FIM radiator and Radiator caps - 250 inside plug motor | FerrariChat

FIM radiator and Radiator caps - 250 inside plug motor

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ive been doing some light service on the Ellena car and discovered my Rad cap was not sealing well enough.

Seems upon investigation, the cap - from the rubber seal to the stainless ring inside the cap was not long enough to provide a good seal to build any pressure, or hold pressure.

Further investigation on various caps of that period (late 50's) it seems there are various lengths due to the radiator cap mounting housing on the radiator.

SO, couple of questions to the inside plug 250 experts - :)

What is the correct pressure rating that would be used for this engine and what cap is appropriate for this application, keeping in mind the length needed to properly seal.

Appreciate the thoughts and advise on this .

2. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear Ed,

might be worth a try to ask Vern Lyon of GTO in UK as they have purchased FIM as far as I understood and have the technical drawings and info material.

Christopher

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Christopher,

yes sir, i do have an email into him to get their perspective.......ill report back

christc likes this.
  4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It seems the inside plug engines are not too robust enough due to the head gaskets to deal with much pressure - so the 4 - 7 pounds is the recommended
    radiator pressure - thus a .3-.7 bars cap is appropriate. More to follow.....

readplays likes this.
  5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Hi Ed, I believe 0.5 bar is around 7 psi; 0.7 bar is around 10 psi - a bit high for the recommendation. Suggest 0.3 - 0.5 cap rating.

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes correct u are- thank u