360 - Sticks are all the rage! | FerrariChat

360 Sticks are all the rage!

Discussion in '360/430' started by jlonmark, Sep 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Man, I can't believe the current market conditions. 360 sticks are 2x the price of F1. Maybe it's me, but I'd rather have 2 f1s. Don't get me wrong, I love the stick and the "clink" that it makes when you shift. Of course I'm a little sour after I sold my 360 stick years ago for less than a F1 because it was "old technology."

one4torque likes this.
  2. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Its truly preference. But yes the rage is crazy now. I still love my old F1 with the mods I have done makes up for how cool it is.

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Not exactly news. The CS was never offered with a manual. Why? It was slower no matter how you cut it. And the CS was meant to be an extra "hot rod" car. So why offer it with something slower? But others seem to prefer old tech. Preferences, as others have stated.

KC360 FL likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    buy the nicest f1 that you like and convert

Texas Forever and AandSC like this.
  5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    glad I scored mine in 2019 when the 360 was un loved!

Not sure why cs owners need to comment on the gated threads….., different cars. Both fun.

AndreB and jlonmark like this.
  7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  8. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    At least they’re not like 599s where the sticks cost 4x+ the F1 versions. o_O

jlonmark likes this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    It's speculation at this point. Of course the nicest and the best stick cars will be sought after.

But for me I have a couple of concerns: First the 360 is not the last stick car Ferrari made. While not in great numbers, the 430s with sticks are still out there. Second, as far as value, in the past most collectible/sought after Ferraris were cars that did not offer a paddle shift. So that is taken out of the equation of whether one with a stick is worth more than an F1-- this is a new market, so to speak when talking about 360s and 430s. And lastly, I still believe that as the current young folks become more affluent they will not be so enamored with the "ancient technology" of a stick in any high end exotic as they mostly will have cut their teeth on paddle shift cars or automatic sticks. We shall see... not what happens now in the ensuing few years, but in the long run of about 20 years.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ever come across a gated car converted to f1? Probably will not see this.

jlonmark likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha. Im keeping my f1 parts just in case.

one4torque likes this.
  12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    That’s good! The next craze, convert sticks to F1s! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one4torque likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Start collecting all the electro hydraulic bits!

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    F1 cars pose some additional maintenance challenges, which is something that's likely to become a bigger factor as these cars get older. Seems very unlikely to me that F1 cars will ever be more popular than manual then, or that manual conversions will stop altogether at some point. I do expect however that the current craze for manual cars will cool off a bit over time as the manual population grows.

15. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Only ~10% of cars were gated. 400-500 each of coupes and spiders for the US. So rarity drive some of it.

Additionally, the F1 cars feel rather dated because the shift speed and gearbox operation are so outdated. The F430 and 599 F1 boxes have better controller logic (still feel dated relative to modern dual clutch), but a manual is timeless.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The fast progress in single clutch to wet clutch to dual clutch to 10+ speeds trans makes the circa 2001 f1 feel dated.

perhaps someday in the future people will want to feel nostalgic w slower shifting?

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    They're 2x the price because F1 is **** technology. Nobody. NOBODY will tolerate a car that just stops and won't shift at a red light when they've been driving a Toyota Prius that just works for 200k miles or replace a clutch after 30k miles. Collect all the F1 parts because they don't get more reliable with age.

To each his own.. but the F1 is slow compared to the DCT. 458 is the way to go for anyone who wants paddles..

As far as the pricing. As an owner of an original 3-pedal car, let the prices go to the moon!

430tdf, AndreB, Need4Spd and 4 others like this.
  18. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    It’s not about “rage”.

If you drive an F1 and a Manual is like driving 2 beautiful different cars. Both equally beautiful to look at.

The driving engagement is simply “different”. And since we know that these cars are not about “speed” but more about joy of driving, it seems that the manual ranks higher.

It happens to all cars. Original NSX, the Supra, the 997 Carrera S.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

vrsurgeon and EastMemphis like this.
  19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    #19 one4torque, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Agree Andre…. Try driving a similar era m3… better in man trans.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  20. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    FYI:
    Marino Performance Motors has a 2004 red/tan gated Modena with 8500 miles for 160K

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The manual cars may lose favour with the newer generations because they didn't grow up with them. But the current 20 somethings all want manual at least in my part of the world. Which means demand will be there for a few decades yet. But even in 30 years the guy driving a manual 360/430 will be way cooler than anyone in a new paddleshift/auto/electric/self driving car.

22. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I never drove a stick shift car until my 30s. I knew If I’d ever want to own any classic cool cars, I’d have to learn, but none of my friends had sticks. So, I bought a 6mt 993 and YouTubed how to drive it. You can imagine the sellers remorse when I told the guy I bought it from that I’d have to ship it to my house because I couldn’t drive it! It took me a few years to get good, now i heel/toe reflexively. Utimately I got a gated f430 and 575m! We now own only one auto, my wife’s car.

I imagine there must be many others like me, so I think the demand for MT will stay high

hardtop, jlonmark, Need4Spd and 2 others like this.
  23. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Haha great story. The very first car I bought was manual and had only driven autos since getting my license. I was in 4th gear before I got out the driveway on the test drive. The owner was horrified and had to give me pointers. To this day I've never owned an auto car (apart from family/wife's car) and ultimately got a F430 manual too!!

Ffre92 likes this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    When you are speaking in the realm of timeless (the bigger picture) .... I'm not talking 10-20 years from now.... I'm talking about for ALL of TIME, there is no denying a Ferrari manual gated shifter is in that category. You either want the latest/greatest/fastest or you want something classic/timeless that will NEVER get played out. Beautiful and understated in a blue-chip brand like Ferrari will always have relevance. F1 paddle shifting will be topped by the next latest and greatest paddle shifter until there is no shifting at all (electric cars). A manual gated shifter can't really be topped with another gated manual shifter - hence TIMELESS.

If you want a sporty mid-engined V8 with some decent power/speed for the roads, outside of an F40, the selection from Ferrari is limited. 355, 360, and F430 and everyone knows the 355 is the best looking/best sounding one :). Can't go wrong with either of these 3.

Buy manuals. Nice try though :).

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I taught my girlfriend how to drive manual in 2 weeks. No excuses.

one4torque likes this.