Why I should NOT buy an 812/GTS? | FerrariChat

Why I should NOT buy an 812/GTS?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by darkbard, Sep 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Hello,

I am interested in getting opinions regarding why I should NOT buy an 812 Superfast or 812 GTS.

It is quite easy to find enthusiastic reviews online, but I struggle finding a good analysis of the negatives of owning such a car. I bet it is not perfect, so there must be something that current owners regret?

It is obviously a very subjective matter, but I think it may spawn interesting discussions and turn out useful for future buyers too.

2. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    The only negatives of the car include the useless passenger display that doesn’t integrate with Apple car play and an archaic interface for audio and nav for the driver.

Correctly assuming the radio should only be used in traffic, it’s a minor annoyance.

The GTS is a stellar car. It checks every single box. The best Ferrari I’ve ever driven/owned.

SF equally fantastic with a better soundtrack.

Archer1021, 430jm and darkbard like this.
  3. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    I agree, GTS looks fenomenal. Didn’t drive one yet, unfortunately. If GTS will be, I feel its worth a tailor made version and keep it for many years.

Interesting point about the SF90 (unfortunately beyond my comfort zone in terms of $$), but as I have learned, noise preferences are so subjective that is not even worth opening a discussion :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I’d have to say the passenger display option has always seemed like a bit of a gimmick that I just can’t wrap my mind around. From a standpoint of knowing the speed I don’t know many vehicles where that is hard to view by looking at the typical display even in the passenger seat. The other features have a relative function but don’t offer great interaction and usability as suggested here. Beyond that hard to know why not to buy it. Unless one doesn’t like a convertible??

darkbard likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The only “negative” is entirely personal and that is if you are looking for an “exotic car” experience the styling of these cars is intentionally a little more muted than the rear-midengined cars.

6. Quick1

Quick1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    B
    It costs a lot to buy, to insure, to fix if crashed.
    People will drive like asshats around you to show off their Civic Si.
    You can only take one passenger.
    You can't fit much in the trunk.
    It's not good in the snow.

As you can tell.... Nothing important to worry about! ;) Enjoy your new car!:D

Prannay and HotRodDan like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nobody can answer this for you. Not here, nor in the V8 section.

Truth be told, if you are now this much in doubt after being head-over-heels bent on getting a 458 a few days ago, I'd say you need to take a step back and let everything settle.

Season is over anyway, so you have time. I still think you should focus on finding a Speciale, because that's kind of where this originated for you. Don't rush and don't over-complicate things. You can test cars till you are blue in the face, and not learn anything. It all just becomes a mess. Keep your focus on the Speciale and see if it retains your interest. The grass is always greener on the opposite side of the fence, so don't bother looking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Autosport, ryalex, RogGT-R and 2 others like this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Why ask why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napoli, Bobby_P, gliazzurri and 2 others like this.
  9. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    It's slow compared to its rivals. It doesn't handle as well as most monocoques costing half as much. It's "jack of all trades but master of none" which may not be what you want when you're buying a 500k+ car. I personally don't think the 812 looks strikingly beautiful--GTS or not. 20gallon fuel tank + that v12 give you less range than a Tesla (also slower). It's relatively new, and typical 812 doesn't get driven all that much, so you're jumping in unknown waters in terms of reliability of the drivetrain, rear steering, etc. and everything else that comes from driving a Ferrari.

It's not a logical decision. If it will make you happy, buy it. It won't make much logical sense if you think it through IMHO

10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Yes… great question. Buy a Ford Fiesta instead and roll down the windows. Better apple carplay. More comfortable seats. More than 2 passengers. Louder than an e car. Android auto. Leave the Speciales and the 812s to the ferraristas. Or get one of these:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pastaboy1980, Rupie, Prannay and 4 others like this.
  11. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Nice car and sounds like you like the design ....but my my opinion it’s big ,overweight...ugly in my eyes.
    F12 was easier on the eyes.

Prannay and LARRYH like this.
  12. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Yeah. Got my wife with me last time I visited the dealership, and the 812 clicked her taste immediately. :)

Thecadster and italiafan like this.
  13. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    I think I an making up my mind also thanks for all the input I got in this forum. Being over-analytical is definitely a problem in this case, I agree I should focus.

I am mentally settling on a 458 (probably Speciale if I find the right one) or 812 GTS. Totally different cars but I give a lot of weight to the looks of a car, and I love them both. The Plus of 812 GTS is that I can make it my own (well, assuming I move quickly) and still buy a NA, albeit a huge premium in taxes and price.

Well, all in all, it is good problems to have :)

Caeruleus11 and italiafan like this.
  14. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Opening doors need a lot of room, parking can be a *****.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I agree with you on this I Have slot for a TM GTS but I am not certain I just bought my second F12(sold the first) its a TM 70th anniversary (style 6) and it to me the F12 is better looking and sounds Better than the GTS... so I am having second thoughts on the GTS ... but then again it would be a very Nice open V12... and ..it also seems to bulky to me ..
    probably will get it but ??

Prannay and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Larry nice choice the F12 way better in my opinion...if you want a open top how about porsche targa

17. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    812 and Tesla comparisons....about to need anti nausea medication....
    Though I think it is way better looking.

Pastaboy1980 and Bas like this.
  18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    812SF/ GTS are the best cars I have ever driven short of the 2.2M Battista (no I haven’t driven the Bugatti,Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari hypercars)
    Looks are subjective but for sheer driving pleasure they can’t be beat. Yes you can get faster better handling cars for less money but as an “adult” superGT that doesn’t scream “boy racer” there is no other that does so much so well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Prannay, WM458, khal360 and 3 others like this.
  19. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Every model 3 that pulls up next to you will try to race you. I just pretend I don't see them

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The 812 is peerless. Other cars can be brilliant at different things but if you want emotion, style, searing performance, brilliant handling and as much feel-good factor as you can handle, tick that box. I have a Speciale and both 812s and they are all brilliant. With a 458 in the garage I wouldn’t be adding a Speciale. The Speciale will push your 458 out of the garage whereas a 458 and a GTS are an excellent n/a pairing that cover 8, 12, mid, front, balanced sports, super GT, coupe and convertible. It’s just a better 2-car garage.

khal360, 430jm and darkbard like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree need both V8 and V12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    In retrospect the only reason to not buy an 812SF is if you don’t want sh*t eating grin on your face at the end of a trip in one.
    As for the GTS ditto but with a sunburn!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

430jm, Quick1 and vonbeeler like this.
  23. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Easy to answer for me. I didn't fit with the electric seats and had to get the sport seats which I find horribly uncomfortable. My 812 GTS will be up for sale after I've had it for 6 months.

Oz-ATL and Thecadster like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    How tall are you Ron? 6' 4"?

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    6' 3" and head hits the roof with the electric seats.