New Jaguar D Type book. | FerrariChat

New Jaguar D Type book.

Discussion in 'British' started by piloti, Sep 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    ““XKD 603 “Through the Lens of Time” The Storied Journey of a D-Type Jaguar” by Clive Beecham.

Just had the privilege of picking up this fabulous new book. Although I am fundamentally a Ferrari man (as many of you know) I really love all the classic 1950s and ‘60s sports racing cars – Astons, Jags, Maseratis etc. and I know many of you are the same. So this new title caught my attention and it does not disappoint.

It’s basically the story of one D-Type but the story is well told, and full of fantastic photos; not just your usual racing fodder but detail, unusual, interesting photos with a good amount of ‘50s colour as well. It really captures the racing of the ‘50s. Along with the racing photos there is also lots of interesting and relevant memorabilia, including “The Works Book” which offers a fascinating insight into the every day life of a working race car. There is also input from those who raced, worked and owned XKD 603. This really is a delight!

340 pages, over 250 colour and 150 b/w photos. There are only 603 standard copies, and 100 deluxe copies with a really cool slip-case.
    Nathan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

lgs, readplays, colombo2cam and 6 others like this.
  2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Congrats to Clive for completing this, looks like quite an achievement.

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, great book! But I don`t see the Ferrari 315S as a competitor here! Ferrari 750 Monza, Mercedes SLR and Maserati 300S were more in that league. Ferrari 315S (and Maserati 450S) steamrolled every D-Type!

F1tommy likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Unless they broke down.

5. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I don't think you've actually seen the book? The book shows about 6 or 7 competitors over the years 1956-1959 including Maseratis and Aston Martins as well other Ferraris.
    Nathan

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I too ordered and bought the book through Chaters last week and received it the next day in perfect condition with high quality cover and wonderfully lustrous 200 gsm paper.

As Nathan above has said, it's about one D Type, XKD 603, one of the world's greatest, most successful and original racing cars from the 1950s and its fantastic full 4 year racing career at the very top level, from being a Jaguar Works car in 1956, then passing to Ecurie Ecosse from 1957 through to 1959 and then with its 5 owners after its period racing career to the present time.

The D Type for me has been a mythical and legendary car since I was a very young boy in the 1960s. My father was a car fanatic and he would speak about cars such as Jaguar's D Type and Bluebird, years before telling me about Ferraris. With that amazing rear fin and beautifully curvaceous body, the D Type was a wondrous thing to me in my formative years of a magnitude like the NASA Apollo 11 Saturn V Space Rocket and Concorde were.

The author of XKD 603 'Through the Lens of Time' The Storied Journey of a D Type Jaguar, the car's owner Clive Beecham, has thoroughly researched the full history of "603" from its beginning, and has shared her with many genuine car enthusiasts along his journey with her, reuniting people with her such as Aussie Jaguar works mechanic Ron Gaudion and time keeper Hugh Langrishe from the car's period racing history who contribute to the book.

The book contains many previously unpublished pictures by the World's greatest photographers, pieces by Michael Quinn, the grandson of Jaguar's founder Sir William Lyons, covers all of its 19 races including its 4 races at Le Mans (2nd in 1957) with images of 603's Factory Works Book detailing what the factory did to the car, information on all its drivers, 7 of whom were Le Mans winners from its period racing history, some interesting and amusing stories by Innes Ireland and Masten Gregory of whom there is a great close up picture, how it was wrongfully sold as the 1957 Le Mans winner by David Murray of Ecurie Ecosse to its first owner in America after its period racing career.

Among others such as former Jaguar Designer Ian Callum, there are very interesting and humorous interviews with Lord Bamford, owner of "603" for 36 years and Willie Green, who raced "603" in historic racing in Bamford's ownership from 1973, who gives an insightful comparison between the D Type and its period competitors, as does Gregor Fisken in his excellent contribution to the book. Pleasingly revealing to me was how the book helped me understand why the D Type was such a focused and successful Le Mans weapon, but not so good at other tracks such as the Nurburgring. There is also a chapter by engineer David Brazell, who has looked after the car for around 25 years, where he guides us around the wonderful originality and details of the car.

The book is soulful and very well written by all its contributors and the modern photography of the latter sections is wonderful. Of course there is much more to the book than I have written above. It's a beautiful book that fans of the D and its period competitors, of which there are well over 25 full page period Ferrari portraits, many I've never seen before (hence my posting on Fchat), will certainly take great pleasure in reading and viewing, as I have.

Highly recommended.

wbaeumer, piloti, BMWairhead and 2 others like this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I am sure it is a very fine book, I had lunch with Clive at the Belgian Zoute concours in 2018 and it was very interesting to listen to his tales and knowledge, he was very helpful for my Sebring & Thomas crown 275 Nart Spyder article since he owned another Nart spyder years ago. He also instigated the 166 Touring reunion in Italy which was a superb event. He had the D Type at Zoute and it reeked originality, I wish I had looked at it more in depth but was busy.

readplays, clive beecham and miurasv like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Clive's Ferrari Touring Tour in 2017 was most probably the single best Ferrari event EVER, at least for me, and I have attended more than 1'000 Ferrari-related events in the last 45 years.
    Simply unforgettable and fantastic memories.

Marcel Massini

Nembo1777 likes this.