Fabspeed "Lifetime Warranty" | FerrariChat

Fabspeed "Lifetime Warranty"

Discussion in '360/430' started by fronin, Sep 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fronin

fronin Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    Australia
    Purchased a set of Fabspeed 360 header blankets in late Dec 2019.

Fast forward less than a year on from install and started noticing a spot of powder/dust on the surface (put dust down to something else coming to rest on surface) only to discover more recently the header material has gone brittle and has is in fact broken down.

Have brought this to Fabspeed's attention who have made a number of statements in response:

1) "Over time, like all heat shields performing properly, they will get brittle and breakdown"

2) Despite the product page clearly indicating a "Lifetime warranty" Fabspeed have indicated their fine print (T&Cs) exclude the blankets from said lifetime warranty and are only limited to 1 year (which I've now going past). Only issue is their website T&Cs didn't have a lifetime warranty exclusion clause on blankets at the time of purchase and was added more recently (easily proven looking through Internet Archive - https://web.archive.org/web/20200529192951/https://www.fabspeed.com/warranty/). Fabspeed's response to this is that change to wording is "moot".

3) Additionally they've indicated:
    "Firwin, the blanket manufacturer's warranty was always 90 days. The clause 'Other great brands sold by Fabspeed Motorsport that are not manufactured by Fabspeed Motorsport will carry the respective manufacturer’s warranty as applicable'. Fabspeed Motorsport elected to extend to one year".

There is no reference to the blankets being manufactured by a separate party (nor reference to "Firwin") on their product page or anywhere I can find on their website despite this "always" being 90 days in their opinion. Blankets are marketed and sold as a Fabspeed product on their website.

Can Fabspeed claim that if some or all components in any of their products are supplied by other manufacturers, their "Lifetime warranty" no longer applies?

Have tried to resolve this issue amicably with different people at Fabspeed including those that represent them on this forum but not getting anywhere.

No chemicals or even water has come in contact with headers (car is waterless washed and engine bay wiped down) and headers are newish Fabspeed headers that aren't leaking (another thing they brought up).

Seeking the forum's opinion on this matter and how to proceed?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Any chance you can buy a new set from the manufacturer that sold them to Fabspeed? You should be able to buy them a lot cheaper.

I have their headers and blankets on my 430. They are a year old. I'm interested to see how this resolves.

Ray

one4torque likes this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Please share if you know of alt mfr of blankets.

Fyi- my fabspeed blankets look fine after 4K miles and 1.5 yrs on my 360.

4. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    I just bought an F430 CF diffuser which was delivered with some blemishes. I emailed them and no answer YET. I too am watching your case. As for me, if no response, ill most likely not support them anymore. Plenty of aftermkt companies out there.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry to hear about your experience with Fabspeed products.

My friend owns an F430 & he too hard a terrible experience with their customer support. And after reading some threads here about other members experience with this company, there won't be any Fabspeeed products on my car.

I'm sure you'll find the threads posted by doing a quick search.

Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f355spider, Shark01, Flea7 and 3 others like this.
  6. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have the same issue with my blankets also. I haven't contact them yet, mine are in worse shape than yours. They are falling apart. Main reason I haven't contacted them is from previous experience about their customer service.

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    This is why I went with Tubi insulated headers. The blankets looked sketchy and failure prone. I guess I made the right decision.

ShineKen and whatheheck like this.
  8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That material is temporary - it breaks down over time and disintegrates with exposure to high heat and in areas of contact. There should be a warning about it when sold, but if there is a warranty it really should be adhered to.

9. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    It may help if you write the complaints in Chinese. For example like this:
    那是什么鬼?

10. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Wow that sucks. I have Fanspeed headers and blankets I installed in summer of 2019.
    I only have about 2,500km on them, but will keep an eye out. I was also under the impression when I purchased them these the blankets were covered by a lifetime warranty. If not probably would have spent the money on ceramic coating to dissipate the heat. My biggest complaint so far is the smell of the blankets, which although finally reducing this year is still noticeable on a hot day with the roof down. At least it is to me because I am familiar with the smell.

fronin likes this.
  11. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    All of you call them 3 times a day till its right
    Lol

Really sad companies are so dishonest

Shark01 likes this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Everyone needs to research before buying from them.....so many stories of dis-satisfied customers, including mine from 15 years ago and I have avoided them ever since.

13. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    While it may be an inconvenient truth.....many of us have had positive experiences dealing with Fabspeed and using their products.

When one of their header flanges was slightly off....they paid for shipping both ways to make it right. Speaking for myself, I have had good luck with their headers and replacement cats.

I never liked the blanket idea which is why I opted for ceramic coating. Fabspeed does not do the ceramic coating in house and the up charge is a fraction of the blanket cost.

EastMemphis likes this.
  14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I always figured blankets had about the same lifespan as header wrap. Proper metal shielding is best. Tubi do it rather well, although expensively.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The best “blankets” I’ve come across so far for our cars is Capristo’s. They don’t appear to be deteriorating, but pricey.

Next level up is shielded headers like Tubis.

Next level up from that is bespoke Inconel shielded headers from Larini or companies like Thermomet , Goodfab in the UK who can perform the work.

Our rear mid-engined cars run HOT. Pay now or pay later. Step up your game.

Here are my 355 headers and TTForce’s F430/Scud headers from Larini.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

clean512, irix, f355spider and 6 others like this.
  16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    man that is AWESOME ShineKen!!!

whatheheck and ShineKen like this.
  17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Fabspeed customer service & warranty .....Blahhahahahhahh . They are a joke.
    I will never buy Fabspeed for any of my vehicles....never!

whatheheck, Island Guy and Shark01 like this.
  18. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    The Tubi manifolds/headers are also Inconel shielded, at least for the 360 and 430.

f355spider and ShineKen like this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #19 ShineKen, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Correct. Tubi Inconel manifolds will have Inconel shields. Tubi steel manifolds will have steel shields.

The next level up part I am referring to is the bespoke insulation/shielding for each pipe, which is most effective in keeping the heat in. Not just the Inconel material.

https://www.goodfabs.com/exhaust-heat-shield-insulation

“Heat shielding carried out by GoodFabs always involves a separate layer of microthermal or microporous material between 3 and 12mm thick, which is encapsulated by a fully welded covering of dimpled 0.1mm thick stainless steel or inconel foil.

This shield is then welded directly onto the exhaust system (integral) or pressed into a special shape (clam shell) that allows it to clip over the system and fit snugly around it.”

KC360 FL likes this.
  20. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    This is sad to hear but Im glad I found this page. I was thinking of ordering there blankets but not anymore I guess.

21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I complete concur with everything that you said; it's also the advice I give out when asked. The Capristo blankets are long lasting.

ShineKen likes this.
  22. fronin

fronin Rookie

Nov 13, 2010
    Australia
    Yep more Fabspeed spin.

Despite being told smell would clear up after a couple of drives, mine persisted for many months (acrid smell burns the throat):
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fabspeed-header-blankets-ongoing-smell-and-burning-throat.616959/