575M Badging | FerrariChat

575M Badging

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Laserguru, Sep 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    While conducting my search for a 575, I of course noticed that some cars have a chrome 575M badge on the right side of the trunk lid and others are unbadged. I'm not sure what the rule is for which cars came with or without. Seemed later cars were more frequently badged and earlier cars were not. The car I've bought is a mid-year '02 and is unbadged. Was there some other criteria I missed while doing my shopping assessments? I enjoy the minutia of the brand and wouldn't be surprised if there is some convoluted story behind this, or if it is entirely mundane.

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Eric,

The badge came later on in production. Terry knows when.

Barry

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Cool detail.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Summer 2003.

5. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    Part No. is 67966200

Just spotted one on eBay..

Self-adhesive.

Not sure if they come with a template or other advice on the preferred fixing location, but it can make my teeth itch if I see one that appears to be fitted in the ‘wrong’ position!

F456M likes this.
  6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Any idea why they decided it needed a model designation badge?

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Was it none before a specific assembly # and all after that? During my search, it seemed spotty and almost random with a tendency toward a before and after breakline but not absolute. I could easily be wrong on that.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- No information in the parts catalogs about what assembly number or I would have put it in my changes document. Somewhere in the 134xxx serial range from what I have seen, AN 51xxx and well before the chrome grille became standard. Here is 134042, AN 51244 as an example. The first chrome grilles I see (they were optional earlier) are around 515xx. Note, though that this Euro 575M 134423, AN 51539 does not have the 575M emblem and still has a black grille. May also have been different timeframes for US and Euro 575Ms.

I could be off a bit, too, since I do not have both front and rear photos of most of the 575Ms in my files.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

docapl and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As always, interesting info. The car I bought is VIN 128894, AN 45973. No badging, chrome grill (not listed as an option on the window sticker) so may have been added later. Window sticker lists FHP, Carbon interior trim, Daytona seats (red inserts), red stitching, shields, rear shelf leather, high power HiFi w/ sub-woofer, and sat nav appliance.
    Just a quick look at 575s on Autotrader now will show an '02 with badging and an '05 without. Seems to be no particular pattern that I could discern. Maybe a buyer's choice on ordering or a dealers choice or just whether Antonio in the factory decides to use a badge today. I'm happy enough without but it does seem to be a curiousity with the 575 model. I don't know of any other car brand or even Ferrari model with such a cavalier approach to badging. I don't even have the car yet (having belts, tensioners, and water pump done) and it bemuses me.

F456M likes this.
  10. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Eric I have a Rosso Corsa/Nero car 891 just a few cars before yours. Think you will find that many early car owners have added the 575 emblem. I purchased the emblems to add but chose not to. Several times in the last ten years the question has been asked which model is it. Suspect something like this may have lead to the badging.
    Bill
    FL

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think I'm with you, Bill. The car looks cleaner without the badging. I'm just being curious as the badging on this model is spotty, sketchy, inconsistent, seemingly disconnect by year, manufacturing date......all typical Ferrari that we love. :)

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Early cars definitely did not have the badge, but while today nobody would care it could have been popular to align with newly produced models when it was introduced.

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    My 2003 came with 3 575M badges added by the PO. Rear deck and sides under the shields. They were removed before I took delivery :)

F456M likes this.
  14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Under the shields is a new one. Pretty sure those would come right off as you did.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I like the badges, but then they were standard on mine, just like the chrome grille.

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Badge looks good. Personally, I prefer it without.

17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your car is an '04? (Going by memory which is none too trustworthy....)

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative.

19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So yours came with the rear badge. You wrote badges, as in plural. Are there more than the rear? Above, dsd indicated his car had side badges under the shields. He believed they were put on by the previous owner. Is there more to this story? I grow more intrigued, this is such classic Ferrari stuff. BTW, Terry, I'm likely to while away the long, dark, cold New Hampshire winter putting together a register for the 575s similar to my 456M register. Would you care to pitch in with data? Your options available and configurations correlated with VINs and ANs is unmatched as far as I know.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Badges as in my badge and other 575M's badges.

All my data is in the small data base I used to build the changes document. After that, I lost interest. 272 updates were enough for me.

Can tell you something about every Fokker triplane, though.

Attached Files:

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  21. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thank you, Terry. I truly can understand the time and tedium that goes into constructing these things and trying to maintain and update them. Your files greatly appreciated.

And that is a trip that you have a complete data base on Fokker triplanes. Very cool. I imagine that there is a community that appreciates that data even more!!

Eric

22. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    docapl and white out like this.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee