Modena Ristorante coming to West Cobb! | FerrariChat

Modena Ristorante coming to West Cobb!

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A new Italian restaurant named Modena, and using a familiar font for their signs, is coming soon to West Cobb; they're on Barrett Pkwy just north of Dallas Hwy (GA-120).

I wonder if any of their decor will be inspired by the exotic car culture of the Modena area in Italy. I've suggested to them the idea of an all-Italian car show to help them promote their place after they're open.

https://www.facebook.com/modenaristorante/

steved033 likes this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The old Vincent's. Was wondering what they were doing with it. I could walk there.

sjd

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    looks like from their sign - they already know about Ferrari...

4. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I miss Vincent's. We used to go there often when the original family owned it. After they sold it it started going downhill. The last 6 months were pretty bad.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The last time I went, the food was fine but the service was dreadful.

6. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    For sure. We became friends with the manager over the years and she comped our dinner twice because the service was so bad and they screwed up Carol’s order.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Modena is now open on their "soft opening"; no word as to when the official grand opening will be. Their website is still under construction but their Facebook page is up and it shows the menu: https://www.facebook.com/modenaristorante.

They are open Wednesday thru Sunday for dinner only and at the moment, require reservations at https://resy.com/cities/mrtt/modena-ristorante-vinoteca.

On Google, so far they have 13 five-star ratings and 1 one-star rating, the latter from a party that objected to the high prices. The prices are rather high, but the other reviews attest to the quality of food and service, so as long as that's what you expect, the prices should not be a problem. I plan to go there once I have my car back from the shop, and I've suggested to them the idea of an Italian car show to drum up publicity. Of course, it should be an ideal place for an FCA dinner if you don't mind driving to west Cobb.

If any of you go there, please add a review to this thread!

steved033 likes this.
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #8 steved033, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Nice!!! I'll have to call and see if they do take away.

sjd

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have to say the Menu is not very Modenese.... or at all.

Dai Baracca and tazz99 like this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Girl at work said she went. Says it's solid. FB reviews have been good so far.

sjd

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I finally made it there tonight and had a very nice meal. The place has been substantially re-done from the way it looked as Vincent's, though it seemed a bit noisy for an upscale place. I didn't have a reservation, since their service doesn't cover solo diners, but considering the size of the bar, and another counter-seating area by the pizza oven, I shouldn't have trouble getting seated. Tonight was not super busy so I was able to get a small table.

Service was fine all evening; my only comment is that the water (which is all that I drank) should have been colder. But my glass was kept full and that was okay. The menu was similar to that shown on the Facebook page. I started with the Insalata Rucola e Parmigiana, a nicely presented arugula salad with shaved cheese and an interesting olive-oil based dressing; it was served with some fresh bread and an olive-oil dip. Then I had the Saccottini Linda, consisting of pasta purses filled with veal, beef & cheese in a cream sauce with truffles, mushrooms and pancetta. (It was listed on the menu as Ravioli Linda, but when I mentioned the Facebook menu to my server, he noted that they currently had saccottini, which is often hard to come by. The dish would have been fine either way, but the purses were more interesting. If you want this dish, ask if they have saccottini.)

The bill came to $33, which may seem high for just a salad and a pasta dish, but this is listed as a "premium" place. The reviews online have been universally excellent (aside from a few complaints about the prices) and everyone around me seemed to be enjoying their meals. I chatted with Andrew, one of the co-owners, and while I had a bit of trouble hearing him over the ambient noise, I believe he said that he has lived in Modena and owns a 1988 Mondial, so he is one of us! I told him that I would bring my Ferrari by when the service is done and repeated my suggestion of an all-Italian car show to raise interest. He said they would have no trouble accommodating 25 people if we decide to hold an FCA dinner there, which I think we should. Meanwhile, all of you should consider heading over to west Cobb and giving Modena a try. Oh yes, the men's room has some Ferrari 3-view art prints on the walls!

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I made another dinner trip to Modena, this time with the 328. I arrived just before 6 and found a nearly-empty parking lot, so I got the space I wanted next to their big sign. It turns out that Thursday is a slow night, and with the nice weather, people were dining later. Indeed, the place filled up substantially while I was there and the lot was quite full by the time I had left. They are still insisting on seating by reservation only, though it appears that if you are dining early that may not be necessary.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The menu had changed a bit since my first visit, and the Saccottini Linda was back for good. I started with a cup of the soup of the day, which was called Zuppa Portofino (in honor of the Ferrari model?), which was basically a potato & rice soup, very tasty and nicely mellow. Then I had the Saltimbocca Andrea, made with chicken sauteed in a lemon butter sauce (rather like piccata) covered with prosciutto, mozzarella and sage and served with nicely-seasoned roasted potatoes and asparagus. It appears below along with the bread and the olive-oil bread dip. Everything was delicious and I was ultimately left with empty plates.

