355 - Hacking the F1 TCU | Page 5 | FerrariChat

355 Hacking the F1 TCU

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wolfgang72, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    With a unlimited budget.

2. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I seriously don’t think any budget will give the intended outcome. There are three components working in tandem. Engine power, gearing system and the electronics(F1) gear selector. The bottleneck is the engine power. The electronic gear selector commands shifting a fraction of a second. The gearing mechanism can change gear a fraction a second. Even if these two components ability to perform their function a fraction of a second faster, it does nothing making the car go faster because engine power is the limiting factor. Suppose a 355 takes off from a stand still. Driver accelerates shifting rapidly from neutral to 6th gear. The car would stall because it has to come up to speed before shifting to the next higher gear can happen and the car ability to reach speed depends on engine power. The F1 shifting time is not the weakest link. In fact the F1 electronics shifter and the single clutch is far more faster than engine power output in the 355, the 360 and the 430. Only in the 458, engine power requires a faster gearing mechanism in a dual clutch. The F1 electronics relatively remain the same.

Now, the intended purpose here is faster acceleration. One area I think achievable is redirecting air intake into the engine. Existing air tubes is made of restrictive material and stretches about 5 feet in length. Shorten the tubes to less than 3 feet, reposition the tubes opening below the MAF at bottom of engine and replace air tubes with smooth internal cavity. Im will to bet a dozen donuts, 10 to 20 horses increase. But what do I know Im not a mechanic. Only a student of Physics and Electricity.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    Yes, it is still alive. You will be updated soon, if you like.

It is not.

brogenville and Qavion like this.
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes, please keep us updated on the progress.

5. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    Part 12 of Hacking the F1 TCU

When I started this project I was aware that there would be little progress in the beginning. And this turned out to be right. For a long time there was nothing exciting I could present to my client. On the other hand I knew that at some point I will achieve a breakthrough. And it came when I had all parts together to finally understand the shift process.

For a start it roughly works the way you might expect it: Disengage current gear, select shift track of target gear and then engage it (I leave out clutch control here to simplify things).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

However doing it like this, shifting would be dead slow. Even slower than it is now. That's why the engineers at Magneti Marelli implemented some tricks. So this is how our TCU performs a gear shift in reality:

Disengage current gear
    The very first action, even before the clutch gets operated at all, is to preload the control arm into the direction of disengagement. The target of this is to get rid of any wear or play from the mechanics (e.g. joints, shift collar etc.) and to have a some amount of pressure ready. Shifting has not started yet here and the current gear is still transmitting torque.
    Few 10 ms later the TCU opens the clutch. It may happen that the preload causes the gear to disengage already now. However usually the next step is to perform the actual disengagement. Therefore the TCU drives the solenoids with a decent current. The amount is proportional to the remaining distance to travel. That is at first it sets up a high current (which results in a high force). Then as the gear disengages, the current is gradually reduced until the gear pops out. This way the risk of overshooting to the adjacent gear is mitigated.

Select target gear
    Basically the TCU just activates the solenoids to select the right shift track. There is nothing more to it, as all affected solenoids are of On/Off type. That is the TCU cannot control the force that they apply.
    However there is something worth mentioning about the point in time the selection process starts:
    - If the shift track shall remain the same (e.g. 5-6 shift), selection already starts during the previous disengagement phase. Due to that the control arm is pushed to the desired selection position right from the beginning. This way no time is wasted for selection.
    - If the shift track shall change (e.g 4-5 shift), the TCU starts selection when the gear is close to be - but not yet fully is - disengaged. This is possible as both, the hydraulic and the mechanic system, have some inertia to overcome. That is from the moment the TCU triggers selection until the control arm starts moving, it takes some milli seconds. Interestingly a calibration switch in the software disables this feature though (such that the TCU waits for a slow but safe disengagement).

Engage target gear
    As soon as the control arm reaches the desired shift track, engagement begins. A particular current profile is applied for that. First the TCU drives the designated solenoid with an initial current. It is then gradually increased up to a maximum current, which is kept for a certain amount of time. During all that, the gear usually engages at some point. If not, the TCU applies a boost current. This is the last resort where it demands everything the hydraulic is capable of! Now the gear should finally engage. Then the shift process ends. (Otherwise the shift is retried or, if the problem persists, aborted.)

Each of the phases mentioned is implemented in a dedicated state machine. With another state machine acting as a master. Moreover various limp home strategies exist that jump in e.g. when a sensor fails. Due to this it was so difficult and time consuming for me to discover and understand all that in detail. However now I eventually reached the right spot to proceed with my main goal!

