488 for daily? | FerrariChat

488 for daily?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sunghyun7, Sep 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    I'm love the 488 styling and am curious how they would be for a daily. Is the car (engine & trans) reasonably reliable? ingress/egress pretty easy in tight spots? and does it beat you up driving down a typical local US road in crap condition? and how does the cabin size compare to 991 or some other popular cars? I currently have an F12, and that's the perfect size for me. My local dealer doesn't have 488 in stock, and I'm thinking of putting an offer on one with over 20k miles. I ideally want to put another 50-100k miles on top of it. I drive about 50miles/day, mostly freeway. Thanks in advance.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I see no issues with using it as a daily. Totally reliable and a great car. I miss mine!

430jm, italiafan and sunghyun7 like this.
  3. I daily'd a 488 for about a year.

No problems at all.

Interior cabin room is more spacious than a 991 911. The 488 is a wide car. Of course you have no rear seats.

The 488 is well dampened, rides more comfortable than a 991 911 (even without bumpy road mode).

italiafan and sunghyun7 like this.
  4. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    Yes, you can definitely daily it.
    I can’t stand driving it in traffic, but I can’t stand driving any car in traffic

It’s comfortable, roomy, and fun
    And zero problems, these cars tend to have more problems when they are not driven in my opinion, Mine has 13k miles and I enjoyed each one of them

Bas, Rexcat458 and sunghyun7 like this.
  5. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    excellent, thanks for all the responses! glad to find it's more spacious and softer than 991. sounds about perfect. I'm going to fly out to check out the car in person.

6. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Sound is better than my F8.

7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    20,000 on mine. Not a single problem.

sunghyun7 and legendd like this.
  8. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    If I could DD a 488 and not worry about what colleagues at work thought, concern about about dings, and didn't have to pick up a kid or two from activities, I would absolute daily drive a 458 / 488 / F8. No better combination of performance, comfort, and excitement.

DBomb117, rw99, 430jm and 1 other person like this.
  9. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    I used one for a DD for six months without issue other than a failed belt and squealing brakes. I replaced the 488 with another Huracan EVO which to me is a better DD

I used my F8 Tributo recently for a week as a DD while my Huracan was getting corrected and ceramic coated. It did fantastic.

10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    it’s the greatest and most reliable engine ever, same as in the challenge car in which I have done 15,000 km on track literally red lining every single gear change.

of2worlds and rw99 like this.
  11. DavidA

DavidA Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Frisco Texas
    Full Name:
    David M Alberts
    Had 2014 911 turbo loved it but not as smooth as my 2018 488 spyder

The 911 did have some more creature features like cooled and heated seats and back seat and can drive it more places and not worry about it as much as you have to with the 488

But like everybody else on this chat

There’s nothing like driving a Ferrari as it’s special and I enjoy every time I get In It and would drive it everyday if my office was more then a mile half away

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Daily drove 488 spider for over a year alternating with at that time FF, F12 mostly. The only issue for me was clearance with the 488 as it did not have a lifter. I was able to do everything I wanted to do including run errands, pick up a child but not the children,without any usability issues. As others mentioned the interior has sufficient room as does the frunk.

Well I did go to Home Depot several times, I,of course, could not use it to haul home anything large.

I will say that my 488 had the standard seats as opposed to the race seats which I’ve had in my other cars including F8 and it does make a slight difference in general.

13. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    We sold my wife's SUV and our 360 when we bought the 488. Our other car is now an RS7. The "88" will be my daily driver when we both need cars. I cannot say enough about the car. It is refined and civilized when you (or my wife) choose to drive as such, and without missing a beat, it will straighten your hair and dislocate your liver when you call upon the ponies. Just an amazing ride. It "is" going to look a little strange in the rain and/or snow when that day comes around though. I'll probably put around 4 to 6 thousand miles per year on her, and I'm looking forward to every one of them.

Note: It's also the most beautiful car ever to grace my garage. Pure pleasure just to look at.

legendd and cole328 like this.
  14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Great post…how do you like the rs7? I had an AMG E 63S that I recently traded in and got an S6. Like the car but it’s a definite downgrade sadly.

