Finally… | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finally…

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, Sep 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow, what a cherry car Jon. I remember reading the story of your 2016 accident and I am so glad to hear that you are once again getting behind the wheel of a Porsche. I wish you all the best with both your health and the new car. Please give us your driving impressions once you take delivery of the car and get some time behind the wheel.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  3. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is super clean! Enter it in a concours event before you get her dirty...;)

Bullfighter likes this.
  4. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Congratulations ...I wish you the best!

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #30 4CamGT, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    I agree on the Cup1’s. They were designed by American Dick Soderberg. He was my immediate boss at Porsche. He was an incredibly talented individual. He came from Opel in 1969 with Tony Lapine, Wolfgang Mobius and Peter Reisinger. Dick’s first design job at Porsche was the body of the 908/3. He designed many Porsche race car bodies including the 935 with Norbert Singer. He led the 964 exterior design, 959 exterior design and 993 exterior design. You can see Dick in these images:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  7. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Congrats on the 964. Holt always has nice examples.

I have a 964 myself and love it!

Oengus likes this.
  8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Holt also found my 997, which has been a fantastic car. Fingers crossed I'll stumble into a 964 one of these days.

Oengus likes this.
  9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good to hear. Tim shipped my car today and sent photos. Feels like the first time all over again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s been said before, but deserves to be said again. Congratulations! Enjoy your new 964, and drive it in good health!

Bullfighter likes this.
  11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    A big Congratulations!!

I had a triple black 1993 C2 cabriolet- it still had under 30K miles when I sold it back in 2010 to buy a 360. There were fewer 92-94 911s made due to the economy and cost of these cars (mine had a $77K windowsticker price in 1993 dollars!) but I love the updates to the wheels and rearview mirrors that came in '92.

I'm looking at a scan of the window sticker from my old car- the cup 1 wheels (called the "17 inch light alloy wheel") were a $1,378 option and I was so glad the original buyer got them- the "turbo wheels" look so nice, and I always liked them more than the cup 2's on the 993 or the narrower standard but similar looking wheel for 92-94 (not that the standard 92-94 wheel is bad looking either, just not as nice as the turbo wheels..)

After a while on the dark side (360, then a 355 spider)- I was itching to get back to a classic 911 (and lower repair bills!), and this winter picked up an 89 911 cabriolet. It's like going back home- the smells [engine, interior, smell of the (feeble) A/C, smell of the heater] , feel, sounds etc brought be right back to the '87 targa I sold way back in 1999.

The 964 is a great compromise of a sports car but with modern touches that will make it perfect for you. Power assisted steering, modern HVAC (that actually cools the car when you need A/C), a larger torquier motor, more modern suspension & improved aerodynamics vs the '89 and earlier 911s, etc- but still has the classic big fenders :) Also ABS, airbags and yes an option for an automatic.

Best of luck with it, and for so many reasons I am sure you are anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

-Andrew

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Congratulations back at you on the ‘89 - I’ve driven an ‘84 and an ‘87 and the G50 gearbox is an almost mandatory upgrade, IMHO.

I followed the same logic in selecting a car this time. Sports car, analog but reasonably modern; simple but comfortable, etc. The 964 and 993 both fall into that zone - air cooled, compact, classic but not antique.

On the Ferrari or Porsche decision, the durability and service costs played a big part. I’m not overly concerned about the mileage on the Porsche - full engine rebuild likely costs the same as a Ferrari major belt service plus incidentals (dash leather, etc)

I’m looking forward to the flat six soundtrack, compact cabin, view over the fenders, etc. I’d love a long hood 911, but given the primitive a/c, rarity of the Sportomatic, and handling characteristics… probably a long shot.

13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #38 andrew911, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    I've heard that a properly set up 915 is very nice to drive- I don't want to rag on that gearbox as some people love them and have them set up correctly...My first Porsche was a used '78 targa. Very balky 1-2 upshift and 3-2 downshift. Double clutch etc didn't help much and wasn't something I wanted to do anyway. After a year or two I spent a couple thousand to get the transmission rebuilt, with new synchros etc. It was a ton of money for me at the time, and yet- it was still not smooth to drive after the rebuild. Maybe they didn't set up the transmission correctly? (It was a Porsche-only mechanic that did the rebuild). Could have just been my car, but I promised myself that when I had the money I'd upgrade to an '87-89. About a year or two out of college I was able to sell the 78 and get the 87 targa (the 87 only had 30K miles on it when I bought it in the mid 90's)- it was a really nice example and I remember I paid $22,500 and sold the '78 for $10,500. So much nicer to drive.. I sold the 87 in 1999 (@40K miles and got $26,500- drove the car for 4 years for free but of course the car would be worth much more had I kept it :) ) to make way for a 1990 convertible 6-speed corvette- after about 2 years of that, I really wanted to get a 911 again, thus the '93 964.

The 964 transmission is upgraded still from the 3.2 cars- the shift action of the 964 was accurately described in one of the period magazines as similar to the movement of a fine shotgun mechanism. The 964 had a great shift feel, but now I'm back to the older 3.2 generation and am very happy with it. It shifts very nicely, and the car has ~106K miles on it. It's also a factory wide body ("M941" option), which is very special to me. The look of it with the flares and obnoxious 80's tail is exciting to look at just like my former Ferraris were (to me anyway).

Please update us when you get your car. I’m excited for you and would love to hear what it’s like for you to finally be driving a “classic” (yet modernized just enough) sports car again!

