360 Modena - timing belt - belts service - cost? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Modena - timing belt - belts service - cost?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Exotic Lambo, May 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the HP differential more than compensate for the premium...

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Even manual 360 vs manual 430? Not for me.

3. 01silver360fan

Feb 11, 2021
    Bumping this old thread to share what I was quoted for a timing belt replacement: $4400 for parts + labor to replace timing belt, tensioners, bearings and pulleys. This does NOT include replacing the valve cover gasket.

This is from an an independent shop in SF / Norcal.

It seems higher than what others are suggesting in this thread--- is inflation making its way here too? Haha..

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Labor costs more in SF/NorCal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

01silver360fan likes this.
  5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Guess Jersey is high also because average here is $5000

6. rongotti

rongotti Karting

Apr 11, 2015
    North Florida
    That's why your ass needs to get down to Florida

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

you're right and I’m coming

rongotti likes this.
  8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I disagree with this. You don't choose a 430 over a 360, or vice versa, due to service costs. Otherwise, if it is service related, don't buy a Ferrari at all.

9. priericky128

priericky128 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I had belt service done on my 360 in March and it was around $4k but also included flushing fluids, oil change, mounting tires, I supplied as well as replacing hoses to the ac compressor.

It really can range depending on what else is going on. There’s always more work you can do when a car is 15+ years old. Honestly the belts are the thing I worry about least since they are predictable.

01silver360fan likes this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Agree on variability in quotes-/ local Houston shop wants $20-15k to do mine lol. So pays to shop around.

11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I know which shop that is and I thought he was joking when he told me...totally outrageous quote for something that happens every 3-5 yrs.

12. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I bought a 430 over a 360 specifically due to the timing belt vs chain. As a DIYer I didn’t want to deal with the belt changes. I’ve done timing belt and chain replacements on a few vehicles so I know they aren’t that hard to do…just elected not to have to. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one….

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Wasn't that the shop that took the engine out of the 360 to do the service and then messed it up, on youtube ?

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm certain you aren't the only one, but point being when you get up to the 360/430, choose the one you want irrespective of maintenance cost. I would take the 430 even if it had the belt and the 360 had the chain, simply because I love that model.

AandSC likes this.
  15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    When does a 430 chain need replacement and what does that cost?

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would assume when it breaks, which it never should....but I am no expert on the chain, I will let someone who is give you the correct answer.

17. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    I've owned several RS4s (high revving V8) that utilize a timing chain. Many owners have gone 200K miles and the chain has not stretched enough to require replacement.

Obviously it is not entirely apples to apples as a comparison, but a 4.2L V-8 revving to 8250 and a 4.3L V-8 revving to 8500 should be somewhat similar.

Longevity would actually depend on tensioner and chain guide design, but the chain drive should last for the "lifetime" of the car (at least 100k miles - not many 430s over 100k miles).

18. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and want to get into a good-size project, and have (or want) a garage with decent tools, this is a great winter project that you can work on over a few weekends. Add a couple extra weekends for gasket and seals. Then a few more weekends if you find yourself re-timing the engine either because you want that extra perfection, or because you messed up. After this project you'll feel like you can do anything on your 360. I'm finding it really enjoyable to work on this car, so to me the belt change is like a bonus ritual that I'm looking forward to doing again.

one4torque likes this.