Can anyone identify what this harness go to? 88TR | FerrariChat

Can anyone identify what this harness go to? 88TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JPS 355, Sep 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JPS 355

JPS 355 Rookie

Jul 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jon Parisani
    Hello all. Just picked up a 88TR. While trying to track down a non functioning temp gauge I found this group of unplugged correctors. They are a ways away from the front temp sensor so not sure if they are related. This TR has what looks to be an aftermarket catalyst and the loose connectors are pointed in that direction hanging off the pass cylinder head. Can anyone identify them?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    o2 sensors

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    The black and white two-pin connectors are a +12V and ground to run the internal resistance heater of each O2 sensor. The single wires with the male spade connector are where the single output wire from O2 sensors connect to send their "Lambda" signal to their respective injection ECU. Are there no O2 sensors mounted in the inlet of your aftermarket cats?

JPS 355 and flash32 like this.
  4. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Welcome and congrats! Lets see some pix?

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #5 vincenzo, Sep 22, 2021
    When cats overheat, the O2 sensors send a signal to your your overheat warning lights on the dash. Often removed or disabled to eliminate the warning light. Looks like your cats have a bung.

Overheated cats are typically caused by an over rich condition or cam timing that is off.

Check these root cause issues!

JPS 355 likes this.
  6. JPS 355

JPS 355 Rookie

Jul 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jon Parisani
    Thanks for the info guys. Kind of what I was expecting as the O2 bungs in the cat has caps/plugs. I don't have any check engine lights on at this time although the car is 2 days old to me. Is this a common practice on TRs? and why would the check engine light not be on for missing O2s? I am working on the history of this car as the previous owner has past and the estate lost the service records although they told me it has 4 years and 100 miles on an engine out service. Evidently an old Italian long time Ferrari mechanic in Brooklyn is the guy who has serviced the car.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Sep 22, 2021
    Because TR don't have any check engine lights. Without O2 sensors (or by unplugging the O2 sensors), it will run in open-loop mode like a KE-Jet without Lambda. It's not a common practice and usually only done if a car is having a closed-loop operation problem.

What they do have are cat over-temp "slow down" warning lights that should go thru a short self-test when you turn the key "on" -- i.e., they light up for a second, or two, and then go out. If it doesn't do this self-test (i.e., these slow down lights never come "on" at all), either the slow down ECUs have failed or someone has unplugged them (they are mounted on the backside of the small cover above the 1-6 Accumulator on the frame inside the RR suspension. These slow down ECUs use the thermocouple mounted in the pre-cat outlet (or cat outlet) to sense the exhaust gas temperature:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

These are an early style of the slow down ECUs where the thermocouple leads are attached by nuts/screws (the later style has a pigtail connector):

This is the later style slow down ECU (with better connectors):

8. JPS 355

JPS 355 Rookie

Jul 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jon Parisani
    Ahhhhh thanks for the info Steve. Wow suprising there is no type of fault light set with these unhooked.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is the self-test of the slow down warning lights working? Do read your TR OM for a lot of useful information -- it's not an over-sized phone book, like a modern car, and really has a lot that's good to know.

10. JPS 355

JPS 355 Rookie

Jul 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jon Parisani
    No slow down light that I saw on the test drive. I do recall that from my 355. I am getting myself familiar with this manual tonight.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    As Steve says, check for lights on start up to make sure that no dodgy previous owner has pulled the light bulbs.

Having said that, the previous owner of my F-car had rewired the instrument panel so the lights came on during startup (even though the sensors were not hooked up). The lights went out as normal after startup, but fortunately I discovered this ticking time bomb before it exploded.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I confused myself. Maybe this will help:

Jon, your pic showed the connectors for the O2 sensors. Steve’s comments are correct about the open loop etc.

The bung on your cats as shown here is for the temp probe. The temp probes connect at the location shown in Steve’s pics for the Slow Down ECUs. The O2 bung is a much wider, female thread.

My correction…. The temp probes turn on the overheat light on your dash. As I understand it, they do not talk to the FI unit, they only turn on your overheat dash light.

The O2 sensors provide data for your fuel injection system as Steve points out.

Two independent systems.

Steve…. Jump in if I got it wrong.

turbo-joe and JPS 355 like this.
  13. JPS 355

JPS 355 Rookie

Jul 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jon Parisani
  14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Nothing wrong with that, but the OM gives more practical useful information about how to operate, info about what to expect when operating, etc.. Be warned that the basic TR WSM covers the early euro version TR (F113A engine K-Jet without Lambda injection). For the US version TR (F113A040 engine KE-Jet with Lambda) there is a supplement to Chapter D that has additional pages D61 - D106 -- give a shout if you need that and I can post a link to a pdf copy (and you'd need a copy of the 509/88 US TR wiring diagram).

turbo-joe and JPS 355 like this.
  15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The temp sensor is upper left. O2 bung on lower right. Most of these cats can be mounted with flow direction going either way. Confirm that the temp sensor is downstream.

JPS 355 likes this.