Schumacher September 15 Netflix | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Schumacher September 15 Netflix

Discussion in 'F1' started by E60 M5, Aug 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I've always said that MS as ahead of his time. The things he did when he came to Ferrari, his work ethic was unbelievable and almost unheard of in F1. That was, IMO, Michael's biggest asset. He wasn't necessary the fastest driver out there, but he was the best at getting the most out of the car, and this boiled down to his worth ethic and testing commitments.

This clearly demonstrates, when he came back with Merc, testing was banned, and he never saw the old MS anymore, most likely because his biggest asset was taken away from him. I'm fairly confident, if testing was as it was, MS could have been fighting regularly for podium. If he can win in that POS Ferrari 96 car, as per Irvine, the Mercs he had was much better shape.

SimCity3 and Bas like this.
  2. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just finished watching it. My main take away from the documentary is just how integral he was to Ferrari’s success. I’ve read many comments here stating how hard he worked behind the scenes and the documentary really verified those claims.

ago car nut and SimCity3 like this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Well I'm sure he helped develop the cars in-season for Mercedes, which went on to win 7 WCCs in a row and counting...

Giallo 550, SimCity3 and Remy Zero like this.
  4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think if you listened to Beyond the Grid podcast with the Brackley Boys & Tom Clarkson, you are right on this. Alas, many people do not know this.

Giallo 550 and SimCity3 like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Michael, Brawn, and Byrne were all integral to the domination Ferrari achieved.

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I thought it positioned him a bit more as "anti-political" and willing to stir the pot if he felt the FIA/Formula 1 was in the wrong. I don't know that the Senna documentary necessarily endorsed his position (unless you connect with the 'single-voice-versus-the-machine' trope)

7. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah, I'm not trying to take anything away from either of them. I'm just saying it confirms the stories of Schumacher working with mechanics until 10 at night to develop the car.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I liked it a lot, but I wish they did a fitting soundtrack like the Senna movie had. At first I was surprised to see how little coverage they gave the 2001-2004 Ferrari years, but at the end it made sense when his wife spoke about how he was just cruising after the first championship with Ferrari and enjoying his time and not as much drama like earlier years for filmmakers to run with.

9. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And Todt (a bit?) :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I found it pretty mediocre. Definitely not on Senna’s documentary level. Boring like MS’s personality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuvolari likes this.
  11. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Also loved the bit where James Allen said after that first championship he felt he didn’t owe anyone anything any more and his driving changed to another level, without that pressure.

Relaxed then, he drove with his heart, passion and doing what he loved to do. Untouchable.

Picchu88, Tackleberry, Bas and 2 others like this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Few (random) takeaways for me:

1/ Hakkinen seemed a genuinely nice guy.

2/ Coulthard pretty much admitted that he was responsible for the crash in the rain at Spa in ‘98, saying he was “partly” to blame. So, in other words, he lifted off on purpose as Brawn stated.

3/ The incident at Magny-Cours, 1992, when Senna—acting as the self-appointed doyen of driver safety—took it on himself to preach to Schumi and nobody told him to f-off. Especially considering he basically torpedoed Prost ON PURPOSE in Japan a couple of years earlier, the scumbag.

4/ Corinna’s interviews are very poignant. She’s very strong but obviously heartbroken.

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Senna was as boring in life as he was an ****** on track. No personality and no life outside of racing.

Bas likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Yeah but documentary was good. For meeting meeting Michael in real life in Monterey I can confirm that he wasn’t very friendly

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm sure the doc will mean different things to everyone... It's worth a watch if you're a Shummy fan and want to understand a bit of his career... I'm not sure what they could have cut, but there was certainly things they could have added...I guess that's always the case with someone like himself...

Personally, I watched it to get a better understanding of the man. I think there is plenty of footage of historical races if that's what you're after....I want to understand about the personality....It delivered, somewhat....

I would have liked them to detail his incident, as I have yet to feel confident I have an understanding of what really happened. And, I think those close to him feel no compulsion or obligation to share...I can understand that perspective, but he was a public figure. And, as such, it would go a long way to heal his fans if there was more transparency on what really happened that day, and how he is today....I think we can speculate based on the way his wife stated that he's not really here, but why the documentary didn't retrace the incident confuses me... I simply think it makes him relatable and would remind people of how fragile we all are...They side-stepped it, I presume at the request of the family and the pride of Michael...

Though, I don't think the family understands how often I use his tragedy as a remembrance that no matter how much money you have, and your station in life, it can all change in an instant... I think it was an opportunity lost to express this so we all remember to be appreciative of everyday...

Natkingcolebasket69 and craze like this.
  16. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Absolutely agree!!

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed!
    As far as his accident it truly was bad luck. He even had a helmet.
    I do wonder what state he is in. Does he understand but can’t communicate? Seems hard to tell.
    Based on what the doc shares Im pretty sure he would hate to be inactive like that. Unsure if he would want to live that life

18. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I found 'Schumacher' to be underwhelming. It was neither a documentary or a dramatic piece the way 'Senna' was ('Senna' is NOT a documentary which is why it is so misunderstood).

The director and producers had access to fantastic resources but it felt like they did not know what to do with it. The whole production seemed dis-jointed with no real telling of a story.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My exact sentiments.

His wife seemed to be an exceptional lady albeit made easy with millions of $$ to cushion the blow.

Hated the patronising headmaster antics of Senna, not sure it needed that.

According to a friend who deals with these, most people in this condition are a skeleton of there former selves.

Would I watch it again - No but it made a few more bucks for the Schumacher family who must be bleeding cash uncontrollably.

20. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  21. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    With a 800M net worth, I don't think it's a problem.

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The bottom row of photos is more to my liking.

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Agreed, but we all just want to earn just another $ regardless of wealth.

24. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    The interviews at the end when his wife and children were speaking were tough to watch. I feel so sorry for them.

25. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I watched it twice. Once the day it was released and a second time a few days later with my teen Tifosi daughter. I think she better appreciates the remarkable nature of Schumi in ways I couldn't fully explain previously.

We are both avid skiers and the footage of Meribel was very numbing.

Matt LaMotte likes this.