Driving a 348 for long distance | FerrariChat

Driving a 348 for long distance

Discussion in '348/355' started by FerMaz, Sep 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi everyone. Who has driven their 348 for at least 300 miles in a day and how reliable and comfortable is it if your car is well maintained and in good shape with 50,000 miles on it. I am getting older and am planning to take it on a longer drive. What precautions have you taken when you do not have a spare. What do you take besides your phone and AAA card to get you to where you can have service in case of an emergency. can anyone recommend a good run flat type of can that actually works.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Mel

2. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Have done this on multiple occasions in my 348 Spider with 40k+ miles on it. No hiccups. I pack a small toolkit (ie: 90+ piece socket set, a wrench set, various screwdrivers, various pliers). Thats about it. I believe space saver tire suggestions can be found on the forum. Happy travels.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The car will be fine. But take a Costco-sized bottle of Aleve for your back and splitting headache that will surely follow!

ILLA NOIZ, Yassa and Mike Morrissey like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Done that a fair few times. Tool kit, jump leads, foam tyre repair, and breakdown cover.

Alternator let me down once; otherwise all good.

Enjoy your travels.

5. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I just did a 900 mile trip in my F355. It was amazing! You won't regret it :)

308 GTB likes this.
  6. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    As was said earlier: from the mechanical standpoint the car isn't the problem - it'll take the miles without complaining (if properly maintained). The issue is the other half of the equation: comfort. Wind noise + road noise + skinny seats don't make for a pleasant mile-eating experience.

7. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Drove mine from Los Angeles to Texas and back (over 3000 miles of driving) with zero issues and I have over 60k miles on my car.

8. EDVTEC

EDVTEC Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Eduardo Caro
    #8 EDVTEC, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    I think most of 348 owners, we have done this, and we have enjoyed a lot driving long distance journeys.

The Ferrari 348 is almost a perfect GT car for long distance trips: Enough boot space for two, roomy and cozy interior and high fuel capacity tank that a legal speeds, that means an acceptable range autonomy.

Any cons? Well, maybe the noise in a long travel, and the narrow seats / driver position, that can be uncomfortable for some people, but nothing important to overshadow the virtues of this car.

9. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I love driving the 348 for long distance. As others have stated, seats are not built for endurance rides! I have contemplated building in a hidden cruise control, for those long highway drives, but can't convince myself to do it. But, halfway through a long haul, that itch comes back.... Yes, I'm getting older, and the foot doesn't wedge the console as well any more, lol. Make sure your alternator is in good shape!

Dolcevita likes this.
  10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Have to say, I found the 348 seats to be the most supportive, and comfortable seat of any car I have ever owned!

I've done long trips in my BMW's, some with Sports seats, some with standard seats, and pretty much all of them have left me with a slight ache at the base of my spine (non of the BMW seats had lumber support)

Did the same journey in my 348 a few times - No lower back issues whatsoever!

(Getting in and out of the BMW's was a damn sight easier than the 348 though! :D)

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree, I love the seats and driving position of the 348. I put 300 miles on it (150 per day) a few weekends ago. The thing just drives fantastic.

I rarely if ever drive with cruise control, so not having it is fine by me.

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I wonder if some of those who complain about the "narrow" seats have the early seats and those that don't mind as much have the later seats. Hmmm.

13. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    The seats aren't necessarily "narrow": well, they aren't for a 5'.9" slender frame like mine. The issue I found is that they are neither sufficiently padded nor adequately supportive. They are great for quick jaunts on the back roads but not so much for long distance driving.

This said, I drove 600 miles from Toronto to Virginia (most of which were in a snow storm, but that's another story), but I ended up with a butt bruise that took a few days to heal o_O

For the sake of disclosure I own a 1991 348: perhaps later years had better seats?

14. Gatorguy

Gatorguy Rookie

Apr 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Matt potasky
    My first drive ever with my 348 was from Los Angelas to San Francisco. I bought it and brought it straight to fast cars in Redondo for the engine out service. Once it was done i had to be in San Francisco for work the following day. So no choice but to literally have my first real driving be that.

It was good for the most part.

I took it up the 101 A: Bc it’s a nicer drive but also B: Bc it’s a more tempered climate with more nicer places to stop and sleep if i did break down.

It handled well for most the ride, but one of the throttle position sensors died about 50 miles outside of San Francisco, but i still made it.

To peoples point about comfort, it wasn’t the most comfortable after the two hour mark (with no stops). I’m 6 ft with a relatively athletic build. The narrowness of the seats was problematic and my thighs were pretty sore. Also, the wind noise on roads like the 101 where you’re on the ocean…oh boi, it beats on your ears a bit for sure. I put in my noise cancelling headphones for a good chunk of the ride.

Nonetheless! All in all it was still one of the best experiences of my life. Driving your first Ferrari up the California coast for the first time driving it, pretty dang cool.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Does your car have the early or later seats? Single piece vs dual piece bottom section?

16. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    They appear to be single-piece.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I regularly drive 1000 miles a day from Bay Area to SoCal and back in one day. Stoogefests ...

There was only one time when the alternator broke and I arrived in style on the back of a tow truck. Other than that one time, it has always been trouble free.

taz355 likes this.
  18. marknado

marknado Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I bought my car I drove it home the length of the north island, 700km / 440mile. The car handled it no worries! as people have said it gets pretty uncomfortable at points, but relax and have plenty of time up your sleeve and it will be a great experience.

19. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Look for a small lower back lumbar pillow the kind that hooks around the back of the seat. I found after driving the 348 two plus hours there really is no support there and it makes the ride a lot more comfortable. Have a nice drive! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White