360 instrument cluster OBD2 access? | FerrariChat

360 instrument cluster OBD2 access?

Discussion in '360/430' started by modificator, Sep 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Hello experts, does anyone know how to access the 360 instrument cluster through OBD2 for reprogramming? Which pin, which protocol, what addresses, which CAN bus messages do what etc.

I've been searching manuals and the Internet far and wide on that topic and found precisely zero information. So if anyone has some pointers that would be greatly appreciated. Apparently factory tools or Leonardo can do that, but I don't have an access to either of them. Thanks!

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    A guy with the handle @360trev is working on a project called "Swiss Army Knife" that's purported to do such things. Maybe you can get in the beta.

3. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    What are you trying to do exactly?

4. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Thanks @EastMemphis, yes, I've been talking with Trev, he is very knowledgeable (actually the most knowledgeable in the world regarding the 360 electronics) and a great guy. I have already been on a SAK beta waiting list for a while.

As soon as Trev releases his software most if not all of our electronics projects will become obsolete, I'm really looking forward to it :). But meanwhile I don't need all the features of the Swiss Army Knife. Just a few simple items, in this case :

@Melvin Diagnosi - I need dash reprogramming between F1 and manual. It seems the dash has not made it yet into the DYI hacking domain, so any pointer will help. Thanks

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm still not sure what you are trying to do.

For info, there is a number of data busses on the F360. The OBD2 port communicates with various systems directly, including the Instrument panel.

There is also a CAN Bus system for communication between the instrument panel, computers, etc.

1) CAN Bus lines from the Instrument Panel to: ABS ECU, F1 TCU and the RH Engine ECU.
    2) CAN Bus line between the Engine ECUs.

The CAN Bus system uses pairs of green and white wires.

Are you wanting to know which busses are used for ECU programming? @360trev should be able to tell you this.

I see you are aware of the pdf wiring diagrams for the Spider. Were you also aware of the "traditional" wiring diagrams that I have been working on?

e.g. Instrument diagram for F360 Spider (version 19):

https://www.dropbox.com/t/EdocCz13wPs0MaiM

This diagram shows some of the data lines.

The link above expires in 6 days (I'm am constantly updating/correcting the diagrams, so I won't provide a permanent link)

6. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    @Qavion, yes, I'm aware of the pdf diagrams (I've posted the best one I have on the Technical Chat), but I have not been aware of your instrument diagram - it is just AWESOME, thank you! :)

If @360trev could chime in with any message formats/protocols that would be fantastic, but meanwhile let's complete the wiring. I see clearly the Instrument Panel K-Line, L-Line and which pins on the OBD2 they go to. I see CAN+/CAN- from the 12 pin connector.

But for the completeness, your Instrument Panel 8 pin connector pins 7&8 (pre-setting for CAN+/CAN-) are not connected - are those not useful or the diagram has not been completed for them yet?

Also, while at it, I've tried to find a complete OBD2 pin out and surprisingly I could not find any :-(

So below is my first attempt. "Empty" means not connected, "Ferrari" means model specific functions.

Do you know where OBD2 pins 6/7 and 14/15 connect to on your diagram (somehow I can't find it)? Also what are and where do the pins 8/11/12 go? Thanks!

Qavion likes this.
  7. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    OBD2 Pins for 2002 360 Modena USA version. Ferrari = Model Specific.

1. Ferrari L-line Pin 7 of Instrument Panel 12 pin connector

2. Empty

3. Ferrari K-line Pin 6 of Instrument Panel K-line, 12 pin connector

4. Chassis ground

5. Signal ground

6. ISO15765-4 CAN-Bus High

7. ISO9141-2 K-line or??? ISO14230-4 KWP2000 F-Line

8. Ferrari ???

9. Empty

10. Empty

11. Ferrari ???

12. Ferrari ???

13. Empty

14. ISO15765-4 CAN-Bus Low

15. ISO9141-2 L-Line or??? ISO14230-4 KWP2000 L-line

16. Constant +12V

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's a list I compiled for the 2003 F360 Spider OBD2 port:

1. Ferrari L-line Pin 7 of Instrument Panel 12 pin connector and via splices to Window ECU and ABS/ASR ECU
    2. Empty
    3. Ferrari K-line Pin 6 of Instrument Panel K-line, 12 pin connector and via splices to Window ECU and ABS/ASR ECU
    4. Empty
    5. Ground
    6. Immobiliser ECU
    7. L & R Motronic ECU and F1 TCU
    8. Roof ECU and Suspension ECU
    9. Empty
    10. Empty
    11. Airbag ECU
    12. HVAC ECU
    13. Empty
    14. HVAC ECU
    15. F1 TCU
    16. Live (fused) battery power.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I don't know what the protocols are or if they are hi/lo. Also, the diagrams don't say if they are USA or Euro.

modificator likes this.
  9. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Super, thank you!

Even though as per the attached Ferrari recall I think Pin 4 should be grounded not Empty. And a purist would say Ferrari should in the recall run a wire to chassis ground for Pin 4 instead of simply connecting it to signal ground on Pin 5 but probably it does not matter in practical terms and I'm guessing Ferrari wanted to make it cheaper and simpler rather than correct.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

Ah, thanks, I didn't realise that USA modification applied to the F360 also.

