Cobra death in Los Angeles suburb, anybody know who? | FerrariChat

Cobra death in Los Angeles suburb, anybody know who?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Skip to content
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Search for

TEMPLE CITY
    LA County Sheriff's Department Employee Killed, Passenger Hospitalized in Shelby Cobra Crash
    The driver was ejected from the classic sports car and died at the scene, where several patrol cars arrived and left with a coroner's van in a procession.
    By Jonathan Lloyd and Oleevia Woo • Published 4 hours ago • Updated 2 hours ago

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Both the driver and passenger were thrown out by the impact when they hit a utility pole. The 33-year old driver, a sheriff, died. The car was a Superformance replica. I think this brings up the question of replicas not having to have:
    air bags
    shoulder harnesses
    side door guard beams
    crush zones
    collapsible steering columns
    In short nothing that's been invented for safety in the past 50 years.....

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Because replicas are not required to have these safety items. I wonder if the 33-year old driver has ever had things like brakes fail in a car? I’m 69. I’ve experienced a brake pedal going to the floor multiple times. Talk about scared straight.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LARRYH, Boomhauer and Davesvt2000 like this.
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Same here...on track with my 2011 Italia...must have boiled water in brake fluid..going down the straight at ~130 mph...hit brakes at last second before hard right...pedal right to floor...nothing...nada....
    (Luckily, at end of straight there was a run off into parking lot—not really luck, track designed that way—....was doing over 120 mph going by people eating lunch at the picnic tables...I think I was pretty close to death that day.)

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The laws of physics. 100 airbags isn't going to help you.

kylec, INRange, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  7. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    The last sentence of the linked article is so inflammatory

“how did they manage to skirt all the rules?”

the car is built to the current NHTSA rules regarding kit cars or low volume cars. They - superformance - did not skirt anything.

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    That looks terrible........

9. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I’m sorry to hear about the accident.

I will admit to being amazed that when a human loses control of a vehicle they have an uncanny ability to lock onto something like a 14” utility pole and hit it dead center with the “car out of control”.

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

this is not about the car.

11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'd love to have a few of the replicas being made today but fiberglass isn't known for it's crash worthiness. I'm guessing they were thinking being ejected was better than seat belts in an accident?

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    1. Whether the cars SKIN is fiberglass or aluminum, neither is much help in a crash. However, the STEEL tube (square or round) FRAME/tub/chassis (which these replica's have) is.
    2. Any passenger or driver taking a ride in a 427 Cobra without wearing a harness is (sorry) just plain stupid. I would think after the driver floors it just one time, any sane person would scramble for their harness.

Texas Forever and ronc52 like this.
  13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Because journalists aren't journalists any longer, so they don't do journalist things. ;)

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    a rule racers live by is you hit what you look at. John Q. Out of control looking at a 14” utility pole is “going” to hit it.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    For people who grew up with moderns full of nannies any older car is a accident ready to happen. Add all that power in a short wheelbase with relatively minimal tires requres respect and some skill/maturity to deploy. On a modern you can mash the pedal of a 1000hp car and the computers wont let it get out of shape.

think of it like someone whose never ridden a motorcycle getting on a yamaha r1 and opening it up cause this is their one chance, the odds of somethign bad happeinign are pretty good.

Texas Forever and Davesvt2000 like this.
  16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Boxerman: I agree with you, Reminds me of one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movie lines: "A man has to know his limitations." I have stepped out of a car hwen riding as passenger when it looked like the driver , in a Corvair, was pushing for an accident. In London, got freaked out driving on the wrong side of the road (to us Americans)so I called up the car company that loaned it and told them to come and pick it up. I also drove a BMW motorcycle half mile but when I got to the corner didn't know how to turn so got off and waited got the owner. Alive today after a couple other bailouts with nary a scratch.

I haven't investigated that accident's cause but I think after 2 am is significant because what closes at 2 a,m? The bars.

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    one thing about these replicas is they are built with far more power than the originals had . The original small block cobra was 300 hp and the big block had around 450 hp now they are built with more than 600 hp which is far to much for this already (in 1963) ancient chassis design ..

18. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I have a Factory Five Replica for about 10 years now. It is literally the entire families favorite car. I consider it the same as a motorcycle as far as safety goes.
    I have never seen one without full 3 inch harnesses. I would never consider driving it without a complete harness.
    I only have 225 HP and with the low weight of these cars I consider that more than enough.

I never get rambunctious, like I would in other cars, always respecting the lack of safety items, other than the roll bar and harness.

Before I started the build I researched Cobra accidents and there was at least one serious crash, rollover and the driver was OK.