Italy and Coronavirus | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Italy and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Albert-LP, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Just back last night. :( Miss Italy already..LOL
    Great time! Do not hesitate to go. Use some common sense and prudence. Roma was as always stunning. I like to end my Italy trips there before I go. Spend 3 days before I come home. Was not crazy packed in Rome, had some tremendous meals there in new ristoranti in some odd places.
    2 standouts. If you enjoy fish Trattoria La Rosetta, a dear family friend brought us there, near the Pantheon. Then our last night we went to L'Isola di Pizza, in Prati.
    Don't let the name fool you;) yes they have pizza, but what they really have is a Butcher, fresh cutting all cuts of beef, veal, lamb and roasting it in a wood burning oven that looks like a cave! Can't wait to go back in January/February!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP, greg328 and Nembo1777 like this.
  2. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    oh that pasta & truffle dish looks out of this world.

I'm leaving tomorrow, so excited.

Good to hear you had a good time...

Dai Baracca likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Im in France now.
    ZÉRO control at Roissy. Like not even asked for PCR or vaccines.
    One big mess.
    Paris does have many places asking for the pass but many bars don’t.
    One big mess.
    Ill tell you what though : life seems a lot more normal in Paris than the USA and our close to 200k a day Covid cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Have a GREAT time! Sono geloso...LOL

greg328 likes this.
  5. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Wow, complete opposite of when I landed there at the end of June! They checked passport, test result, CDC card AND I had to show them my return ticket information/confirmation, as well as where I was staying.....can't comment on the bars, but the places I ate at did ask to see my vaccine pass. Masked up going in, mask-less outside. Have fun!!!

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

They certainly check for the pass in bars and stuff but it’s not religiously. Plenty close the eyes.
    CDG was full of Americans.
    We landed from SF with flight at the same time from LA, Detroit and Chicago. 80-90% of the folks were American.
    Note: I used the European passport line at the airport so
    Maybe they didn’t check as much. Still when we went in December they checked a lot but this time was a breeze.
    Airfrance was also lenient with the mask on the plane. Sure u have to have it but they were not as strict as some us airlines if u had it dropping below ur nose ( defeats the purpose I know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dai Baracca likes this.
  7. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Flew Delta to France and Italy. They’re sticklers for the

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As for restaurants in Paris, most of them ask you for the pass and control it thoroughly. As for bars, well I don't know: I usually don't go to bars in Paris.
    As for transportation, well...it really depends; I'm taking the high speed train twice a week usually, and since August 9th, I have been controlled only twice, but very thoroughly (= they didn't let you access the Platform if you don't have your pass) the other six or seven times: nothing at all: go figure.
    Roissy being a mess is nothing surprising to me: it has always been a mess in many aspects; I hate that place with a passion; I even avoid to fly just to avoid going through Roissy, unless I'm ordered to (for my job). Haven't flown since the start of the Covid crisis, and I don't plan to; I don't miss it at all. Missing the people I usually met at the end of the flight, but flying in itself, certainly not.

Rgds

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    here In Italy things are not going bad with Covid: infection looks fully in control even with this Delta variant (crossing fingers...).

Ciao

Dai Baracca likes this.
  10. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    while I was there the infection rate was very very low, and the vaccination rate was growing. Italia seems to have it together. Personally, I believe that Italy was hit so hard initially and then subsequently in the South after the 1st "re-open" that perhaps some sort of a herd immunity is in place which is checking the Delta variant. But then again what do I know, compared with all these expert scientists;););):p

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Dai Baracca likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  13. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Any date set when Italian gov’t can allow their citizens to travel to US?

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not dwelving into politics, but I understand that the consensus among epidemiologists is that "herd immunity" is impossible to achieve with the "Delta" variant. At least it has been made abundantly clear over here.
    The different european countries are trying to balance their push for vaccination against the restrictions, lifting the later progressively with the growth of vaccination numbers (percentages), while keeping an eye on the numbers in hospitals, trying not to overburden the staff and personnel.

The most succesful -at least for the time being - is Spain, which has already 77,5% of its 45 millions inhabitants double vaccinated, and 82,5% with one dose, even if, overall, the country has paid a heavy tribute to Covid; but their level of daily new contamination was low last week (+ 3.155 daily average). Spain will lift almost all restrictions this week, except fo the numbers at lunch or dinner which should stay at 10 persons max.

Italy certainly has managed the "Delta" variant assault in 2021 very sensibly and efficiently, with a level of daily contaminations that is rather low (+ 4.243 each day on average last week) in fact, the same as Spain rapported to the size of population, but it has stayed constantly that low in Italy, whereas Spain has had high peaks in the Summer.

France, not so much, even if the numbers have been diminishing for the last three or four weeks (7.559 new contaminations on daily average last week), but again, the Summer peaks were much higher than Italy.

The U.K has adopted a different strategy, lifting all restrictions on July 19th ("Freedom Day") betting on a level of vaccination high enough to limit the influx of people in hospitals, but accepting a high level of new cases, hoping that it will not saturate the NHS, as the level of vaccination was rather high and people well protected, but they have had about 30.000 new contaminations each day for the last two months, and are still at that level today.
    (Once leading the pack in "Europe" - if you consider the U.K being in "Europe", that is...- for vaccination, the U.K is now well behind Spain, and even France)

Rgds

Dai Baracca and greg328 like this.
  15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
  16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    But no masks for the kitchen........:cool:

17. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    tritone and Dai Baracca like this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Stop it, you're killing me! :D

Alcav5 likes this.
  19. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Great pictures! was in Puglia in Sept. 2019. Amazing place!
    Matera was my favorite, cant beat the salumi there! Polignano a Mare is breath-taking as well.
    Glad you had a good time!

Alcav5 likes this.
  20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Matera was awesome.

I was there only a couple hours , no time to sit and eat a big meal.
    We had pastry early then a sandwich type of filo dough with melted ham & cheese (I cannot recall the name of it , it started with an M)

sorry for the food pics ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, Dai Baracca and tritone like this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Those last two pics remind me of a place Stanley Tucci went during his TV series.

22. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    @Alcav5 it looks like your eating a traditional Pugliese sandwich called a "puccia" , lots of different fillings from cured meats, cheeses, fish...
    the big thing is that it must be served warm...
    GREAT food pics! love the fact that in Italy breakfast (colazione) consists of pastries!!!

greg328 and Alcav5 like this.
  23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

I asked my guide. The panino we ate was una mattonella.

They were in the display case next to the panzerotti. There were so many other choices it was difficult to focus, lol

greg328 and Dai Baracca like this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ha I had the opposite experience;

I was there only a couple hours , ONLY time to sit and eat a big meal.

I flew down to Bari to inspect a Lancia Fulvia offered privately. The seller was a great guy very friendly and honest, the car was excellent so I pulled the trigger for my UK client. Then he said would you like to have lunch with my family in Matera? So we stormed on the road to Matera, he drove his Alfa station wagon flat out, we got there and had a long leisurely -need I say very good- lunch with his wife and kids...then we stormed back to Bari LOL. I did get one stop to photograph some ancient Trulli houses:) He braked on the limit, I jumped out took the photos for maybe 30 seconds, got back in the car and he redlined all five gears up LOL, great day, plus it was January much warmer down there. The Octopus was very good, very soft.

Hope to see Matera properly one day but we get to see it a little in the upcoming new Bond:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    beautiful Fulvia! what year??