550 front hood corrosion | FerrariChat

550 front hood corrosion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ken qv, Sep 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Bubbles under the front hood are common I’m told by some owners plus your usual YouTube videos.. ok so maybe it’s an easy fix, but what is the modification needed to prevent a reoccurrence? What strategy are owners using?

2. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Make sure to towel it dry after washing or a wet run - it’s a water trap.

May be a more scientific way of doing it but this helps for a non-daily driver.

3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I wonder if leaving the hood open for some time after washing would help.. or a leaf blower to help force some air in there

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    That's how I do it. I avoid spraying directly at the front of the hood facing the car. After drying the exterior I lift the hood and wipe off the underside then take my time wiping off the accessible areas of the engine. That should minimize water getting trapped in the hood's leading edge and enough time to move it out if a few drops got in there.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Aluminum, so it cannot rust. Can corrode, but probably not from water. Galvanic corrosion, possibly.

6. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Doesn't moisture promote galvanic action by acting as electrolyte? If so then by eliminating the electrolyte one could substantially reduce galvanic corrosion.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    correct. it is a hard bubbling from the aluminum coming in contact with some other metals.

they all have some sort of it or will

9. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    got rid of the corrosion on the 550, had it under the lip if the hood and also against the rubber trim of the windscreen... it was like magic.

10. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    Curious how big of an issue this is. If you see this in one area of a vehicle, and it is fixed properly, how likely will it reappear in other areas of the car? Thanks.