It's been fun | FerrariChat

It's been fun

Discussion in '348/355' started by ernie, Sep 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #1 ernie, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    After nearly 20 years of ownership I no longer own my 348.

I named it Roxanne after the song made famous by the musical group The Police. Let's just say my 348 had a hard life before I got it, so the name was fitting. When I bought Roxanne I had never ever worked on a Ferrari before. After having paid multiple thousands of dollars to have someone else work on it, I decided I wanted to learn to fix and maintain it myself. Be careful of what you wish for because you just might get it. :D I also decided that I would share what I learned with this wonderful little community I had found on the internet called FerrariChat.

Back in 2001 we all know what happened on 9/11. I was so EXTREMELY mad, I had to stop watching and listening to the news. Coming home from an outing one evening I noticed a Diablo parked in front of a neighbors house. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, not a Ferrari. Anyway, I went to have a look at it when out stepped the driver who was visiting my neighbor. After a brief chat about the Lambo and he asked me if I wanted to for a ride. "HECK YEAH I'll go for a ride!" After a very spirited ride that was IT, I was going to finally pull the trigger and look for my boyhood dream, a Ferrari. It would help keep my mind off the awful event that took place a couple of days earlier. After a few days of searching I found my 348. Booked plane ticket and flew with my brother to pick up Roxanne. He and I drove it all the way home laughing and having a great time. After all it was the many years of watching Magnum P.I., and especially Miami Vice, that we dreamed of driving a Ferrari, and now we were in MY Ferrari! During my research for my 348 I came across Ferrarichat. Back in 2001 there was only around 1200-1400 members. Man has this place grown! Thanks to Rob creating this site it enabled me to meet and make friends with so many wonderful people all across the world.

One of the very first Fchat members I made friends with was fatbillybob. He was the only owner I met that had actually done an engine out major on a 348, and he was more than happy to share what he knew with me. A tip of the hat goes to Nick, of Nick's Forza Ferrari. Nick was kind enough to let me pick his brain when I was getting ready to do my first engine out, and happily took my many calls. Nick also got me in touch with an old school mechanic by the name of Joseph Theiler (rest in Peace). Theiler's mechanical resume was very impressive, and he was happy to share his vast knowledge with me. Between having Theiler, some advice from Eugenio, another long time Ferrari mechanic named Bill, plus fatbillybob's help I tackled the engine out major. Thanks for all your guidance fellas. After that O'l Chubbalard and where friends and still friends to this day. A few years later the gearbox needed a rebuild, and off to fatboy's house it was. Well one weekend during the rebuild Plugzit decided to turn up and help. The antics, laughing, and balls busting that went on was great. We had so much fun hanging out and turning wrenches. I have to give a shout out to Danial-San, of Ricambi America, he helped me source difficult to find parts we needed for the rebuild, and has always been a delight to deal with. One weekend on my way to billybob's, I asked if he had called Plugzit, and if it would be the "Three Stooges" working on the gearbox again? That was it, The Stooges were formed. Thanks Chubba for sharing what you know, and Plugzit for the heckling. Because of the inspiration and help I got, I made it my mission to pay it forward. I was determined to take the fear out of owning a Ferrari, and in particular a 348. So started my documentation of virtually everything I did on the car from that point forward, and posting it here for the world to see.

As I said I've made so many friend because of owning a Ferrari, and because of FerrariChat. Some in I know in person and some still to meet in person. In addition to those already mentioned, in no particular order, and please for give me if I forget you name:
    vvasallo, gothspeed, angelis, Andy hls, anunakki, nightlife, FSM348, AceMaster, Darth550, sherpa, Rob'Z, Sevminasyan, steved033, TheOnlyest, 2NA, jetfuel79, Steve Maxwell, ag997, SoCal1, tf308, tommygunct, billyboyeuro, JSinNOLA, Brent Latchett, time, 3forty8, m5guy, guss23, jgoodman, darkkaangel, Jon Von Bon, lndshrk, jferrante, JoeTeC, Ferraripilot, whyte, phrogs, bradwilliams, WilliamH, Surfari, mandaracing, yelcab, porphy, bushwhacker (RIP), PAP 348, LouB747, Kaivball, Monteman, copterjon, dahveedem, 285ferrari, jm348, ryalex, Ferrarium, Texas Forever, No Doubt, mwr4440, wrs, GTHill, energy88, ross, Napolis, JohnnyS, donv, beachbum, FerMaz, fmaderi, JM280z, guss23, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Again please forgive me if I forgot to mention your name.

Owning the "redheaded stepchild" of the Ferrari world was an education. When I bought it I wanted to learn how to work on my Ferrari myself. Be careful of what you wish for because you just may get it. I basically got a "degree" in mechanics working on that 348. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought it when I did. However, had I not bought Roxanne I wouldn't know what I now know. So it has been vastly more of a blessing than a burden. The 348 is actually a fairly simple car to work on once you've cut your teeth. Like every car it has it's idiosyncrasies, it's plus' and minus'. One of the minus' is it's lack of power from the factory. Well then I began all the modifications, the testing, the money, the time, to extract out as much as I could from the three decade old technology. A bit sadly for me that journey has come to an end. I have always said the 348 is a diamond in the rough. Performance wise from the factory it is nothing special at all compared to modern cars. I am fully convinced Ferrari intentionally restricted the F119's power potential via the VERY restrictive intake system. Because had it made the power I have seen it make it would have embarrassed it's big brother, the Testarossa, on the track. Now we can't have lil' bro showing up big bro. So they suffocated the engine. The F119 is a potent little engine, and is fully capable of make 400+hp with modern upgrades, and I have witnessed it first hand. The handling is another area it doesn't shine with the factory settings. Get the suspension and brakes setup just right and it has go-kart like handling. I hope others will pick up the torch and continue the modification process to show what a hidden gem the 348 is. The best kept lil' secret in the Ferrari world.

