propane torch fuel to heat the things than a new one costs. Do the pros use the old style out of routine, and they are cheap and available, or has time moved on and better washers are now more suitable, and take down the risk of stripping while still sealing?

3. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I use the factory copper washers on all of my cars and never have a leak, They are always tighten by feel which is somtimes less than the factory torque spec. They are typically designed so that if they are over torqued, that the plug (softer metal) is sacraficed (easily replacable) and not the thead in the sump.

4. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    "They are typically designed so that if they are over torqued, that the plug (softer metal) is sacraficed.."

Yes that's what I thought but my over doing it was definitely the cause of the crack in the sump. Drain plug was fine and it was a new washer. Just over zealous.

Mark

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    right answer

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Not in my 458 but in other cars I have used the old crush-type gaskets you used to see on spark plugs; I have also used USIT rings, which is basically a flat rubber gasket molded onto a steel washer, which limits the compression of the gasket (more suitable for low-pressure fuel-system fittings)

7. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    this is the correct answer

absostone likes this.