-Andrew

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #39 andrew911, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    I meant my car has the factory M491 "turbo look" option...

I also meant to comment I think you did the right thing with an auto 964 (or auto 993 would have been great too, but I personally love the original fenders). A sportomatic would sort of scare me in 2021 if parts were ever needed for repairs, and that would be a much more primative car to drive than the 4-speed tiptronic in the 964!!

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sportomatic parts are definitely a concern. Especially because this isn't a toy that I would be willing to have laid up waiting for parts for days or weeks.

You never really know with "emerging classic" sports cars, but I think this will be a keeper. It was on sale for a couple of months, likely because it's a Tiptronic and also because the asking price was higher -- premium for the late model updates. I actually saw it right away, and it literally did tick all the boxes both for my aesthetic preferences and stuff normal people don't think about -- I can easily fold up my walker or cane and slip it into the rear passenger area; fuel filler is near the driver's door so requires no walk; comfort seats have low bolsters so I can swivel for ingress/egress; power windows and sunroof that I can operate; ride height is factory, so easier to exit; etc.

There are other cars on my list, but as you know the air-cooled 3.6 is one of the better soundtracks...

zygomatic likes this.
  16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey Jon - How are the first days with your new 964 going?

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It’s here.and looks terrific. I need to get my disabled driving aids installed before I can take a real drive safely/legally.

But i can vouch that it looks, sounds and smells great while driving 20 mph around the block.

I have all the equipment so will report back here once I’m all set up.

mcimino and rob like this.
  18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To borrow a line from the movies: I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

Bullfighter likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Gorgeous car, congrats Jon!
    I wish you many happy and safe miles.

20. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Congratulations Jon!Use this car in the best of health!I have a 93 RS America and hope to keep it forever.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Update: Had a nice local first drive to Porsche of Palm Springs to get the car serviced (major with valve adjust) and get the garish Pioneer aftermarket radio replaced with the updated Porsche Classic Communication unit.

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

On the plus side, the dedicated "Classic" tech said the car was in great shape. On the downside, the seal around the rear spoiler had called it quits, and the drive belts were nearing the end of their service life. Kind of normal for a new old 911. Also getting a full detail.

Looking forward to a proper, hot and fast drive next week. It already drove well, but I'll have more confidence with everything sorted.

Plus the weight reduction in my wallet should help get the fuel economy over the predicted 16 mpg.

Nativetroy, Island Time and Shark01 like this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Great stuff BF, now I have a reason to visit this forum.

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    One month later ... drove the car back from the dealer last night, major service completed, wallet lightened.

This was my first extended drive in the 964, and even with the supplemental hand controls it was a rush to be driving a real car (in contrast to the driver's rehab vehicles). The cockpit is properly small, the sounds and smells are proper vintage Porsche. Steering is really heavy at parking lot speeds, but on the road is super precise. I need to practice a bit before doing our local mountain roads, but it feels very tight, and the car feels like you're wearing it.

Props to the team at Porsche Palm Springs. This was expensive, as expected, but John -- their dedicated Porsche Classic tech -- owned a '92 964 in the past, and seems to know these cars down to the last bolt.

Overall the car was in good shape and drives well. However, this is a one owner car that had been owner maintained since he bought it in '93. For the most part, he did a decent job, but some of the typical old car items needed attention:

1. Drive belts were original and nearing the end of their service life, so were replaced as part of the major service. The car probably didn't need everything in the major, but with new-to-me classic cars I always do this for peace of mind.
    2. Rear spoiler air deflector replaced due to deterioration from age
    3. Air guide on fan cowling, ditto
    4. Right side blower motor ($1063 part) had failed and was tripping the fuse. Replaced so climate control works.
    5. Broken hand brake spring right rear
    6. Replaced horns -- who knew? -- because heat degrades them over time in 964s

We replaced the windscreen due to several star-cracks from rocks. Tim Holt covered the cost of the glass.

The PCCM nav/radio unit was a neat installation, and the tech corrected some aftermarket wiring to bring everything back to factory spec.

There are a few additional items I plan to do, mostly to get things perfect: The face of the fuel gauge has some delamination, so we'll swap that out. And the sunroof cables need grease!

While this is a very good 964, and one of the salesmen at the dealer suggested he'd be interested if it was for sale, the lesson is that even a diligent DIY owner is going to overlook stuff, and that at some point restoration joins regular maintenance.

More to come once I get my confidence back behind the wheel, but no doubt this car oozes cool. I'm grateful and glad to have the opportunity to be on the road again, and this feels like the right car,

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Great....enjoy it as often as you can.

25. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Jon- you did almost the same thing I did with my car- there was a star crack in the windshield (I knew about when purchasing the car), so I had the local Porsche restoration shop (Paterek Brothers) replace the windshield (& rubber gasket). My car had a 1990's aftermarket alpine radio (but stock speakers), but I bought a restored original Blaupunkt radio (from Creative Car Audio in Brea CA). I'll hardly ever use the radio since the car isn't a daily driver & I like to just listen to the motor- I changed it to just to bring the car back to stock. And like you I had the car serviced (valves adjusted, alignment, brake fluid flush, etc). Just trying to make the car "right" for me :)

For your 964, do you know if they changed the small belt inside the dual distributor? If not, you may want to have that done next time the car is in (if you don't have a record of it ever being done- not a huge cost..). Hope to see some more pics of your car!

Here's the radio bought- 80's technology- ha!:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bullfighter and Texas Forever like this.