By the way, all parameters (current levels, timings, position thresholds etc.) are completely variable. For example the mentioned current level for engagement depend on shift direction, throttle position and engine speed. Additionally there is a special support for upshifts: Depending on the drivers inputs a "shift style" is derived and according to that an "overdrive" is fired. With that the gear is really punched in! Try it out, you will notice a difference according to
    the table below.

- Normal -> No overdrive (100%)
    - Advanced -> Moderate overdrive (130%)
    - Aggressive -> Full overdrive (300%)

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great info. Please keep it coming.

7. mlws

mlws Rookie

May 4, 2013
    #107 mlws, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    @Wolfgang72

What's the ETA for this product?
    If you can achieve around 60ms or less gearbox shifts in the F355 F1 you will crush it, it would be a fantastic upgrade.

As a kindly invitation you should contact and you should make a join venture for this project with TVS Engineering in The Netherlands, they have a huge experience in TCU software, they are top notch in VAG TCU's performance software with many features and safe parameters.
    https://tvsengineering.com/en/

Gents,
    Beside that, anyone around here knows who have an upgraded software for the Ferrari 360 Challange Stradale & Ferrari 430 16M Scuderia TCU software or someone have another custom TCU software above the OEM software?

Thanks
    Cheers

tgaspl17 likes this.
  8. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    My customer and I planned for 24 months. The target was to reduce shift times by 20% or 50 ms. There is an option for further improvements though.

60 ms would be incredible! But unrealistic for the F1 in the F355 to the same degree. This is what the latest supercar AMTs achieve under best conditions! But reaching 60 ms is not necessary. Knowing the stock F1, you would be excited and highly satisfied with much slower times.

Thanks for the link to TVS.

Wolfgang

9. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Wow that’s great can not wait for your updates
    I can only wish I had it like that all the modifications I do is for performance but not costing me more then the cars are worth

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Michael39GGT and Wolfgang72 like this.
  11. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If anyone is interested in a complete F1 355 setup, I just finished converting my F1 to manual and have a complete system, including the wiring harnesses (main harness and the smaller one on the engine). It is completely complete. Every bracket, fastener, component, heat shield, TCU, etc.

tgaspl17 and Qavion like this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Getting the kind of shift speeds they achieved on the scuderia isnt going to be possible with software change alone.If you refer to the Maserati training document I shared previously here, it explains how they achieved the increases in shift time through each generation. From my reading of it anyway, they key evolution was allowing the steps above to overlap to incrementally greater extent. In order to do this, they had to make small adjustments to the profiling of the rocker in the actuator.

Take a look below at an early 360 actuator design, and a late 430 design. Notice anything?

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice info

14. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    I wish I had this before. Not because of the technical description. But it would've helped me a lot in choosing concise names for the variables in the software. If I recall correctly, I had one variable that I called "actual demanded target clutch position", because it was holding the current set value of the target clutch position.

If I would've had predefined names it would've been a matter of simply doing the mapping.

To my information the design of the rocker was not changed before the 430. Thus the fastest shift times theoretically achievable would be that of the 360 CS. Which is in my opinion very nice compared to the stock F355.

Thanks for the great pictures!

ShineKen, taz355 and Qavion like this.
  15. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    #115 Wolfgang72, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Part 13 of Hacking the F1 TCU

Finally reversing the shift process was an important success! For my next milestone, I would now leave theory behind me and move towards practical work. But before I would start calibrating and tuning, I had to prepare a few things. The first was to properly record the current situation as reference for my future improvements. Or in other words to find out the time an untuned, "Stage 0" TCU takes for a gear shift

What's the definition of shift time anyway? Usually it is defined as the time during which no acceleration is possible. Having a look at the WSM, Ferrari mentions three phases in this context: Torque reduction (I), Actuation (II) and Torque return (III)

Torque reduction and return mainly refer to actuation of the clutch. However, they also include Torque adaption by the Motronic as shown at the top of the above figure. At the very beginning as well as at the very end of a shift, our TCU asks the Motronic to adapt torque in the way to support the shift. Both greatly increases comfort. Unfortunately, torque adaption is comparatively slow until it becomes effective. Thus, depending on the car maker's philosophy, it is sometimes skipped at heavy load (WOT). If so, the clutch operates (almost) under full torque. You certainly noticed in your F355 that shifts at high load and high rpm are rough (making clear, which philosophy Ferrari shares).

By the way, there is a trick when it comes to advertised shift times: Of course actuation of the clutch also takes some time. Therefore, some car makers take the above definition of shift time literally. As long as there is any positive torque delivered by the drivetrain (and thus accleration possible), shifting is not considered as ongoing. That is even a half open clutch does not contribute to the shift time, as long as overall torque stays positive. This way the advertised shift time improves by a few milliseconds

I'm not interested in advertisement. My definition of shift time exclusively depends on whether the clutch left its rest position (shift) or not (no shift).