Service was again exemplary, though again the water wasn't cold enough, which is a very minor complaint. The prices are a bit higher than I'm used to paying so I'll be a steady but occasional customer, but I hope they continue to do well. Andrew enjoyed seeing the car and had one of his people photograph the two of us posing with it, which should appear on their Facebook page! Note that a German interloper had shown up in the interim, pointing out how large a car the modern 911 has become!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

steved033 likes this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I should point out that their pizza choices include two varieties called Enzo and Quattrovalvole! (How do you make four-valve pizza?) The wood-burning pizza oven is visible to the far left of the interior photo above.

I had mentioned that there are some patent drawings of Ferraris in the bathroom and the hallway leading to them. My apology for the bad focus on the last one, which looks like the 2020 F1 car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here is their new writeup on Facebook, which may answer some questions. Note that reservations are no longer required:

"Modena Ristorante Vinoteca is a premium casual dining spot located in the outskirts of downtown Marietta.

Inspired by numerous trips through Italy, the owners wanted to bring a modern concept to the area. Modena co-owner Andrew Kearton previously worked with Pirelli Global for 25 years, the cutting edge and quite fashionable tire company based in Milan, Italy. Andrew’s partner Maritza Padua traveled too and lived in northern Italy with Andrew for several years, which has inspired the creation of Modena Ristorante Vinoteca and its menu. Andrew and Maritza fell in love with the people of Italy, the culture and especially the food and wine.

The kitchen is led by Executive Chef Ciro Mancini who is Italian with culinary creations well rooted into northern & southern Italian dishes like risotto, seafood, beef, locally sourced vegetables, and wood-fire oven pizza. Ciro has a taste for delicately delicious veal dishes too. Modena is truly a special place where guests can watch their wood oven pizza bake while enjoying a glass of wine from an incredible selection of over 80 varieties from around the globe. Desserts will include tiramisu, limoncello cake and affogato al café, which is gelato served with espresso. Andrew and Maritza hope to make Modena a community hub for their neighborhood, where they have lived for five years.

We are located at 3412 Ernest W Barrett Pkwy NW, Marietta, GA 30064, Phone: (770) 635-8851.
    We do not require reservations but sometimes it is a good thing to do. If you would like to reserve a table, we use resy.com."

I have chatted with Andrew on both of my visits. He owns (or owned?) a Mondial, so he is well versed on Ferrari! If any of you try the place (and I hope that you do), please add your comments below.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Woah, I will definitely be trying this soon. Didn't even know it existed.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Drew Altemara likes this.
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I don't think anyone here has been to Modena or Bologna that put the menu together... that being said - it's a typical American Italian restaurant using Ferrari names... nice idea.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They are in the running in two categories for the Best of Cobb competition. If you've been there and like it (or even if you haven't!) you can vote every day through the 21st. Go to the link below and scroll down to the categories "Italian Food" and "New Local Restaurant". You will be asked for your email address the first time, but that is only to ensure that you vote only once a day; they will not ask for it again.

https://www.mdjonline.com/cobblife/bestof/#/gallery?group=404170

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I figured that the best place to commemorate Enzo Ferrari's birthday would be in a restaurant named for his hometown! Not only that, I ordered the Pizza Enzo, the first time I had tried one of their pies, baked in a brick oven. The pizza was quite good, though those who prefer a crisp crust might be disappointed with the fact that the crust in the middle was soft enough to fold the slices, New York-style. But it was good, and at 12-inches, I was able to take half the pie home for another meal. The pizza is definitely the best value on the menu.

Note that as word has spread around, the place is now busy at most times any day of the week, so making a reservation, while not required anymore, is still strongly recommended. Owner Andrew told me that last night (Saturday) was their busiest night since they had opened.

steved033 likes this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I finally tried it. It's my birthday. I ordered the Tortellacci Modenese and a Dino pizza. 30 minutes and my take away was ready.

I had a slice of the pizza and it's really really good. The crust has the flavor it should (properly proofed), it's evenly cooked, the meats are wonderful. It was bought specifically for tomorrow's lunch, but a fresh slice is always a good thing. Definitely a value at $18, I've certainly had worse pizzas for more money.

The Tortellacci are very good. The sauce is a great balance of cream, mushroom and wine. In house, with a glass of wine, there would certainly be no complaint. (At home, with a delicate re-heat, there was no complaint.)

Will this place put any of the Italian mainstays in a city of 6 million people out of business? No, but it's a welcome addition. I'm looking forward to another visit.

The Dino (not on the above menu):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sjd

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had the Tortellacci on my visit last week, eating on the patio. The dishes they use are deceiving - the portion looks too small at first glance, but the dishes are deeper than they first look and the portion sizes are just right.

We need to have a Ferrari gathering there once the weather turns consistently warm.

montegoblue and steved033 like this.
  25. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I am starting to wonder with all the postings if you are an investor or related to the owners. :)