GTO 64 - Book by Doug Nye | Page 6 | FerrariChat

GTO 64 - Book by Doug Nye

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Lusso123, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Which have you ordered, standard or Uber?

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Neither, yet. I’m waiting for reviews. It’ll be standard if I do.

Zeltweg and Rosey like this.
  3. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    My leather edition arrived today - with a heavily damaged slipcase and a slightly damaged book, because the parcel suffered some major damage (and was not packed very well) ...

4. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    That's disappointing for sure, as of late I've noticed a complete lack of proper packaging from books I've ordered through publishers.

For this reason it's pretty much why I only buy through Horton's books, from whom I purchased the standard edition, from the few they had at Pebble Beach in August

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Unacceptable. Publishers should pay far more attention to packaging. For books as expensive this a bespoke shipping container/outer box should be used. My copy of the Ch. Pozzi English version arrived in pristine, undamaged condition because it was packed in what appeared to be a box made just for that book.

Lusso123, of2worlds and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    That last line says it all and has always been a problem with ordering books since I could remember.

Publishers are happy to sell you books at crazy prices but then ship them out like they’re mailing a letter.

Rosey likes this.
  7. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Not my department - but very much my concern. I am taking this up with the shippers.

DCN

8. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    That’s why I like bookstores. Sorry to hear this.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It was.

10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    That's so annoying.

These days I hold my breath every time I unpack posted books. Normally the books that arrive from publishers are fine.

It tends to be the very few I purchase through random eBay sellers that seem to give me the most anxiety.

Lusso123 likes this.
  11. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Christianne from Watermark reacted immediately after my mail and offered a new copy in return of the old one. Very good service in my view.

The book had been packed into a fitting tailor-made box and this box in another one. But maybe, they should have added some cushioning material to it. But I must also say that the parcel seems to have suffered a really heavy blow as both boxes, the slipcase and slightly the book have been damaged. I don't know what UPS has done with it.

But anyway: The reaction by Watermark has been very swift and professional, so no worries.

Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Chaters had a review copy of GTO/64 at the Goodwood Revival yesterday (17th Sept '21). I've never bought a book for more than about £150 before, but it took me one minute - maybe 90 seconds - to sign up for this one at £280. I think the debate about how many GTO books are needed is misplaced. The 1964 GTOs - particularly the "proper" three - have such a huge mystique that I see this book as filling a large gap in the market, not duplicating it. The fact that someone of Doug's stature is the author only adds to the appeal. It is like BBR or CMC doing a 1:18 scale model of a 1964 GTO - which infuriatingly they never have. I'm particularly hoping for some fuller information on the later ownership history of the '64 cars. The ex-Bardinon #5573GT alone could probably fill a whole chapter ! I remember long-time Bardinon mechanic Terry Hoyle once telling me that even he had never been allowed to drive it...

Lusso123, SmokyDave, Halfwit and 6 others like this.
  13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    All 7 are "proper".

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    May I add that Watermark are very concerned and protective of their valued customers' interests and that over the past 5-6 years, despite having shipped thousands of books, only perhaps a dozen have been reported damaged, and have been replaced.

With the best will in the world accidents will happen.

It is unusual when a package appears either to have been dropped onto a very sharp object, or to have had a very sharp and heavy object dropped onto it. The matter is being pursued with the shipping company. Packaging of 'GTO/64' matches that for the Phil Hill 'Inside Track' book as illustrated (by a satisfied customer) elsewhere on FC.

DCN

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Doug. The information and the follow-through are much appreciated.

Nembo1777, Zeltweg and gt4me like this.
  16. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Well, three are bodied as they FIRST left the factory (subsequent repairs notwithstanding), four are not. I guess you could say that 4399 (the 1963 RHD Maranello Concessionaires / Bamford Car) is special, as it was - I believe - the very first 250 GTO to be fitted with the 1964 body. Even before 5571-5575 were built. But I would think that at this uber-rarefied level of collectors cars, the market would make a distinction between the three "from-new" cars, and the four "re-bodied" cars. Perhaps Doug's book will enlighten us...?

17. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    In what appears to be the quickest post-Bexit shipment of a heavy book from the UK to Germany, my new copy arrived today - just two (!) days after being shipped by Watermark. Excellent service in every respect.

The book itself (Uber edition) provides pure joy as it shows great craftsmanship in the treatment of the leather livery and smells lovely. It's a pleasure to take it in one's hands alone.

At the weekend, I will find time to look through it page by page. I started reading a little bit at the beginning - very pleasant reading!

miurasv, ivo73, Llenroc and 9 others like this.
  18. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    The standard edition has arrived in the UK now and will be shipped from Oct 4 on.

gpiro and Zeltweg like this.
  19. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Got mine this morning (5th Oct). Very well packaged (from Chater's), and a pleasure to look through. As a Brighton resident, I was fascinated to learn that one of the cars competed in the 1968 Speed Trials ! Wonderful research.... Congrats Doug !

Rosey, of2worlds, Buchpilot and 4 others like this.
  20. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    Mine arrived this morning,very well packaged and mint condition .A quick leaf through revealing an excellent well researched book well up to Mr Nyes very high standards.

The standard version has one of the best covers on any book I have owned ,a work of art.

100 per cent recommended

Rosey, Nembo1777, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  21. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Is there a desire to start a registry for the numbers that are owned here?
    I have just heard from Cotswold Road & Race that mine will be dispatched tomorrow.

Zeltweg, Rosey and Halfwit like this.
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Go for it !!
    Are the standard versions individually numbered?

23. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge

Yes they are.The book comes with a small card with its own number.

Zeltweg and Rosey like this.
  24. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge

Forgot to mention, I ordered direct from Watermark Publications.Good packaging.

25. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I love it! A registry of book serial numbers. Mine is # 213 (standard edition) - and excitingly the outer cardboard box and insert card are 'matching numbers'. Also, I'm going to say this just for the hell of it: Mine are numbers 5571GT, 5573GT and 5575GT. Oooh that felt good. Even if it was a fib !

Buchpilot likes this.