To get a feeling of the stock shift times, I arranged a meeting with my client. When we met I installed my measurement equipment in his F355. Then we had a test drive. Below you find the result of a 2-3 shift under low load condition (throttle around 10%)

The red graph shows the clutch position, green is engagement position and blue selection position of the control arm. At first the clutch is closed. It then opens quickly (marker a, top left). After that the TCU disengages the current gear until neutral is reached and the control arm is freed. Then it moves the arm until the shift track for the target gear is selected (marker b). Now engagement starts. The arm moves the collar into the direction of the target gear until the sync disc touches. It stays there until the speed of input and output shaft match (c). Then the gear is fully engaged (d). Finally the clutch is closed. At first this happens quickly (e), but then rather slowly (f), until it is fully closed at the end (g).
    Have a look at the cursors (white bars), which measure shift time. As you can see, the entire process took around 1.5s. Obviously the TCU was not in a hurry. It clearly preferred comfort over shift speed. Especially the phase of closing of the clutch consumes a lot of time.

Side note: You may have noticed something odd in the measurement. The selection position jumps though gear engagement has already finished (x1). As explained in a previous post, all solenoids are switched off as soon as shifting finishes. At this point the control arm automatically moves into its rest position. Usually this is hardly noticeable, however in the above measurement the selection position changes a lot. (The engagement position also changes (x2), but only a little.) Thus, the shift linkage definitely is misaligned in terms of gear selection!
    The selection position is set by turning the gear linkage shaft. Back then I supposed that this shaft moved a bit after all the years. I explained it to my client. He then asked his mechanic to check, who confirmed and finally corrected the misalignment.

All right. With this setup I was now able to indepandantly measure gear shifts in reality. However, before starting with calibration and tuning, I had two more things to prepare. Of course it's my pleasure to tell you about them in my next posts.

Jaguar36, taz355, OCKlasse and 4 others like this.
  16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Fascinating as always Wolfgang. I assume you took a variety of data samples for different gear changes and at different speeds/throttle positions? My assumption would be that the above is the most relaxed shift strategy, but that the system will optimise speed over comfort significantly when engaged in more "spirited driving".

17. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    #117 Wolfgang72, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    You're right here. The most relaxed shift strategy though is for down shifts due to low speed, e.g. when approaching a red traffic light.

I took a lot more samples back then. However, when I came back to my office and analyzed them, I noticed something interesting: When we did our test drive, we had a warm-up, some specific driving scenarios I asked him for (including harder accelerations) and in between a lot of normal driving. The sample you see above is a typical example for the latter one. It is an ordinary shift, I had plenty of these in my measurement.

Technically it is perfectly fine. The increased shift time doesn't matter when you accelerate moderately, e.g. like you do in normal traffic. But emotionally it is a disappointment. The car feels lazy and not like a Ferrari.

I know the F355 as imposing, impulsing, appealing, fun! With these shifts, which you experience most of the time, the F1 cannot keep up. In my interpretation that's the true reason why most people dislike the F1. Technologically it is superior to the manual. Unfortunately the F355 is not about technology, but about passion and fun.

That's why I chose this sample. It will really help the 355F1 to speed up these shifts! Along with the benchmark shift at full throttle, of course.

Skippr1999 and brogenville like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Can you hack the F355 Bilstein damper ECU?

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes that would be cool

20. Wolfgang72

Wolfgang72 Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Schmidt
    Please keep in mind that I'm doing business when reversing the TCU. I'm getting payed for everything you find in this blog.

Although I had no look at the damper ECU yet, I assume that it is not overly complex. So you might be better off to find an enthusiast with the right skills and then convince him of your idea. But please keep in mind that hacking will only be one part of the story. You'll also need an expert for chassis setup, an application engineer and test driver for re-calibration, access to a test track etc. Otherwise your result will not get any better than what's currently inside the ECU.

Michael39GGT, epb0, Qavion and 2 others like this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Is it possible to extract a map from a Bilstein damper ECU and reflash that exact map onto another Bilstein damper ECU?

22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    FHP to Standard ECU is what you're after? That would be cool...I'd pay up.

ShineKen likes this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That’s it. Re-flash the FHP map onto the standard ECU.

tres55 and Skippr1999 like this.
  24. mlws

mlws Rookie

May 4, 2013
  25. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    GTE has been rebuilding actuators for a long time now. Their service (and other competitors) in particular is why owning an F1 shouldn't be a stressor anymore. I believe all of their "improvements" are based on physical alterations to the actuators/power units that result in a faster shift time.