I saved a few hundred bucks a month on the lease payment, but I’m regretting it now.Thinking about changing out for the RS7 next year. Good daily driver?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    Hi Cole. The RS7 (2016) is without a doubt the finest sedan I’ve ever owned (Mercedes just don’t sing to me). The interior appointments are very stylish. The steering wheel controls are laid out usefully. The stereo is fabulous (really). And when you fold down the rear seats, it has a lot of space - actually more than my wife’s Q5, which we sold. It’s wickedly fast when you need it (faster than the 360!) Just a great car. It had just appeared on the Audi lot a day before we were to pick up the new Q5. I bought it on the spot. It will only be replaced by a newer RS7. Best full sized car ever!

16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Sounds great and thanks much for the quick reply I love the fit / finish of the S6 (2021), and assume its comparable to that of the RS7 I just miss that grunt, so likely will have to trade this one out prior to lease end.

Next for me will be to keep enjoying my F430 Spider for a couple more years, and then looking at perhaps the 488 or F8 once the madness stabilizes. While I know they are rising in value, the 458 just does not do it for me visually.

Enjoy!

17. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    I hear you about the mid-engine prices. Totally nuts. But the 360 Spider scared my wife (too edgy; too race-car like). So we bit the bullet on what I believe is a fairly unique 488 spider. Hopefully its value won't plummet (too much) when prices regain some semblance of sanity. I will tell you this: You're 430 experience is quite similar to mine in the 360. The difference between them and the 488 is nothing short of profound. The "88" is so much more refined. It's like the tolerances on everything were tightened up to the max. You may miss the "routine" fun of driving the 430, but trust me - it's on tap anytime you want in the 88. I only took the 360 out when I wanted to play; I take the 88 out whenever I can! Yeh - you'll have to get used to an entirely different exhaust note, but it's still entertaining as all get out to me.

halolo likes this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Yes… I hear you about the 430 and it’s my first Ferrari. I still get tickled every time I hit the red button and it fires up. I also love the iconic look of the engine through the rear glass. So I’m happy enjoying it for the next few years as for me it’s more of a weekend car( four kids all under the age of 17, so no time)

I have yet to drive anything beyond that, and imagine the 488 is amazing, but I think I would be frustrated by the lack of an exhaust note. I guess only time will tell.

Enjoy your car and thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I think the biggest issue you will encounter is the avoidance of other careless drivers. I mostly try to take may car out when other traffic is at a minimum for maximum enjoyment. I would otherwise take it out more frequently if not for other careless motorists.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

020147 and AD211 like this.
  20. Nafiz Ali Khan

Nafiz Ali Khan Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    Phoenix
    If you live in a safe city it would be nice. But for a daily, regulars on the street might notice.

21. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Same here. Night driving is best IMO. But at this time of year I have deer to contend with. But I love my 488! It’s a superlative car!

22. Jim Moscardini

Oct 8, 2020
    Gainesville, VA USA
    Full Name:
    Jim Moscardini
    Arguably, at any moment, we’re each probably driving the best handling, fastest stopping car within a radius of miles. I’ve avoided accidents in MGs, Fiats, Jaguars, etc. I think it’s safe to say that if we keep our heads on a swivel (Navy Carrier term) we can avoid almost all idiot encounters during normal traffic and still have light-traffic play time as well.

23. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    458 and 488 make great daily drivers. It is everyone else around you that is the potential problem

Viperjoe and DBomb117 like this.
  24. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    i have zero issues when i'm driving my acura. it's pandemonium in a ferrari--everything from karens yelling and shaking their heads when i downshift to slow down to stop for their crossing, to kids looking at and taking pic/vid of the ferrari and not looking at the road. The only solution is to floor it to get out of the situation. there is no better choice for the greater public good.

Mrpseudonym, DBomb117 and AD211 like this.
  25. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    That would make a great video! Wave at the kids making the video as your car disappears post haste ;-)