"Open title" - any advice? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Open title" - any advice?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wheretheroadends, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adam K

Adam K Rookie

Jul 28, 2020
    Downers Grove, IL
    Full Name:
    Adam K
    I would have the seller and go to the DMV and do something called title only.....Once that is complete with the state move foward to your new dream purchase

2. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Dave has it. It's a Jump title, all to avoid taxes and plate fees. I have been doing Open titles for years, but I'm not selling F-cars either. At the counter, the DMV has no idea, and doesn't ask any questions in my State with 1 signature and why would they. My Dad told me to stay away from "jump" titles 45 years ago and that's what I've done. I would say rub your eyes until they're not so Starry and pass on this one. IMHO GL

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the problem with open titles and all title is that a title really doesnt convey ownership. it is a secured interest. u really need a BoS as well.

at least that is how john draneas explained it to me

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Depends on the state. Also typically if a bill of sale is to have any power has to be in notarized bill of sale. Otherwise I can walk up to any Ferrari in the parking lot of the grocery store in California which is a non notary state fill out a bill of sale and sell it to myself and bring it in to the DMV.

Arizona for example will take a notarized bill of sale with a title that is not notarized.

But if you have a Arizona title that is notarized you will not need a bill of sale unless it's from a dealer

5. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Same in NY your need a signed title as well as a signed bill of sale and depending on the state they will need a notarized letter from that states DMV saying the title is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Rule of thumb - The check or any form of payment needs to be made out the the person or entity that is on the front of the title, with the exception of a fully executed reassignment by a licensed dealer. It that case the payment must be made to the dealer as written on the reassignment. Anything other than this can be a huge issue.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So I am not recommending that you go through this transaction, that is your call. I can tell you that I just helped a friend through this buying transaction in California with no issues at DMV.

Ferrari 328 titled in New Jersey.
    Sold to a Florida dealer ...
    Sold by the FL dealer to a CA dealer
    Sold by the CA dealer to an individual in TX who never registered the car, never drove it, just put it in his garage for 5 years.
    That owner sold the car to a friend of mine in California this year.

NJ title was signed by seller and buyer (the FL dealer) and came with the car, as well as a bill of sale properly executed.
    The paperwork went to DMV, new title was issued in CA. Done.

If there has been unpaid taxes in California, that might have been different, I don't know.

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Why people do this is beyond me.

If you want to mitigate taxes then just legally do so through a Montana LLC registration for a few hundred bucks.

The seller will probably not goto the DMV and pay enormous fines and taxes just to sell you the car. Easiest thing to do for a simple, easy, and legal transaction is have the seller register the car in Montana, get the new Montana title, and sell it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    I agree and have since change my mind about pursuing the deal as it is presented

10. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    I'd consider if we were in the same state :-

11. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Agreed and who knows, maybe prices will soften up a bit (if any of you guys follow Fourwheel Trader on youtube)

12. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Wow, that's crazier than my described situation! IDK, maybe I'm now spooked or maybe it's just the wrong thing to consider. Of course, it'd be different if I was looking to buy an Accord/Camry

13. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    That I hadn't thought of