355 Shock Actuator Same as Corvette FX3? | FerrariChat

355 Shock Actuator Same as Corvette FX3?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Tangospell, Sep 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tangospell

Tangospell Rookie

Nov 20, 2007
    Brentwood, West L.A.
    My mechanic tested and I have two bad shock actuators (the warning light is on in my dash). My plan is to send them to Captain Z. Maybe send all four actuators while I'm at it. I was wondering, though, if the Corvette actuator is the same as the Ferrari one. In photos online, they look the same. And you can buy a new Corvette actuator for about $200. Anyone ever check to see if the Corvette actuator would work on a 355? Thanks!

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I would contact Captain Z @ferraridriver . I believe they look the same but dont function the same.

3. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Agree with ShineKen, ask Captain Z. I also have a bad actuator (finally a solid warning light after autox this weekend) and am sending it to him... while ordering a spare. They aren't cheap. Best prices I could find right now were at eurospares.

ShineKen likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm pretty sure that Corvette ones are different (excluding some of the internals). Looking at online photos of Corvette actuators and blurry wiring diagrams, the Corvette actuators don't seem to have enough wires. The Ferrari actuators have 6 wires. The Corvette, 5 wires.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Also, the Corvette actuator leads seem to come in different lengths, and, of course, they are the wrong colours.

Are the 1995 Corvette actuators still available (new)?

5. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
  6. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    IIRC the Corvette FX3 has 3 modes, and the F355 has two. That may be the reason for the extra wire.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    This is correct, three modes.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    More modes, less wires?

On the F355, there seems to be two wires for the motor and 4 wires for the internal sensor/electronics.

10. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Corvette has 3 modes. Each mode has 3 levels of stiffness based on speed. The 3 levels in each mode are automatic. 9- settings in total

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some Corvette actuators will work in a Ferrari, I believe it's the actuators with a "Techniku" label that are the ones with two Hall Effect sensors but only one wired.
    I know that those without the Techniku only have one sensor.
    See this post:
    Corvette Shock Actuators will work | FerrariChat

For more info on actuator faults and how to repair see this post:
    Shock Actuators | FerrariChat
    Most shock actuator faults are in the "Transmission" (gear train) bottom half of the actuator so it is always possible to mate a good Corvette bottom half with a Ferrari motor section. I've done that several times, all of the actuators in my 550 were modified Corvette actuators.

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I'd just have yours fixed by captain Z

I have some old 90 Corvette ZR-1 actuators but I never tested then to see if they work on the 355.

308 GTB likes this.
  13. Tangospell

Tangospell Rookie

Nov 20, 2007
    Brentwood, West L.A.
    I'm the guy who asked if Corvette actuators would work in a 355. Answer basically seems that they don't. I wound up using Captain Z. Awesome experience with them: they rebuilt all four actuators and supplied four new gears for shock shafts, all for less than the cost of one new actuator. Very nice people to deal with, too.

Qavion, MAD828 and ShineKen like this.