550 fair price | FerrariChat

550 fair price

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ken qv, Sep 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I know the topic is ripe for every car model right now, but anyway..
    1999 500.. silver on Bordeaux.. new tires, new clutch/TO bearing.. needs a little paint love/correction/polishing.. headlight weatherstripping needs replacement, a little leather wear, small enough to be cleaned up not needing new leather.. 34,000 miles
    Needs the belt service.
    Thanks for opinions

ralfabco likes this.
  2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #2 Ferrari55whoa, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Any other options?
    How is documentation?
    Have the fuel pumps been replaced?
    Motor mounts fresh and upgraded to 575?
    Stickies?
    Red fob?
    Grigio Titanio?

did you do a PPI? My PPI list was super minor (including a belt) and the estimate was $20k — picking it up (allegedly Saturday — after being at mechanic 25 WEEKS)…..

the real answer is somewhere between $110 to $120? Figure $130-$145 if fully serviced with good history?

Many “Ferrari guys” are focused on the magic 20k mile ceiling…..the BaT crowd is often focused on paint meter readings…..;-)

3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Considering I had a friend auction a car and in one night I watched him falsify an entire book of service records for the car from day 1, I have very little faith in service records. It looked genuine and covered EVERYTHING.
    The car I’m asking about belongs to an acquaintance with many cars and intended it for his wife.. and she did drive it many years but is done with standard shift cars now. It has some of the sticky stuff going on.. my buddy cleaned up his sticky car himself and said it’s pretty easy and he would do it. The fob is black.. I will assume 550 mounts.. fuel pumps were replaced already.. I haven’t done a PPI because I’m still trying to figure out if I should bother. I did find one bubble under the front hood (thanks Harry), but my body guy said it’s an easy fix. What he didn’t say was what’s the long term solution..‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️. That will be my next thread.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the bubbles are a result of the aluminum in contact with steel... or something like that. cannot recall. they all will have it

6. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    What does the CarFax look like?

7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I heard it was caused by trapped moisture. Mine doesn't have any bubbles in that area.

8. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    The CarFax is clean.. for the bubble, in the picture if you go straight up from the latch hook to the seam/ problem area, and then move to the right 1 inch, it looks like that, and is about the size of an oblong quarter. Just one spot.
    I also was told it was from trapped water, not dissimilar metal corrosion, but I personally have no guess.

9. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Currently the cheapest 550 on the market is $135 asking and has 39k miles i think in red with tan- not even serviced, next cheapest is $160's then they go up to the low $200's ...so i think any where in the $120-$130 range you are good even with it needing service...PS: Service does add up, mine was fully serviced rite before i picked her up and a proper service could add up, with mine ac compressor, alternator, belts, plugs, water pump and may other things ended up really being a big bill

SteveVT and ken qv like this.
  10. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    The actual color is argento nurburgring

11. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Even better. I know Grigio titanio is very popular but I prefer the more rare colors personally (even with TdF as my favorite)

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    To replace the headlight weather strip, you need to go into the 550 Barchetta parts diagram, because it is not listed in the 550 Maranello parts diagram! Just a little tip. I just replaced mine. Not very easy to do right. But way better than an old broken one. Silver and Bordeaux is nice!

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    AtomicPunk88, F456M, ken qv and 2 others like this.
  14. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Wow.. thanks. Is that info from a maintenance manual or 550 book?

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    575M Workshop Manual.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I took the glass off of the base on my 550 and that was a rather violent high risk job... Luckily, I managed to take the class off and refurbished the black and chrome inserts. Also dod the reflectors and the car looked much more «new» afterwards. These head lights are impressive and complex! No wonder they are crazy expencive.