Maserati Bora - Picture Thread | Page 39 | FerrariChat

Maserati Bora - Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ron S, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So I see that it's 134a and they ARE doing the screwy one in the video of a nice green Indy with the cable drive of the water pump. BTW the belts on Bora, QP3 and Khamsin are those very narrow snappy snap snap ones which is different from the Ghibli , Indy & QP1. So if they say it fits a Bora it's got to have the right style pully. Proper alignment of the pulleys for the belts is critical otherwise they climb up the sides of the pully, snap back and make it sound like your engine or transmission is failing.

The Sanden I got for my Espada runs R134a or R15 which I have and is also what these systems were designed for. But people have converted just a bit less efficient. Ask because the Valeo might due both.

2. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh the newer style compressor will much better and far less of a load @ idle.

3. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    They note that the dual belt drive and the diameter of theAC compressor clutch pulley are the same. They’re willing to work to make sure all the measurements are correct. So far, anyway. It’s a little reminiscent of the difference between the LS-1 on a Camaro vs a Corvette, not interchangeable….

4. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I replaced a York compressor with a Sanden on a Pantera and I am very pleased with the results. Much less vibrations and stress on the engine. On a Bora the challenge will be to find a Sanden clutch that works with the Polyflex belts. At least you do not have to worry about the cable that pulls the water pump on the Indy/Ghibli/Khamsin.
    Ivan

staatsof likes this.
  6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is the link to their compressor offering going on an Indy.

ANF289 likes this.
  7. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    It seems that the Sanden 6" pulley has enough material to be re-machined with Polyflex 60 degree grooves.

Attached Files:

staatsof likes this.
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good stuff to know George.

9. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Hi All.
    With all the talk of the a/c on our Bora's i installed a new York unit during the restoration.
    I now find the front seal is leaking oil .We may have damaged the seal when we changed over the front pulley from the old unit. I think i seriously have to investigate changing from the piston unit to a rotary compressor.
    Has anyone in the group fitted a rotary unit to their Bora? and if so what compressor was used and how did you address
    a) front pulley to accommodation the polyflex belts?
    b) adapter plate to fit the new compressor to the car.
    Regards
    Greg

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've done it to an Espada and the adapter plates are commercially available. I used a multiple coolant Sanden compressor.

Here's one on eBay. I had to use "some" shimming washers.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/362771053378?hash=item5476d6fb42:g:I1sAAOSwZi5dk8Lj

As for the pully I think the post from GLB gives some hope but that would involve pully removal, machining and potential replating.

Maybe contact the guys in that link who offer the kit for some Maseratis. They may have already solve the pulley issue. I know some of the guys in the California club so I could ask if you'd like.
    THey didn't pick a Sanden compressor. It's worth noting that there are a lot of knock off Sanden compressors.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    there is a difference between Not Driven in 20 years and Not Running in 20 years.

14. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Brilliant distinction!
    Thought you owned a functional Bora!

After a cursory look at those pics---if that is the sentence that came to your mind to share---
    Grab it before it is gone and enjoy!

15. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I've been invited to show my Bora at this weekends car show held on the grounds of the Bridgehampton Golf Club. This course sits on what was once the Bridgehampton Raceway. It's a very fancy garden party/ car show with great food, beautiful views and live entertainment. I'll report back with some pictures.
    Here's a link to the site for anyone interested. thebridgehamptons.com View attachment 3205311

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've heard about this invite only show and it does sound very nice. Have fun Tom.

17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So ... did you go? I didn't see you car on Bat's photo coverage of the event.

19. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So Bat just missed the only Bora there, figures. Glad you enjoyed it!

I am alarmed about how little coverage the Bora in it's 50th anniversary year got this season. It seems like a replay of how the market treated it when it first emerged on the scene.

A study in contrasts ...

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/lamborghini/lamborghini-countach-50th-anniversary-the-rally-heard-around-the-world/
    Here's the factory's pathetic tribute https://www.maserati.com/international/en/news/maserati-bora-turns-50

Monterey had plenty of terrific celebrations of the Countach including a rally. There was clear factory support.

So where was Maserati for the Bora?

This was nice though https://www.topspeed.com/cars/maserati-bora-a-great-car-with-horrible-timing-ar191427.html

21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The Countach is simply an over the top visual stunner. The Bora is understated and elegant, both fitting the image of each company. Remember within a year or so of the Bora and Countach debuting so did the Ferrari 365 BB, DeTomaso Pantera, Iso Verado, Monteverdi Hai.

Always wanted to do a Display of each together, to show the different design philosophies of each manufacturer for Mid-engine at the same time. While I was able to have each model at Pocono over the years (except the Hai), I never able to get them together in the same year.

I was able to bring together the last of front engine GTs. The Ghibli, Daytona, Islero and Grifo.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No excuse for Maserati doing next to nothing. There were better web pages put together elsewhere for the Bora than on Maserati's website.

A celebratory event in Europe is probably a better idea though as they are more treasured there and more of them have gotten great restorations as opposed to hap hazard conservatorship which is what's happened to most of them here. There are exceptions of course. Countachs have always had a ton of money poured into them here, because it's required. Ditto Miuras. That really helps. Same for the Ghiblis much later.

23. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Am i bias or is this the best looking car on the leaflet

boralogist likes this.
  25. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Bora looks awesome..

Almost as striking as the decidedly mid-90's era vibe of the leaflet!