After having owned a Ferrari for roughly two decades, it feels a bit weird not having one in my garage. Kind of like not having your wedding ring on your hand for the first time, a bit of a naked feeling. Anyway, the new owner is kerrhill. I officially welcomed him to the 348 Brotherhood, and to his first time of Ferrari ownership. He is the right type of owner to take over my long time project, and I know Roxanne will be in good hands. Please welcome him, help him, and show him what the 348 Brotherhood is all about.
    On that note.

It's been fun.

Ernie

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I remember my phone call to you frantically trying to figure out what would eventually be a bad ignition coil.

You graciously took my call and walked me back from a cliff.

You have been an asset to the brotherhood and your posts, wisdom and instruction will remain in these pages forever.

Best to you in the future Brother!

Dahveedem

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ernie likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds almost like a farewell, Ernie? I sincerely hope you stick around (on the forum). I'm sure you'll continue to be a valuable contributor for many years to come (if that is your choice of course). I understand, of course, that owning a particular car can help maintain interest, but your wisdom and experience will always be appreciated here ;)

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ernie to say that you are an asset is the understatement of the century.

As I said in the "thank you Ernie" thread, thank you for everything.

cardude442, Husker and ernie like this.
  5. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Nice post Ernie. Thanks for all the info and am happy to say I've met you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ernie likes this.
  6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm still going to call you.

sjd

Julia and ernie like this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You won't be the only one LOL

ernie likes this.
  8. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sorry to hear you sold your car. I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past 13-14 years. Are you getting something different? As Ian said stick around, you are part of the family.

AceMaster and ernie like this.
  9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #9 ernie, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    We bought a Granturismo Sport a few years ago. Wonderful car. The engine was developed by Ferrari, and was initially based on the same engine in the F430. Though the F430 has a flat crank and the GT a cross crank. Maserati had the engineer who was head of engine development for Ferrari’s F1 team, during to dominate Schumacher days, head the updates to the engine, starting in model year 2013, one of which was punching it out to 4.7L. It’s a handsome car on the outside, elegant on the inside, sounds fantastic, and has plenty of point a squirt power. Not the fastest car on the road but still plenty fast, as it’s meant to be a gentleman’s grand touring car. The British tv show Top Gear, tested the performance model (MC Stradale) and it went around the Top Gear track only 0.2 of a second slower than the F430. Maserati hit the nail on the head with the GT. So enough though I won’t have a Ferrari in the garage I still have a fantastic Italian car to taking it’s place, it’s “cousin” if you will.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pepsi10, jimmym, tres55 and 3 others like this.
  10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Congrats on 20 years of F car ownership Ernie, thanks for sharing your informative posts. Helped a lot when I did my triple seals and throw out bearing.

AceMaster and ernie like this.
  11. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Pepsi10, AceMaster and ernie like this.
  12. MyBackHurts

MyBackHurts Rookie

Aug 11, 2021
    New here and just wanted to say thanks for all of your contributions. I've read several of your threads in anticipation of buying my first Ferrari and have really enjoyed them.

ernie and Mike Morrissey like this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    See, this is what happens when you move to Indiana.... Stick around homie.

ernie likes this.
  14. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    Agreed on the Maserati. I have an S and the car is such a joy to drive. That sound! My 348 is a different animal, more analog but both give me what I need depending on my mood. Hope to see you in a red car again someday!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie, Qavion and tres55 like this.
  15. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Thanks for the memories Ernie. I still have my "Stooge" wrench proudly hanging in my garage from the 2010 348-355 meet on the boat, what a great time and memory. :)

Attached Files:

Pepsi10 and ernie like this.
  16. kerrhill

kerrhill Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Noblesville Indiana
    Full Name:
    Mike the Bourbon guy
    Man, what big shoes I get to fill!

I have always been a car guy, and have restored many "challenging" cars; jaguar mk1, mgb, MGA coupe, 68 Charger, and a host of old motorcycles.

I promise I won't bring the depth that Ernie does to the forum, but I promise to drive him nuts as I recondition and drive the heck out of it. Hopefully that will keep him posting here!

Thanks Ernie. After 14years lurking on these forums I can finally actively participate.

Texas Forever, Pepsi10, ernie and 3 others like this.
  17. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ernie congratulations on the new car purchase. Nice car and nice color.

ernie likes this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Your list looks like my list! The 348 is gonna be cake for you.

sjd

kerrhill likes this.
  19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Thank-you, Ernie. On occasion you've been of great help to me and my F355 Challenge.

Barry

ernie likes this.
  20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The bad guy!! :)

Congrats on the sale of the 348 Ernie. :)

You have been a HUGE asset here on the forum and I am proud to call you my friend. :)

Take care and talk soon brother. :)

ernie likes this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Mike, did you get a PPI on that car? Come to think of it, you don't need a ppi on that car. Its entire life is here on Fchat.

ernie likes this.
  22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hahahaa!

Funny boy Mitchell

23. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thank you guys for the kind words.

24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As an owner for 4 years and a need to do a “few” things; I’ve often found myself on one if your threads.

So thanks; invaluable support. If your ever in the UK I’ll happily stand you a pint or two.

looking forward to hearing about your next Ferrari :)

ernie likes this.
  25. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'll hit you up next time I'm headed over.