355 - New Exhaust Option: Larini GT2 Muffler (Phase 2) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 New Exhaust Option: Larini GT2 Muffler (Phase 2)

Discussion in '348/355' started by ShineKen, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Big favor! Anyway you can measure the thickness of the exhaust can. I had the Capristo and it was rubbing against the pumpkin or the bumper - ended up returning it. I hope its not thicker than the original.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I did weigh the muffler last night. 29 lbs.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That's normal with a Capristo muffler on the 355. The can rubs on the bumper shield. I have a Capristo as well. If you have a 5.2 car, @kenneyd says you can make some bracket adjustments to avoid it. If you have a 2.7 car @MAD828 says you're sh*t out of luck.

Big mistake to return it. Capristo muffler stock is very low. Should have checked here first :).

Just going off visually, the Larini muffler should clear.

4. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yea, I’m pretty happy about them. I still need to test fit. I won’t be putting them on until I dyno my car with the factory headers first. I’m curious to know how much more power they make and where they make it.

6. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    They look beautiful. I haven't read the whole thread, does Larini say they make more power than factory headers?

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Claimed noticeable HP gains when this was first brought to my attention.

If you look back at the history of this purchase, although Larini probably won’t admit it, these headers were just a concept. No actual photos of product. My purchase helped make it a reality. Imo, that’s the real reason this took a year to get. Perhaps designed on CAD with estimated power gains. No verified actual proof to back up their claims. Mostly an educated guess at this stage.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be the first to put it on and first to dyno, so we can see how much of concept becomes reality. They are adamant about me sending installed pictures. That’s the giveaway.

I really like how the Capristo 4-2-1 header w/ their blanket performed on my Scud. A noticeable improvement over stock in low to mid range power and a lil up top. Noticeable, but not life-changing power. I didn’t feel any compromise over stock. Sound was better and volume was up about 30%. Capristo 430 headers/high quality blankets worth $4k? - YES. Worth $6-7k? - No. Capristo should’ve offered a 4-2-1 header for the 355. Missed huge opportunity.

I just got these today and haven’t analyzed the piping layout. At a quick glance, they look like Capristo 4-2-1 430 headers with a more effective blanket and stepped primaries.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Targatime likes this.
  8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Honestly not super happy with the quality of my Tubi headers. Those Larini's look amazing though. Much better attention to detail.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Weight: 13.5 lbs each x 2 = 27 lbs.

Anyone have weights on OE manifolds?

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Weight comparisons for OEM headers and Tubi are 6.6 kilos (14.5lbs) each versus 5.4 kilos (11.9lbs) each. So 2.4 kilos saved over stock.

These weights are for 5.2 manifolds. But they should be fairly consistent with the 2.7 especially in the percentage weight difference between the OEM and Tubi.

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  12. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Curious what the dyno shows. Has anyone dyno'd the Tubi headers? (i.e. dyno'd them correctly, same car/same dyno/without other mods)

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  14. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They look nice Ken. The wait is over.:)

ShineKen likes this.
  15. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    Any idea what the lead times are now that you’ve been the guinea pig, Ken?

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Personally, I feel they experience constant delays and don’t really come close to their given ETAs. Probably due to a combination of understaffing and surge of orders, which I think is the case for most companies in the automotive after-market manufacturing these days.

It took them a year to go from CAD to prototype to jig to building to Inconel shielding. The shielding probably takes longer than building it.

Only thing they have now is a jig (for a 2.7). IF there are no fitment issues, which they’re probably waiting on me to confirm, I wouldn’t be surprised if it took them 6 months to build a unit.

Plan 6-10 months ahead if this is what you want.

I have a buddy who’s interested in a set as well. He currently has Fabspeed headers. He’s also interested in Tubis, but waiting on me to confirm power and sound of Larinis, which seems to be his primary concern. On a side note, he’s also also got a 2.7 w/ Capristo muffler, Capristo bypass, and a Kriessieg spiral Y-pipe on the way.

IvanRico and [email protected] like this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  18. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    Almost. In contract on a car pending PPI - fingers crossed.

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    RMCmiami car?

20. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    there really aren’t enough cars changing hands to keep many secrets. Assuming the PPI goes though it’ll be on a truck headed to Westchester NY. First Ferrari - closest I’ve had was a Giulia QV before this, which really doesn’t count.

308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Congrats! That’s a good car and the one I would recommend although pricey. Euro spec is a notch or two more special. I don’t see it having major issues.

Let’s just say it was an educated guess ;). Good luck!

22. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    I passed on the Swiss car in Miami. I don’t think the sellers meant any harm but they should have done their own compression test before listing the car.

On a cold compression test cylinder 7 was off by 27% from the others. Car drives well, engine runs smooth and it’ll be good for someone that wants to address the issue but not for me.

ShineKen likes this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Larini finally sent me a valve controller. I believe it is for a Ferrari 360. They believe it should work on a 2.7 355 (but not a 5.2 355), but they have never tried. This is why they haven’t offered a valve controller kit for a 355.

Personally, I don’t touch anything electrical related. Wouldn’t even remove the radio without an electrical expert around. Pretty much rely on my buddies to figure it out :). For the experts… will this work on a 355?

https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/ferrari/360-challenge-stradale/larini-activalve-remote-exhaust-kit

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I don't think so. I see wires to attach it to the fuse box.
    But I don't see any of the connectors like I have in the back of my 355 with my capristo valve controller. Seems to control it a different way.

I know I said this before, but I think the valve controller is one of my favorite features.