Why don't you wash your own car? | FerrariChat

Why don't you wash your own car?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by DiamondDog, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    In the spirit of transparency, I would really like to see this forum more active.

If you don't wash your own car, why?

I find it almost therapeutic. Kids and wives never want to help, so you get a free pass to have hours of alone time. Drink a beverage, massage your art piece on wheels! Listen to music.

I am not a detailer , don't sell anything, but I have learned a lot over the years and am always willing to help or answer questions. I've tried so many products. I can help you save you from some of the bad experiences I have had.

Knowing that I am just a enthusiast like you may feel like you a more trusted perspective?

I also like to learn about new things so your contribution would be very valued by me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    I hate washing my car. my storage facility is better at it and does a great job.
    But I love to detail, wax, and polish her.
    The dirt is well, dirty!!!
    vdm

Rosey likes this.
  3. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Totally get it. And if you k ow how to polish and seal your finish, you don't have to worry about washing it as much.

So many people don't understand that when you clean a car, you run risk of putting swirls and scratches into your paint. Many of the products address this. You would be surprised how easy it is to scratch and put swirls in your car by just washing it.

Most wash services do not care that much about this.

vdm9 likes this.
  4. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    To me it is boring and repetitive, and provides zero sense of satisfaction. I'll do oil changes all day, every day, swap engines, anything mechanical...but I do not wash any of my cars myself. I'm far too anal about it, and I would spend hours and still worry I'd missed a spot. And then it'll rain the next day and all my work will be for naught...

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Much like yard work, the hired folks do a better job than I do, because frankly I don't care as much as I should about the small details. I drive my cars, they're usually dirty and dusty with grass on the floorboard. When they have to be shiny and pretty, I'd rather someone with a clay bar and OCD get after it, and I'll gladly write a check.

375+ and vdm9 like this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Tell us what is in your Arsenal in terms of products

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    flash32 likes this.
  8. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I wash my own. Always have. I enjoy the peace and quiet and find it therapeutic. Mostly, I'm too anal to let anyone else touch the car. In my experience, 99% of people don't know how to properly wash a car without damaging the paint, and the rest charge more than it's worth to me, especially since I enjoy it.

9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
  10. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I also wash and wax all my own cars, to sum it up everything you just said I could not have said better ,I feel exactly the same way.

jc1 likes this.
  11. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Ditto, except for the part about enjoying it. For me, detailing is hard, tedious work. But I hate having a car that isn't as perfect as I can make it.

I've been detailing my cars since I was 18 and bought my first car. That includes not only washing, waxing and sealing, but claying, compounding, polishing, wet sanding and cleansing.

My favorite products come mostly from Pinnacle, P21S, Meguiar's, Optimum, Sonus, Duragloss and The Rag Company (for most MF towels). I spend a fair amount of time reading and participating in the detailing forums at www.autopia.org to stay up on new products, and buy almost all of my products from www.autogeek.net

3 years ago I concours-prepped my '88 911 and it took just under 200 hours. I removed the bumpers, mirrors, side rockers, all exterior lighting and trim items. I did a partial engine drop in order to clean the engine bay. Removed the wheels and brake calipers and cleaned them off the car while detailing every inch of the wheel wells and suspension and brake components. What a job, and I swear I'll never go that far again. But I won second place at the Colorado Concours with 192 pts out of 200. The first place beat me by just 1.5 pts.

A word about washing, and putting swirls and fine scratches in your paint...most damage is done in the drying, not the washing. And, it isn't the products that cause or prevent swirls so much as the technique that you use. Most people wash and dry their cars by rubbing and scrubbing the same area over and over. When you do that, your wash mitt or drying towel picks up dirt and dust and scours the paint with it, causing the scratches and swirls. ONE swipe when washing is all you need, and all you should do. When drying, I prefer to use a leaf blower or detailing blower such as a Master Blaster to get rid of 95% of the water. What water remains after that gets blotted, not wiped. Nothing but high quality microfiber towels and foam polishing pads touch my car. The only time I allow my hands or fingers to touch the car is when opening/closing the doors or trunk lid. A single fingerprint anywhere on the car bothers me, and I fix it when I see it.

Here's a shot I just took of my main detailing products shelf. I have two shelves in a nearby closet dedicated to other products, and various detailing tools such as polishing pads and my Flex 3401 random orbital polisher.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tbjo1, Rexcat458, SLViper1 and 2 others like this.
  12. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    You are so correct. Here is my Process:

1. Foam cannon wash everything. No touch. Let it dwell 5 -10 minutes Rinse
    2. Hit the wheels with a soap bucket and Wheel Wollies and a wash mit (dedicated to wheels). Grit guard in bottom of bucket. Rinse, spray car with water again if hot day to prevent spotting.
    3. 1 bucket wash with 5 mits in it. No need for grit guard because you pull a new mit each time and throw the dirty one in a separate bucket. Rinse
    4. Blow dry with a leaf blower. Then touch up with mirofiber and quick detailer or recharge coating with Jaxwax Graphene spray detailer (only about every 3 months and takes 15 minutes)

Dave Bertrand and jc1 like this.
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have no issues whatsoever washing my Ferrari. That's the 2nd easiest part of ownership (the 1st being driving it).

Rexcat458 and bball16 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #14 jm2, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    As an aside, any car designer worth their colored markers and pencils, will tell you that washing a car by hand allows one to really discover a design and the surfaces/forms.
    Nothing like passing your hands down a fender or quarter panel/bodyside to really appreciate a design.
    Just sayin'

Rexcat458, mdrums, raysur and 5 others like this.
  15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Just got my Ryobi pressure washer. Any recommendations on foam attachments? I use the multiple wash mitts approach but no foam yet.

16. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I really like the foam cannon (their deluxe one) that Griot’s Garage offers. Their foam products are outstanding! I also do all of my own detailing and washing. I love taking care of my 458!!!

Cheers!

Face76 likes this.
  17. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I may have touched my car inappropriately a few times. Ha ha

bw929, jm2, Face76 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I get your point of view.

Me? I’m a driver. They’re just cars, very cool cars, but just cars. Once I’m done driving, somebody else can wash it. Guess that’s why I like black interiors. They are easier to keep “clean.”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    Rexcat458 and DiamondDog like this.
  21. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    #21 A348W, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    I wash my own; why would I pay somebody to do something that I can do good enough?

They usually just get a wipe down with detailed; but if they are properly dirty they will get washed. Then I will tinker detailing in the evenings; beats watching tv!!!

As I do a fair amount of my own maintenance; it also gives me a good opportunity to go over the car and check things out!

Ive tried a foam cannon, and if anybody wants one, it’s yours for free, just collect it. It’s fine for light dust; but try living in the country next to a farm; it can’t touch proper mud or cow pooh!!!

Double bucket for me on all our cars; pressure washers are for patios only!

22. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

23. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Foam cannon is just for a pre wash to get loose dust off. Just an extra precaution to avoid swirls and love marks

You still need to do a contact wash per your process and reasoning you outlined

A348W likes this.
  24. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I love washing all our cars.
    Waxing, not so much anymore. I used to hand wax the Fcar and others with Zymol, to much time now.
    I just take them to the detailer for waxing, they can do it in half the time I could.

25. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I love washing my cars as well. And for the past 6 months since we sold our house, we have been in temporary digs in a big apartment building and my cars are filthy. I’m going to put a dedicated wash bay in the new house so that I can properly spend time cleaning. I love the therapeutic aspect of it. Need to get out of this damn apartment building!

Jakuzzi likes this.