Basically there is a jumper wire between pins 4 & 5 (so that they have a common earth).

modificator likes this.
  11. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I'm very interested in this, please let me know what you come up with.
    I guess you know you can do it with an SD-2.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I missed this question. The 360 Coupe & Spider wiring hookup diagrams don't show any wires on pins 7 & 8. The F430 uses these, however.

Do you know if the SD-2 is plugged into the OBD2 port for all systems. On older cars (e.g. F355), the SD tool was plugged into the OBD2 port and into the individual computers (HVAC, Suspension ECU, etc)

13. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    As far as I know, yes. I have a friend that has access to an SD-2 but it lives in NJ and doesn't make to his shop in Boca very often. I'll call him tomorrow and ask him how he did it.

Qavion likes this.
  14. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    @Qavion @duskybird thank you. Getting some info from that friend with SD2 will be great. Below is a random photo of SD2 (Maserati, Ferrari similar), which shows many other connectors. And a page from the SD3 manual shows a bunch of non OBD2 connector with a comment "for SD2 type diagnostics. Plus there is another comment about the cars before "Quattroporte and 612". So knowing nothing about the SD tools my guess would be that the newer (starting Quattroporte and 612) can fully be programmed through OBD2, but our cars need a few other connectors for a job :-(. At least by the factory design, maybe @360trev or someone else found a direct way through OBD2 only.

For example CAN pins 4&5 from the 12 pin connector don't seem to be present on OBD2. Plus there is pin 12 of the 12 pin connector labeled as "for Digitek" and Digitek is the manufacturer of SD2 for Ferrari. SD2 is probably using that pin.

Qavion likes this.
  15. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    @duskybird - has your friend replied regarding SD2 programming? The first question for him would be if it is all done through OBD2 (presumably pins 1&3) or with an additional connector, and if so, where is that connector being plugged in.

From the diagram it would be the 12 pin connector 6E on the back of the instrument cluster - meaning removal of the cluster to access it.

Looking more at the diagrams, CAN pins 4&5 go to ABS/F1/Engine, so likely only to collect the display info, not used to program. So potentially only the Digitek pin 12 would be used for programming if anything except OBD2 is required. Thanks.

16. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Looks like SD2 is only using OBD2 for the instrument cluster

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you mean that the only thing that can be programmed via the OBD2 port is the instrument cluster? i.e. everything else must be reprogrammed via other methods (e.g. chip replacement/reflashing).

You still haven’t told us what you want to do, other than reprogram the instrument cluster. Anyway, it sounds like you need an SD tool and the appropriate software.

18. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    That is an interesting interpretation :). If not clear from the context, here is a more grammatically correct statement:

"Looks like SD2 is using only OBD2 for the instrument cluster."

Regarding what I want to do, as I stated above on Wednesday "I need dash reprogramming between F1 and manual." Thanks!

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It still sounds (to me) like you're saying that you can't use the SD2 tool to do anything else other than programming a specific computer. That would make the OBD2 port and the SD2 tool next to useless. Or are you saying the SD2 tool only uses OBD2 protocol for one specific function and other protocols for other functions?

Sorry, I missed your F1 to manual statement.

20. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    OBD2 has been forced into existence by government regulations to provide a uniform way to do a number of things (primarily emissions related) so any tool (SD2 included) can be used to read/clear data from various modules, and majority of all functions of SD2 are done through OBD2.

Volumes can be written on the definition, evolution and adoption of OBD2 but to summarize it in one paragraph, it has become mandatory in USA (and most of the world) starting with cars model year 1996. Before that, many professional dealer diagnostics tools used proprietary connectors to various modules. From 1996 some of those functions were forced to be made through OBD2, but few were still left with additional proprietary connectors. Over the years those proprietary connectors started to disappear and pretty much all of them are gone now. Please look at several connectors in the SD2 photo I posted above, those are for functions not done through OBD2.

So the cars designed in the 1990s (360 included) are transitional cars - some of them still used proprietary connectors in addition to OBD2, and continued to use them until early 2000s, some gradually moved all the functions to OBD2. Please note that initially K-Line and L-Line were mandatory (pins 7&15), CAN Bus became mandatory (pins 6&14) only in 2008 etc.

As a result, a first step when reprogramming the instrument cluster in 360 from F1 to Manual is to determine how to access it - is it through OBD2 only, or some other older connector, or both. Now we know that the answer is "OBD2 only".

I hope that this (rather lengthy) description clarifies the topic.

Qavion likes this.
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Actually OBDII became mandatory on 1 January 1996 and was not directly related to model year. Otherwise manufacturers would have called their cars MY 95 for quite a while, especially Ferrari. An example of this is no 1996 MY 456 GTs because 5.2 was not ready for the 456 by January 1996. 5.2 was definitely ready for the F355 on time, the volume seller at the time.

But you need an SD2 or equivalent to change the instrument panel from F1 to manual. Or send the panel to someone who specializes in converting Ferraris from F1 to manual, to Rod at FAI, or to Trev.

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I haven't read this whole thread yet but I just wanted to mention I can modify the engine firmware in such as way that you don't need to touch the instrument cluster...

Mimmo Blue, Qavion and hessank like this.