What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 25 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not my favorite of the orphan barrels but definitely good.

3. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry it was a crap day. We did homemade pizza and dark & stormies last night to cap off probably my worst drill weekend in my entire career. One of my long-time friends had a seizure out of nowhere (he's okay) ironically during "self-aid and buddy care" hands-on training. Worse places for that to happen I spose.

Two of my really great linguists are leaving, one of my brilliant but lazy/unmotivated NCOs is leaving, and we're finally getting rid of our "special attention needed" NCO.

The twelve-day work week continues....looking forward to maybe a little Discovery #5 or Prisoner tonight.

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Managing people is such fun, right!?

armedferret likes this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The ones that can act like frickin grownups when they ARE such, actually yeah. It's pretty awesome.

It's the ones that can't that make me a regular poster in this thread. :D

Really just one in particular, and thankfully (sorta at least) she decided that being on my radar and the Chief's radar wasn't enough, so she'd get herself on the commander's radar too. DIDN'T WORK OUT QUITE HOW SHE'D HOPED IT WOULD.

Be done with her by end of January. My birthday's in January. I thanked the commander for helping me usher in 42 in about the best gotdang way possible.

And to be sorta on-topic, I had a lovely road-trip adventure to dad's storage unit in Iowa on the 4-day weekend over Labor Day. Took the wife's golf TDI, picked up a small UHaul trailer, and brought a few furniture items back that come from his side of the family and he was adamant I should have. (he's ok, just in assisted living and doesn't have room for all of it anymore)

28-30 mpg from Iowa to Maryland towing about 1800lbs or so. And that's probably the *WORST* mileage that car has ever had lol.

Anywho.

One of those furniture items has now assumed yet another duty in its life, but frankly it's probably my favorite duty for it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yes, that's an AK47 decanter. Yes, it's okay to be jealous. :D

(and yes, this is *JUST* the opened bottles, I keep unopened "spares" in the basement in a usually-dark room...and there's another ECBP included down thar)

Jo Sta7, paulchua, soulsea and 2 others like this.
  6. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I picked this bottle up at Costco because it was reasonably priced and I wanted something decent to base a ginger mule. The wine and liquor guy at Costco had no real insight but I figured it’s bottled in bond, made at a single distillery in Bardstown Kentucky during one distilling season, aged at least four years, 100 proof, and made by Barton 1792 (https://www.1792distillery.com/). Wow, this stuff is good. Really nice balance, deep resonance of caramel and butter. Now I regret using it as a mixer.

Pick some up and chime in but I think it’s a hell of a bargain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AtomicPunk88, armedferret and NbyNW like this.
  7. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Been really enjoying the Old Forester 1897 BiB lately. Very tasty and drinkable stuff.

armedferret likes this.
  8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you haven't given Statesman a try, I really enjoy that one too. 1920 is great for a really strong cocktail. Pretty stout on its own but quite delicious. Statesman is a far easier drinker though at least for me.

GatorFL and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  9. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    armedferret, AtomicPunk88 and gh0st0 like this.
  10. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    soulsea and NbyNW like this.
  11. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Spill the beans - where are you and do you have another bottle (yeah, the bottle question is a dumb one, I hope).

13. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I ran into one up in Delaware a few weeks back. Wasn't really in the mood, they had ECBP for a *LOT* cheaper than in MD. ;)

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Delaware is definitely cheaper!

I quoted @soulsea for the track pic and where he was. Brings back memories.

armedferret likes this.
  15. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hell if it's EC Rye you want, I'm happy to oblige. ;)

16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I’m at VIR for a two day WRL endurance race driving a GT4 Clubsport.

That is, or as it stands was, my racing bourbon. :)

armedferret likes this.
  17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Fantastic track, many track days and good times there. Enjoy it.

soulsea likes this.
  18. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Good day today ... reloaded on some mezcal, got the fall 21 release of Old Fitz, and a couple of this year's Yellowstone 101 release.

Included in the pic is the Thomas S Moore cabernet cask bourbon released last year. It is one of a trilogy that also includes a chardonnay cask and a port cask. This cab cask pictured above is very good but not particularly noteworthy, certainly not something that I ever need to buy again. The chardonnay cask was barely tolerable to me ... one of my least favorite whiskeys ever. Not only was it underwhelming and bland but it was also buttery. When I say buttery I don't mean just in texture, I mean it tasted like dropped a stick of actual butter in it. I forced myself to finish it with great resentment. Hopefully the port cask will be the best of the three cause so far all I've experienced in bleh and meh with the first two. :)

19. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Been lookin for the Yellowstone. Got a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to see it in this cursed land lol.

soulsea likes this.
  20. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Nice haul. Hoping to pick up some of that Old Fitz soon.

soulsea likes this.
  21. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Even though it's Full Proof Friday I would be remiss if I didn't crack this bad boy and raise the neck pour to @soulsea with immense gratitude for taking the time to go get it for me and send it off. Sir THANK YOU!! Gentleman's gentleman.

Also there may be a small token of appreciation heading your way in the mail tomorrow. ;)

GatorFL, gh0st0, NbyNW and 1 other person like this.
  22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Bottles I don’t like we cook with it. Add to bbq sauce, etc. Not everything is a winner but there are options.

armedferret likes this.
  23. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

^ I’m out west so need to look for that Yellowstone.

armedferret likes this.
  24. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA