458 - What is the purpose of wheel spacers? | FerrariChat

458 What is the purpose of wheel spacers?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I keep seeing wheel spacers available for sale for the 458. What exactly is the purpose of wheel spacers? Do they have any performance function or are they just for looks to give a better looking stance?

What are the recommended wheel spacers sizes for improved performance and looks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

It's mostly for looks. Personally I have a hard time seeing the difference and seeing the "wow that looks so much better" factor. Maybe someone could make it clearer with pictures and explanation?

3. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Well, they are a good way of destroying your wheel bearings. Also, they may mess with the geometry of the suspension etc. I would buy a custom wheel if possible and avoid the spacers altogether. Many people seem to use without care.

GT2goneF, Gh21631 and Viperjoe like this.
  4. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Agreed that custom wheels with the proper width and offset are a better option if one wants to do away with the inset look and achieve a more flush stance. That said, manufacturers like Porsche have offered 5mm spacers as a factory option.

5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    It increases the track of the car. If you do it more in the front than the back, it will make the car less stable. If you do it right, the car will roll less in side load, increasing the amount of cornering force available. As pointed out, it comes at the cost of increased stress on the wheel bearings.

6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I've seen some 458's that are tastefully lowered with custom wheels that are flush with the panels. It really does look great in person. However, I like going over speed bumps and using stock wheels. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As the track is widened, that effectively puts a greater load on the tyre during cornering. It also has,an effect similar to softening the sway bars a bit. This is why if you install thicker spacers in the rear, you get mkre understeer WHICH YOU DON'T WANT! I installed Hill 11 mm spacers on all four coroners on the Pista and she really likes that. Note that I had the car on the alignment rack when doing that, so everything was set properly.

Yes it is true that widening the track will put more load on your bearings and ball joints. This is the case whether you run spacers or a lower offset. If spacers are manufactured and used correctly, they load the hub the same way as a low offset wheel does. When a wheel is clamped on to the hub, the load is carried by the concentric hub of the wheel and spindle, not the bolts. If a spacer fits properly, it transfers the load to the spindle just like a low offset wheel does. For this reason I only, and I do mean ONLY use Hill spacers. To this day I have never seen anything fit as well. It's always a joy to put two metal pieces together and it just goes "click".

Now as far as fitment go, 11 mm is about as wide as you can go in the front without rubbing. Some get away with 15 mm, but it really depends on the stance. Especially if the car is lowered, it can cause,an issue, as the caster moves the wheel back as the car is lowered. This can cause the wheel to run on the rear portion of the liner.

So 11 mm on all four corners for performance, and a staggered set for looks, especially if it's a 15/20 set.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m doing 11/15s and Novitec springs to give less roll on twisty roads. I don’t want to lower it too much.

I’ve pretty much run out of things to do on the 458 after this change.

If I don’t like it I’ll revert back to stock. Everything I’ve done is reversible.

9. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    absolute best response I’ve seen on spacers. I’ve always put them on my 911s. Esthetically I think it looks better filling the wheel well.

GT2goneF and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Interesting. Thanks guys. Will avoid spacers for now.

11. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Well... from the car dynamics point of view there is no doubt that wider tracks will make a car turn faster.
    This, of course, doesn't mean that adding spacers to an existing car is necessarily a good idea, as there are downsides to it (and, of course, smaller offset wheels would have the same geometry effect in a better engineering way, but still with some residual downside).
    As for myself I purchased my 458 as second-hand and asked the dealer to remove the existing spacers before even delivering it, which tells my opinion but... truth to be told: has anybody here ever had bearing issues that have been positively caused by adding wheel spacers in their own experience (not told stories)? I am just curious...

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never. Here's the thing. The Italia, Speciale, 488, Pista,F8 and other Ferraris such as the Lusso share bearings. Just goes to show what these bearings are capable of. The rear bearing used in the 560 hp 458 with ET 57 mm, is the same bearing supporting the 720 hp F8 with an ET of 38 mm. The front bearing supporting the 458 with an offset of 48 mm is also the bearing that supports the heavier 599 GTO with an offset of about 38 mm.

It's also the same bearing standing up to abuse in the 488 Challenge which runs a camber that loads the bearing much harder.

Will spacers hurt a 458? No. Only if the product used is not up to snuff.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    This is a great discussion. I am on the fence about lowering the car and adding spacers or new wheels. Interested in hearing if others have had any negative experiences. I have not heard of hill spacers but will chwck those out. I was thinking novitec spacers and springs.

AD211 likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You are ridiculously smart. Thanks for your always valuable input. I always thought that spacers were an overall bad idea. Hence, I would have never nor have I bought spacers. For F8, had custom wheels installed. Regardless, I think, it is always the safest option to go with a custom wheel than spacer. Logic tells me that fewer parts between axle and wheel is mechanically safer and more sound.

Chizz likes this.
  15. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks for this insight. While it seems bearings will be okay and unaffected, what are your thoughts on spacers causing increased load on ball joints?

16. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    This is what I thought too, based on my personal experience of never having seen a single issue caused by spacers in my life.
    The real issues to me are added weight (in general, and when compared to a smaller offset wheel), wheel arches scrubbing (when excessive), increased chance of kerbing, and possibly the chance of negatively affecting the handling if wrong/unbalanced sizes (the default being improving it).

17. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I just removed the spacers on my 458.
    While they slightly improved the stance, I got tired of all the junk the front tires sprayed on the bodywork.

18. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA